Pathetic Pence Disavows One of Deplorable Don’s Most Incendiary Proposals

christiefan915

Catalyst
Contributor
The Trump campaign appeared to disavow one of its most provocative policy proposals on Thursday, as Gov. Mike Pence of Indiana said explicitly that Donald Trump no longer wants to impose a temporary ban on Muslim immigration to the United States. In a round of television interviews in which he was asked to clarify once and for all where the campaign stands on the proposal, Pence, who opposed the ban before becoming Trump’s running mate, declared the idea dead. The reversal is a significant one for the Trump campaign, which was accused of promoting a policy that was discriminatory and likely unconstitutional when Trump unveiled it in the name of national security last year.

Asked on CNN about why he will not condemn the Muslim ban now, Pence said, “Because that’s not Donald Trump’s position now.”

In recent months, Trump has changed how he has talked about the ban, saying that “extreme vetting” of immigrants should be focused on people coming from countries that have been compromised by terrorists. But that idea led to more confusion, because it was not clear if it was an expansion of the Muslim ban or a shift away from it.

Still, the Trump campaign has continued to face questions about the ban because the press release from last December announcing the proposal has not been removed from Trump’s website.
“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on,” the release said.

But in a separate interview on MSNBC on Thursday, Pence made clear that the Muslim ban was no longer on the table.

“So not a ban on all Muslims?” Joe Scarborough, the host of “Morning Joe” asked Pence.

"Of course not,” Pence replied.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/10/06/pence-disavows-trumps-earlier-proposal-banning-muslims
 
But that idea led to more confusion, because it was not clear if it was an expansion of the Muslim ban or a shift away from it.
it's been clear. Trump modified his position months ago, to the extreme vetting from "terrorists states"

Kaine kept saying it's un-Constitutional to do that - but it's not
( his Democratic brain can't process the fact a country is free to set their own quotas/rules on immigration)
 
it's been clear. Trump modified his position months ago, to the extreme vetting from "terrorists states"

Kaine kept saying it's un-Constitutional to do that - but it's not
( his Democratic brain can't process the fact a country is free to set their own quotas/rules on immigration)

Why is it still on his website?

Donald J. Trump Statement on Preventing Muslim Immigration

(New York, NY) December 7th, 2015, -- Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on. According to Pew Research, among others, there is great hatred towards Americans by large segments of the Muslim population. Most recently, a poll from the Center for Security Policy released data showing "25% of those polled agreed that violence against Americans here in the United States is justified as a part of the global jihad" and 51% of those polled, "agreed that Muslims in America should have the choice of being governed according to Shariah." Shariah authorizes such atrocities as murder against non-believers who won't convert, beheadings and more unthinkable acts that pose great harm to Americans, especially women.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-...mp-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration
 
I always loved the part that says "figure out what is going on". It's classic vague Trump pseudo policy.
 
The Trump campaign appeared to disavow one of its most provocative policy proposals on Thursday, as Gov. Mike Pence of Indiana said explicitly that Donald Trump no longer wants to impose a temporary ban on Muslim immigration to the United States. In a round of television interviews in which he was asked to clarify once and for all where the campaign stands on the proposal, Pence, who opposed the ban before becoming Trump’s running mate, declared the idea dead. The reversal is a significant one for the Trump campaign, which was accused of promoting a policy that was discriminatory and likely unconstitutional when Trump unveiled it in the name of national security last year.

Asked on CNN about why he will not condemn the Muslim ban now, Pence said, “Because that’s not Donald Trump’s position now.”

In recent months, Trump has changed how he has talked about the ban, saying that “extreme vetting” of immigrants should be focused on people coming from countries that have been compromised by terrorists. But that idea led to more confusion, because it was not clear if it was an expansion of the Muslim ban or a shift away from it.

Still, the Trump campaign has continued to face questions about the ban because the press release from last December announcing the proposal has not been removed from Trump’s website.
“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on,” the release said.

But in a separate interview on MSNBC on Thursday, Pence made clear that the Muslim ban was no longer on the table.

“So not a ban on all Muslims?” Joe Scarborough, the host of “Morning Joe” asked Pence.

"Of course not,” Pence replied.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/10/06/pence-disavows-trumps-earlier-proposal-banning-muslims

Pence rumbled and bumbled and stumbled through that entire CNN interview, trying to backtrack and divert from the lies he told in the debate.
 
Back
Top