Big Lawns: Bad For The Environment And Racist

Yeah, you responded to it, it's right above, didn't go anywhere:

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman

With:

And it is your race baiting thread afterall.
I never said people who vote differently than me should leave the country. She has. So I'm just wishing her the best in getting her hypocritical Trump supporting neighbor to leave

I never said people who vote differently than me should leave the country. She has. So I'm just wishing her the best in getting her hypocritical Trump supporting neighbor to leave

Hissyfit on my friend. Gotta run, I think I hear someone saying something I may need to start a thread on, sounds like I may be able to get to outraged if I work at it.

In the Piedmont, the turf-type tall fescue has certain needs. My house is in a pricey 'hood so we try to keep up with the Jones as much as possible. Preemergent in the spring to prevent crabgrass, NPK and lime in the early spring and fall. Usually need to overseed end of February due to selective die-off during summer heat, usually where my mulching mower deposits too much cuttings. Late spring, Weed-B-Gone to kill the broads that made it through the Pre-e. I water as little as possible, but during summer drought weeks I give it a good soak, about two hours per pattern with an oscillating sprinkler.

In the mountains we can grow bluegrass, but I prefer creeping red fescue because it grows slower. This is a much more natural landscape, which I prefer but is also encouraged by the HOA. Since I'm not there as much it saves me from weekly summer mowing. It also develops rhizomes so I don't need to overseed as much. Crab isn't a problem so no pre-e. Like the Cape, I get adequate snow that fertilizes. No need for lime either. I have wild strawberries growing among the sunny areas and don't try to control that at all. Along the driveway I tend to get broads and I spray those during the summer. In the deep shade areas the moss is taking over and by keeping it acidic I encourage it.

I have a Cape Cod lawn.
Mow it if it needs it.
Do nothing else.
I live on a salt pond. Anything I put on my lawn affects the pond

Way too sensible.

Sadly we are quickly being gentrified, and teaching folks from Long Island, the land of the putting green lawn not to use round up and other poisons on our sole source aquifer or near sensitive Marsh ecosystems is not an easy task.

On one hand I agree that one person claiming something doesn't make it true. But should this Chinese lady's cry of racism because they can't plant vegetables and what they want in their yard be summarily dismissed?

Not sure what California has to do with this but if you are talking California and environmental policies we use them force the working class out of the state.

One person's perspective should always be viewed as just that. Individually meaningless.

The environment matters brother, and you cannot build your way out of what ails California. Should San Francisco and LA become Tokyo? They pack lots of people in tiny spaces in tall buildings. Do you really want to do that in LA?

I agree that affordable housing is a problem in California, but leaving California for a more affordable environment is not the end of the world. I did it, never looked back.

Sadly we are quickly being gentrified, and teaching folks from Long Island, the land of the putting green lawn not to use round up and other poisons on our sole source aquifer or near sensitive Marsh ecosystems is not an easy task.

Always the way it is, same with the "old world" coming to the "new world" only to fuck it all up and turn it into the "old world".

Hopefully you can get your neighbor to leave the country

What? Nah, she bought an even bigger house in a more expensive area and moved away. We liked the new neighbor better. He was super nice and often mowed his lawn without a shirt on. Well, one of us liked that part. lol

One of the Hispanics in my neighborhood has the nicest landscaping on the block because he's a professional landscaper.

The Mexican in my 'hood owns several restaurants and doesn't have the time or inclination to do anything to his landscaping. He's also a terrible driver, and squashed a neighbor's toy poodle flat, right in front his kids. That was an epic day.

Stop lying. You claimed that I said that a while back, and when I confronted you and asked for the thread and post #, you backtracked. Then it turned into I liked someone's post so that meant that *I* said people who vote differently than me should leave the country. You need to get your head out of your ass because you get it stuck there.

Yes, they are. The trend in STL and its older suburbs the last few years before we left was to loosen up on those ordinances regarding personal property/yards. People are allowed to have a wildflower garden instead of grass, to keep chickens in some municipalities, and to keep bees as well.

My city has gone in the opposite direction. I am fairly lucky though. I have a plethora of violations going on at my place at any given time, but they are too focused on the guy across the street and up one from me to ever even see them. The guy is a NYC firefighter who came south with his 9/11 disability and is all kinds of attitude and is A No. 1 on their shit-list. He and the city feud so much they are laser focused on his property anytime they roll through. In all fairness to them, his property is pretty crap. In all fairness to him, it started with them when one branch of the local government authorized him to do a pretty big project only to have another send him a cease and desist order when he was half way through it, so it has been sitting as a perma-construction zone for about 4 years now.

I own more trees than I can possibly count on my property.

