Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Officials want to clear a mile-long homeless camp on a Sonoma County bike trail. Some

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    This is on California, not the federal government. Liberal states are the only ones with huge homeless problems.
    So you don't give a shit.
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Melchizedek For This Post:

evince (01-24-2020)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,207 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,204 Times in 1,881 Posts

Every year america gives $500 billion in freebies to illegal aliens but says hell with homeless citizens.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    I never said that. It's leftist loons like you who don't give a shit. You keep voting for the same stupid shit, and think you're going to get a different result.
    Every life matters

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Callinectes (01-19-2020), Truth Detector (01-24-2020)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    [B][SIZE=3]Officials want to clear a mile-long homeless camp on a Sonoma County bike trail. Some don't want to go

I think it's a damn shame we even have homeless in this country?!! Coming up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, I never did see any homeless people?!!
    Have you ever considered that the population has almost tripled since those halcyon days when you had to haul the water in from the well and heat it for your Saturday night bath? Hell, I lived in Sonoma County(Santa Rosa)in the 90's and I NEVER saw a homeless person. I have another theory though, besides population growth, wanna hear it?

Okay. Leftist policies, state and federal, are driving productive Californians out of the state, disappearing tax base means you can't throw massive amounts of money at the problem, lots of poor people moving in because of the weather, and families don't stay together and help each other anymore.
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (01-19-2020)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    In NYC, over half the homeless have a job. It is not enough to get them a home. And as another poster did put it, there are a lot of difficulties in getting a job without a home.

The most successful policy they have found to get rid of homeless is Housing First. Trying to solve other problems (mental health, drug addiction, employment) when homeless is almost impossible. If you get them into housing first, everything else will often fall into place. All other policies have less than a 10% success rate, but Housing First has over a 90% success rate. It really is magical.

BUT, our minds rebel against giving someone who refuses to deal with their other problems free housing. It does not seem right.
    Or fiscally responsible lol.

What city or local government could possibly afford such a thing? Should they provide free heat and electricity? It would also have the unintended consequence of people seeing an opportunity in ‘becoming homeless’ in order to qualify for free housing. It could be as simple as living in a tent for a few weeks and filling out some papers.

That said, I don’t have an answer for it either.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Callinectes (01-19-2020)

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    He said it was on California, not that he didn’t care.

Most Americans are appalled at what the Democrats who control California have done to that once beautiful state.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Truth Detector (01-24-2020)

12. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Not all the homeless are mentally ill but there is a fair number of them. I thought this interesting why there could have been less homeless on the street way back when. They were living in hospitals.

""Deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill has roots in the civil rights and civil liberties movements of the 1960s, which envisioned more fulfilling lives for those who had been languishing in understaffed psychiatric hospitals through new medications and robust community-based services. The number of patients living in state hospitals dropped from 535,000 in 1960 to 137,000 in 1980.""

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519584/
    You can dial the roots back before that...

Beginning in the late 1950s, California became the national leader in aggressively moving patients from state hospitals to nursing homes and board-and-care homes, known in other states by names such as group homes, boarding homes, adult care homes, family care homes, assisted living facilities, community residential facilities, adult foster homes, transitional living facilities, and residential care facilities. Hospital wards closed as the patients left. By the time Ronald Reagan assumed the governorship in 1967, California had already deinstitutionalized more than half of its state hospital patients. That same year, California passed the landmark Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) Act, which virtually abolished involuntary hospitalization except in extreme cases. Thus, by the early 1970s California had moved most mentally ill patients out of its state hospitals and, by passing LPS, had made it very difficult to get them back into a hospital if they relapsed and needed additional care. California thus became a canary in the coal mine of deinstitutionalization.

https://www.salon.com/2013/09/29/ron...ental_illness/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

TTQ64 (01-20-2020)

14. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Callinectes View Post
    Hell, I lived in Sonoma County(Santa Rosa)in the 90's and I NEVER saw a homeless person.
    that was before the demmycrats built the bike path........the county calls it a bike path, the homeless call it Main Street.......I bet its a faster commute than the freeway......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

16. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Officials want to clear a mile-long homeless camp on a Sonoma County bike trail. Some don't want to go

I get tired of public officials with their, out of sight and out of mind policies, making the homeless move?!!

If I was homeless, my main concern would be bathing and clean underwear to put on afterward?!! I take showers everyday, a habit I kept from the army?!!

Santa Rosa, California (CNN)The globs of peanut butter were evenly applied. But this was no sandwich.

Pest control workers were using the spread as bait as they installed rat traps -- 340 of them -- throughout the mile-long homeless encampment after infrared video from a sheriff's helicopter revealed a major rodent infestation.

