Members banned from this thread: moon, Text Drivers are Killers, tsuke and Theywillneverlearn!

Thread: How antisemitism became an American crisis

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default How antisemitism became an American crisis

Jews have always been fleeing, but America was the country from which Jews would never have to flee. They fled from Eastern Europe, Germany and the Soviet Union (as my family did in the 1980s). They settled on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and in West Philadelphia. They opened delis in Denver and Indianapolis. They went to Ivy League colleges and played in the NFL.

And now, suddenly, after all this time, after so many waves of assimilation and acceptance, after “Seinfeld” and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, many American Jews have come to feel like strangers in their own home.

"America was our promised land but we might not be safe here anymore,” the artist Deborah Kass recently wrote, expressing a sentiment that is increasingly voiced at synagogues, where armed guards are now commonplace, and at Shabbat tables, where younger American Jews are suddenly facing anxieties that had supposedly been expunged several generations ago.

Not so. One of America’s most successfully assimilated minorities is being yanked out of its hard-won comfort zone, astonishing Jewish scholars and religious leaders, as well as extremism experts who see the sharp spike in antisemitism as a symptom of deeper social malaise that could threaten other groups — and American democracy itself.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-antis...174246445.html
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-29-2022), ThatOwlWoman (11-29-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Since then, the question has taken on even more urgency. Last week, having just announced his third run for president, former President Donald Trump hosted a Thanksgiving dinner at his South Florida estate with two of the most prominent antisemites in the United States: white nationalist and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes and rapper-entrepreneur Kanye West.

It was not Trump’s first flirtation with antisemitism or antisemites. Steve Bannon — his last campaign manager in 2016 and, afterward, his chief White House political strategist — was frequently denounced for use of classic antisemitic tropes (“globalists,” “international bankers,” etc.). Trump’s administration also harbored figures like Sebastian Gorka, proudly affiliated with a pro-Nazi outfit in his native Hungary, and Darren Beattie, who openly consorted with far-right extremists. Just days after taking office in 2017.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

This trend was increasing even before the Four Long Years of Sorrow, but Der Gropingfuehrer fed it red meat. The Reichwing has always despised American Jews, while practically worshiping Israeli Jews. But now they're acting on that hate.

It seems like fascism arises when the citizens get complacent, doesn't it?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-29-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    This trend was increasing even before the Four Long Years of Sorrow, but Der Gropingfuehrer fed it red meat. The Reichwing has always despised American Jews, while practically worshiping Israeli Jews. But now they're acting on that hate.

It seems like fascism arises when the citizens get complacent, doesn't it?
    worshiping Israeli Jews
    And that is tied up in their end times fantasies

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,762 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

I've been reading an awful lot about anti-Jewish sentiment becoming a major problem.

That's pretty bad if it's true, and it must be because why would anybody make it up?

The thing is, I haven't personally seem it.
    My Jewish friends in Boston don't seem to be walking around in Kevlar.

I live in a community where ethnic slurs are used routinely, people even referring to their own ethnicities with ethnic slurs,
    simply because city people think that it's a funny way to talk.

"Arnie, you motherfucking hebe, when are we getting together for lunch?"

I understand that none of you are talking about unwoke silliness--you're talking about actual antisemitism.

Where is it happening most prominently--red states? Except for Florida, do they have that many Jews?

I'm not denying that the problem exists, nor am I denying that's it's unacceptable if it does,
    but I really don't see it to any great extent in my admittedly semi-isolationist life.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I've been reading an awful lot about anti-Jewish sentiment becoming a major problem.

That's pretty bad if it's true, and it must be because why would anybody make it up?

The thing is, I haven't personally seem it.
    My Jewish friends in Boston don't seem to be walking around in Kevlar.

I live in a community where ethnic slurs are used routinely, people even referring to their own ethnicities with ethnic slurs,
    simply because city people think that it's a funny way to talk.

"Arnie, you motherfucking hebe, when are we getting together for lunch?"

I understand that none of you are talking about unwoke silliness--you're talking about actual antisemitism.

Where is it happening most prominently--red states? Except for Florida, do they have that many Jews?

I'm not denying that the problem exists, nor am I denying that's it's unacceptable if it does,
    but I really don't see it to any great extent in my admittedly semi-isolationist life.
    There is a lot that isn't reported in the press , As a member of a Jewish federation we hear from other Synagogues and individuals across the country, It isn't like germany in the 30' and 40's but most of us had families murdered and it all started out with what we are seeing and hearing now

Growing up we never had to have hardened Synagogues (multiple layers of security) It was low key like the catholic school kids chasing us to try to beat us for killing their jesus ( this was pre vatican II)

Now it is becoming mainstream in trumps party

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,893 Times in 6,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Jews have always been fleeing, but America was the country from which Jews would never have to flee. They fled from Eastern Europe, Germany and the Soviet Union (as my family did in the 1980s). They settled on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and in West Philadelphia. They opened delis in Denver and Indianapolis. They went to Ivy League colleges and played in the NFL.

And now, suddenly, after all this time, after so many waves of assimilation and acceptance, after “Seinfeld” and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, many American Jews have come to feel like strangers in their own home.

"America was our promised land but we might not be safe here anymore,” the artist Deborah Kass recently wrote, expressing a sentiment that is increasingly voiced at synagogues, where armed guards are now commonplace, and at Shabbat tables, where younger American Jews are suddenly facing anxieties that had supposedly been expunged several generations ago.

Not so. One of America’s most successfully assimilated minorities is being yanked out of its hard-won comfort zone, astonishing Jewish scholars and religious leaders, as well as extremism experts who see the sharp spike in antisemitism as a symptom of deeper social malaise that could threaten other groups — and American democracy itself.

Rachel Maddow said recently, "when fascism comes to America it always comes with a heapin' helpin' of antisemitism."

It's been true, throughout history.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-29-2022)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

RB 60 (11-30-2022)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's quite clear and easy to see. It's grown out of the hatred for jews at universities across America and we have known for decades that leftists generally HATE Jews.
    Last edited by Yakuda; 11-30-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Education is a system of imposed ignorance" - Noam Chomsky

"Leftists actually think everyone is as stupid as a leftist." - Yakuda

"No, Trump isn't a fascist, tatt boy." - moon

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Judaism is racism made into a religion.

it's prima facie repugnant.