Does that make me racist or green lol?

That’s actually not true. I effectively rent it from the state because if I don’t pay my taxes they’ll take it ‘back’. There’s something not right about that.

That’s actually not true. I effectively rent it from the state because if I don’t pay my taxes they’ll take it ‘back’. There’s something not right about that.

You could put it in a non-profit trust ;)

My old farmland is like that (trees not trust). Tons of trees as happens when you only go out to it a couple times a year. I just rent parts of it out until I get around to building me a house on it. Right now, a farmer rents the fields on one side of the road to grow on and a riding club rents part of the other side of the road. The rest just grows trees.

LOL, yeah it's not exactly home ownership, is it?

My city has gone in the opposite direction. I am fairly lucky though. I have a plethora of violations going on at my place at any given time, but they are too focused on the guy across the street and up one from me to ever even see them. The guy is a NYC firefighter who came south with his 9/11 disability and is all kinds of attitude and is A No. 1 on their shit-list. He and the city feud so much they are laser focused on his property anytime they roll through. In all fairness to them, his property is pretty crap. In all fairness to him, it started with them when one branch of the local government authorized him to do a pretty big project only to have another send him a cease and desist order when he was half way through it, so it has been sitting as a perma-construction zone for about 4 years now.

That stinks for both that guy and the neighbors as well. I got a feeling that being reported to the city has a lot to do with your relations with your neighbors, you think?

When we lived in the STL area, there was a tiny house two blocks down and on a side street corner where the woman who lived there had transformed the tiny front yard into a wildlife garden. I used to admire it greatly on my daily trots. The house next to her sold and the new ppl (a young couple) apparently didn't feel the love, so the Wild Garden Yard lady got a visit and a warning from the city. I only found out because shortly afterwards I passed by and saw her out in the front angrily cutting down things. Stopped to talk and she gave the story. Told her how much I admired her landscaping and all the creatures that called it home, and told her where we lived -- and she actually said our front yard inspired her! I was so humbled. I suggested that she contact NWF and also become a certified wildlife habitat. (https://www.nwf.org/Garden-for-Wildlife/Certify) She did so, put a NWF sign in the midst of her landscaping, and often had random ppl just stop by and knock on her door and ask for her advice. Oh, and the city left her alone as well because our Mayor and city council were pretty liberal-thinking ppl. It's interesting that we sold our home to another young couple, who promptly cut down the mature blue spruce in the front yard, chain-sawed "Mama and Poppa" -- our native American bittersweet vines that framed the doorway of our humble abode, and tore out the rain garden in favor of LAWN. Because kids apparently think you must have LAWN to fit in, or something. I don't even want to know what they did to our backyard sanctuary with the vines, ferns, perennials, raised beds veggie garden, and flowers. Bet it's all LAWN.

That stinks for both that guy and the neighbors as well. I got a feeling that being reported to the city has a lot to do with your relations with your neighbors, you think?

When we lived in the STL area, there was a tiny house two blocks down and on a side street corner where the woman who lived there had transformed the tiny front yard into a wildlife garden. I used to admire it greatly on my daily trots. The house next to her sold and the new ppl (a young couple) apparently didn't feel the love, so the Wild Garden Yard lady got a visit and a warning from the city. I only found out because shortly afterwards I passed by and saw her out in the front angrily cutting down things. Stopped to talk and she gave the story. Told her how much I admired her landscaping and all the creatures that called it home, and told her where we lived -- and she actually said our front yard inspired her! I was so humbled. I suggested that she contact NWF and also become a certified wildlife habitat. (https://www.nwf.org/Garden-for-Wildlife/Certify) She did so, put a NWF sign in the midst of her landscaping, and often had random ppl just stop by and knock on her door and ask for her advice. Oh, and the city left her alone as well because our Mayor and city council were pretty liberal-thinking ppl. It's interesting that we sold our home to another young couple, who promptly cut down the mature blue spruce in the front yard, chain-sawed "Mama and Poppa" -- our native American bittersweet vines that framed the doorway of our humble abode, and tore out the rain garden in favor of LAWN. Because kids apparently think you must have LAWN to fit in, or something. I don't even want to know what they did to our backyard sanctuary with the vines, ferns, perennials, raised beds veggie garden, and flowers. Bet it's all LAWN.

I qualify for the backyard wildlife habitat thing but never applied. Just seems like a money scheme to me. There are two baby possums on my back porch as I type. They like to come sit on the rail. Not sure why. Might be afraid of the dark.

Grass isn't evil. Had a discussion with an woodland expert on reddit awhile back about grass vs. trees. He agreed that grassland has to be part of the balance.

Back