"I think it's sad and overwhelming," said pest control technician Matt Dougherty of the conditions for more than 200 homeless residents. "We're here just to make it better for them."
    The rat problem could hardly have been a surprise. Trash and human waste had been piling up for months along the Joe Rodota Trail, nestled behind neighborhoods in the heart of Northern California wine country.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/us/sa...amp/index.html

I think it's a damn shame we even have homeless in this country?!! Coming up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, I never did see any homeless people?!!

Coming up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, I never did see any homeless people?!!
    They were in places called skid row.

What have you done to ease the problem? I donate to our local homeless charities and rescue mission.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

18. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 8,274 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    What city or local government could possibly afford such a thing? Should they provide free heat and electricity? It would also have the unintended consequence of people seeing an opportunity in ‘becoming homeless’ in order to qualify for free housing. It could be as simple as living in a tent for a few weeks and filling out some papers.
    I told you that the human mind rebels against the only answer we have. I agree with your feelings, and do not want to accept the things I am about to post.

It turns out that Housing First saves money. You end up paying for housing for a short time, which is less expensive than dealing with the homeless people on the streets. The huge cost saving is in reduced crime. Remember dealing with crime involves much more expensive subsidized housing called jail.

Sure you could quit your job, be homeless for a few weeks, then get free housing, and finally get a new job and start paying rent again... But why? You sort of end up in the same place as you started. You are going to lose a lot of your possessions along the way. As part of the free housing, you are getting locked in to programs that will help you get fit for a job, and to accept a job.

I used to give financial advise to the poor as part of a charity, and I can tell you that people want jobs. They may not always want to work, but they always want the extra income that a job gives, and the feeling they are doing something. It keeps them stable, and is a general benefit.

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Or fiscally responsible lol.

That said, I don’t have an answer for it either.
    Actually Utah and Salt Lake City were one of the first to do the Housing First policy and they had a lot of success with it. And we all know Utah is a pretty conservative state. We can look at their results vs the billions we spend on homelessness in California and the results we (don't) get.

20. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I told you that the human mind rebels against the only answer we have. I agree with your feelings, and do not want to accept the things I am about to post.

It turns out that Housing First saves money. You end up paying for housing for a short time, which is less expensive than dealing with the homeless people on the streets. The huge cost saving is in reduced crime. Remember dealing with crime involves much more expensive subsidized housing called jail.

Sure you could quit your job, be homeless for a few weeks, then get free housing, and finally get a new job and start paying rent again... But why? You sort of end up in the same place as you started. You are going to lose a lot of your possessions along the way. As part of the free housing, you are getting locked in to programs that will help you get fit for a job, and to accept a job.

I used to give financial advise to the poor as part of a charity, and I can tell you that people want jobs. They may not always want to work, but they always want the extra income that a job gives, and the feeling they are doing something. It keeps them stable, and is a general benefit.
    Well, let’s give them jobs lol.

Let’s do everything we can to keep the economy going. Any homeless people that are looking for work should be able to find it.

And my ‘feelings’ have nothing to do with it. Even modest housing is expensive to construct and the money has to come from somewhere.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Actually Utah and Salt Lake City were one of the first to do the Housing First policy and they had a lot of success with it. And we all know Utah is a pretty conservative state. We can look at their results vs the billions we spend on homelessness in California and the results we (don't) get.
    Didn’t know that.

I’ll venture to say Salt Lake City isn’t strapped for cash like lots of liberal run cities are.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

24. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Didn’t know that.

I’ll venture to say Salt Lake City isn’t strapped for cash like lots of liberal run cities are.
    San Francisco, LA, Portland and Seattle aren't strapped for cash. They spend hundreds of millions annually on the homeless. In SF we spend that amount and don't get results so we raise taxes then we spend that additional money and still don't results.

It's about how you spend the money. And in Utah the program seems to have had good success which makes it a potential model for others to follow. It sure beats the "we spend and a lot and say we care thus we're emphatic" approach that doesn't get results.

25. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

San Francisco, LA, Portland and Seattle aren't strapped for cash. They spend hundreds of millions annually on the homeless. In SF we spend that amount and don't get results so we raise taxes then we spend that additional money and still don't results.

It's about how you spend the money. And in Utah the program seems to have had good success which makes it a potential model for others to follow. It sure beats the "we spend and a lot and say we care thus we're emphatic" approach that doesn't get results.
    If SF is in the Black why do they keep raising their taxes?

Doesn’t make any sense. They probably have good cash flow [with their tax rates I don’t know how they could keep from it] but you can still be underwater with good cash flow.