Members banned from this thread: AProudLefty and ParachuteAdams

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DEMOCRATS in the news

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default DEMOCRATS in the news

FAUXCAHONTAS ON WARPATH - SQUAW BLAMES CORPORATE GREED FOR HEAP BIG FOOD PRICES

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 829 Times in 788 Posts

As I have previously pointed out Kroger Foods (one of the largest supermarket chains in the US) currently has a profit margin of 0.86%. That is, they make less than 1% profit on their gross sales. How much lower should they go in Warren's opinion?

Sorry. I looked up Kroger's current margin. It's down to 0.75% at the moment...

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...Other%20Stocks

So, the phony Indian princess is full of shit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Callinectes (01-13-2022)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    As I have previously pointed out Kroger Foods (one of the largest supermarket chains in the US) currently has a profit margin of 0.86%. That is, they make less than 1% profit on their gross sales. How much lower should they go in Warren's opinion?

As usual.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Instead of talking about margins, why don't you just post their actual profits?

Is the reason because their profits are in the billions, and you can't make a phony baloney point about that?
    Last edited by LV426; 01-12-2022 at 02:26 PM.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So TA does the thing most sophists do (lazily, I might add)...

He harps about the profit margins for a business like Kroger, but doesn't mention what those actual profits are.

The reason is because Kroger's profits are in the billions, and TA can't make a lousy point about Elizabeth Warren if everyone knew exactly how much money Kroger was making.

So he hid it and obscured it instead.

Because a "0.75% margin" sounds a lot worse than "$2B in annual profit".

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Schumer admits it

DEMOCRAT

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

TA is and always has been a big, windy gasbag of sophistry and bullshit.

-Kroger annual net income for 2021 was $2.585B, a 55.82% increase from 2020.
    -Kroger annual net income for 2020 was $1.659B, a 46.66% decline from 2019.
    -Kroger annual net income for 2019 was $3.11B, a 63.08% increase from 2018.

So Kroger makes billions in profit, but TA doesn't want you to know that because it undermines his shitty argument, beliefs, and policies.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

DEMOCRAT

Grocery stores consistently have among the lowest profit margins of any economic sector.

According to data compiled this month by New York University finance professor Aswath Damodaran, the entire retail grocery industry currently averages barely more than 1 percent in net profit.

In its most recent quarter, Kroger reported a profit margin of 0.75 percent, during a time in which Warren claims that the chain was "expanding profits" due to its "market dominance."

In actuality, for much of the last year, grocery stores have seen enormous boosts in revenue, but not increased profitability, for the simple reason that everything has been costing more: not just products, but transportation, employee compensation, and all the extra logistical steps needed to adapt to shopping during a pandemic.

Couple that with persistent inflation—which Warren also recently blamed on "price gouging"—and it is no wonder that things seem a bit out of balance.

https://reason.com/2022/01/12/elizabeth-warren-blames-high-food-prices-on-grocery-chains-record-1-percent-profit-margins/

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Margins don't pay CEO salaries...revenues do.

Gross revenues for Kroger are in the tens of billions.

Net profits for Kroger are about $2B a year.

But TA doesn't want you to know that because he likes licking boots.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If Warren wishes to truly rein in the costs of Americans' groceries, the solutions are clear: Cool off inflation by paring back profligate government spending; remove protectionist restrictions to allow industries to get the supply chain back on track; in the longer term, cut back on red tape to better allow competition among suppliers.

These fixes may not be as flashy as "break up Big Grocery," but they at least reflect the situation accurately.

https://reason.com/2022/01/12/elizabeth-warren-blames-high-food-prices-on-grocery-chains-record-1-percent-profit-margins/

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post

Is the reason because their profits are in the billions, and you can't make a phony baloney point about that?
    So? If they make billions that means they're selling trillions in product, because less than 1% of what they sell stuff for ends up being profit in their pockets.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post

Because that's irrelevant to the discussion. If a company's gross revenue is say $100 billion and the profit on that after paying the bills is $1 billion, that company isn't making some "obscene" profit off of its business.

These are companies that have obscene profit margins. Maybe Warren should be bitching about them, but she probably won't because they probably give her big campaign donations...

https://www.investors.com/research/p...more%20rows%20

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So? If they make billions that means they're selling trillions in product, because less than 1% of what they sell stuff for ends up being profit in their pockets.
    So what if 1% of what they sell ends up being profit? THEY MAKE $2B A YEAR IN PROFIT.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Because that's irrelevant to the discussion.
    Wrong. It's completely relevant because Warren is talking about taxing profits, not taxing revenues or margins.

You shifted away from what Warren was talking about because Kroger makes $2B in profit a year, and you can't let other people know that because then it undermines your weak argument.

I see right through this act.

If a company's gross revenue is say $100 billion and the profit on that after paying the bills is $1 billion, that company isn't making some "obscene" profit off of its business.
    $1B in profit is obscene...and they make double that.

hese are companies that have obscene profit margins.
    Oh woe the CEO whose company only made $2B last year.

How's that boot taste?

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Manchin Was Right

DEMOCRAT

Manchin was correct about inflation and its attendant risks.

Manchin’s many critics were wrong about inflation and its attendant risks.

The United States is fortunate that Senator Manchin has withstood the considerable pressure to acquiesce to a lie, and steadfastly held his ground.

Today’s numbers are utterly disastrous.

Per CNBC, “Inflation plowed ahead at its fastest 12-month pace in nearly 40 years during December, according to a closely watched gauge the Labor Department released Wednesday.” “The consumer price index,” the outlet documented, “increased 7%.”

This is the fastest increase since 1982.

The last year has been the tale of two Joes.

There has been Joe Biden, who insisted that “there’s nobody suggesting there’s unchecked inflation on the way — no serious economist — that’s totally different.”

In December, when inflation could no longer be denied, Biden alternated between insisting that inflation was about to go away and pretending that his plan to spend another $3.5 trillion would somehow prevent it from getting worse.

astonishingly enough, his approach is only growing worse. Yesterday, Roll Call confirmed that, in addition to its demand for $3.5 trillion for “Build Back Better,” “the Biden administration is preparing to ask Congress for ‘substantial’ funding to address the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic domestically and abroad.” Quoting Steny Hoyer, the journal recorded that the president “will ask lawmakers to appropriate funding for testing, vaccines and ‘to make sure schools have resources to keep themselves safe.’”

The obvious question here is why.

As of today, the federal government has spent $5.6 trillion on Covid relief, $2 trillion of which was passed by the DEMOCRATS in March.

There is plenty of money swilling around for “testing” and “vaccines.” And schools?

As MSNBC’s Chris Hayes has noted, “Last spring Congress distributed $123 billion dollars to K-12 schools for Covid preparedness” — “nearly $1 million per school.” And now they want more?

Why?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/01/joe-manchin-was-right