Television On The Web

leaningright

conservative democrat
Ok, I now have Internet good enough to stream television programming. I’d like to see some recommendations as to some apps to use (which ones do you like), cost, etc. I’m trying to see if I can eliminate DirectTV and still get the programs we watch. I also finally can get my locals through an antenna so that isn’t a problem. We watch a lot of sports of all kinds but like baseball and football the best.

Ok, I now have Internet good enough to stream television programming. I’d like to see some recommendations as to some apps to use (which ones do you like), cost, etc. I’m trying to see if I can eliminate DirectTV and still get the programs we watch. I also finally can get my locals through an antenna so that isn’t a problem. We watch a lot of sports of all kinds but like baseball and football the best.

I prefer television on the television.

There's also SlingTV if you just want a direct replacement for traditional channel based television. They might have ESPN on there.

Unfortunately live sports streaming is the one thing the internet really sucks at.

I prefer television on the television.

I literally don't even have a television, I have a computer and an android phone and that's it as far as media devices. Everytime I want to watch something, I stream it. I've never felt the need to have a dedicated television.

I want to try this as well. I just need to wait until my contract with comcast is up this fall.

You can get Directv online for a third of the cost of the satellite service. Unfortunately, for sports type stuff, this is what you'll probably need. https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff

What other shows do you watch?

You can get Directv online for a third of the cost of the satellite service. Unfortunately, for sports type stuff, this is what you'll probably need. https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff

What other shows do you watch?

Trying Amazon Prime free for 30 days. I know we won’t stay with it because we aren’t big movie watchers but the internet is performing fabulously. I watch CNN occasionally, some National Geographic, Lots Of sports programming like the MLB Network, NFL Network, etc. Almost every program my wife watches is on CBS Network. That’s really about it.

Trying Amazon Prime free for 30 days. I know we won’t stay with it because we aren’t big movie watchers but the internet is performing fabulously. I watch CNN occasionally, some National Geographic, Lots Of sports programming like the MLB Network, NFL Network, etc. Almost every program my wife watches is on CBS Network. That’s really about it.

Most streaming services are actually pretty cruddy when it comes to movies, where they really shine is TV shows imo.

Also I have Amazon Prime and I don't even ever use its streaming service lol. I subscribe purely for the two day shipping. It's kind of an amazing deal.

We use Amazon Prime for streaming as well. As a student I get it for half price. We also have Direct TV satellite. Unfortunately we live too far away and on the other side of the mountains from town, so even if the antenna up on the roof was functional I doubt if we could pick up the local broadcast stuff.

Get an HD antenna for local broadcasting and a streaming device (unless you already have a smart TV). If you live a long way from the broadcasting point you’ll need a high range one but you can get one for under $100 at Walmart. Then subscribe to Hulu and Netflix for streaming programs and movies. If you’re a big sports fan you can subscribe to ESPN online. Depending on your rates for broadband internet you’ll reduce your cost to around $75/month and be able to watch about 95% of what you watch on a direct TV subscription with broadband internet and HD programming l.

My monthly cost for direct TV was close to $150/mo so I cut my cost by about half by cutting the cord.

I get most of my sporting events off of local programming on the HD Antenna (Reds, Bengals, Blue Jackets and Buckeyes). Though some live sporting, usually a Buckeye football game broadcast on ESPN, I need to go to a local sports bar like Bdubs to watch but that’s just a few games a year.

Last edited:
The only thing that keep s me from cutting the cord is PBS. I cannot find a web-based alternative that has the one-off PBS stations I watch and their online subscription has very limited content.

Back