Thread: Capitol attack reflects US extremist evolution over decades

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    And what? SPLC and ADL have been disowned by FBI. Btw, it seems ironic that the Anti-Defamation League's primary technique is defaming people.
    No the FBI hasn't disowned them. All they did was removing the links as resources on their Civil Rights page.

And how do you defame the Jew haters? They already do that to themselves.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    No the FBI hasn't disowned them. All they did was removing the links as resources on their Civil Rights page.

And how do you defame the Jew haters? They already do that to themselves.
    Some things can't be questioned; is that what you are trying to say?

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Some things can't be questioned; is that what you are trying to say?
    Where did that come from? No that isn't what I am trying to say.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

The Southern Poverty Law Center has lost all credibility
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...549_story.html

The SPLC is a once-storied organization that did important work filing civil rights lawsuits against the Ku Klux Klan in the 1970s. But it has become a caricature of itself, labeling virtually anyone who does not fall in line with its left-wing ideology an “extremist” or “hate group.”

Nawaz is a case in point. Since abandoning Islamic radicalism, he has advised three British prime ministers and created the Quilliam Foundation, to fight extremism. He is not anti-Muslim. He is a Muslim and has argued that “Islam is a religion of peace.”

So how did he end up in the SPLC’s pseudo-guide to anti-Muslim bigots? His crime, apparently, is that he has become a leading critic of the radical Islamist ideology he once embraced.
    Thanks to his courage, the SPLC has been forced to pay a multimillion-dollar penalty and acknowledge in a statement that it was “wrong” and that Nawaz has “made valuable and important contributions to public discourse, including by promoting pluralism and condemning both anti-Muslim bigotry and Islamist extremism.”

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Where did that come from? No that isn't what I am trying to say.
    It came from you. I can phrase it differently if you like. The FBI, which used to list those organizations on their site, removed them several years ago. They are not reliable. Perhaps you should take it up with them.

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It came from you. I can phrase it differently if you like. The FBI, which used to list those organizations on their site, removed them several years ago. They are not reliable. Perhaps you should take it up with them.
    Where did the FBI say they're not reliable? What they said is that they are not government owned sites. Pretty sure if the government bought those sites, they'll be back on the page.

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

“The problem partly stems from the fact that the organization wears two hats, as both an activist group and a source of information,”
    In February, the group again raised eyebrows by adding to its list of hate groups the hard-line Center for Immigration Studies—an anti-immigration think tank criticized for pushing bogus claims about the dangers of immigrants, but which has also been invited to testify before Congress more than 100 times.

Is tough immigration control really a form of hate, or just part of the political conversation? Does rejecting a religion make you an extremist? At a time when the line between “hate group” and mainstream politics is getting thinner and the need for productive civil discourse is growing more serious, fanning liberal fears, while a great opportunity for the SPLC, might be a problem for the nation.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-center-215312

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Umm...Patton’s 5th Army wasn’t there when it happened lol.

But they are there now over something that might happen. How long are they going to be there? Is this another new normal?
    DC looks like Managua with the permanent troops and temporary razor wire fences

9. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Darth Omar (01-24-2021)

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Diesel,

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I don't even want unity. What I would like is peace and a return to rationality.
    Unity is what we must strive for. These are our fellow Americans. Sure, most of the extremists are never going to back off. But for the rest of the right who have enabled them, we have to be prepared to allow rational conversation to happen again. I think a lot of people got a big wake-up call on Jan 6th. People on the right have got to be thinking twice about what they stand for. Most people on the right didn't want what happened. Most of the protesters did not break into the capitol. Many thought they were simply going to assemble outside the capitol and demonstrate. Those people stayed outside the barriers for a reason. They may have bought in and showed up for the rally, but they didn't show up with riot gear and zip ties. Only extremists did that.

Now we've got a choice. We can leave it open for unity if people got a big wake up call and want to rethink where they stand, or we can shut the door and keep things bitterly divided, thus ensuring our nation will fail to overcome this.

But we so desperately need to overcome this.

I'm not shutting the door on unity. I can't do that. It would feel like I was shutting the door on America.

We can have our differences on the left and on the right and still have American unity. Unity allows us to hold our own views. That's what America is all about. But we must always remember how much we have in common. We are all lucky to be Americans. There's a lot of people all around the world who wish they were us, even with our problems. I don't want to let what we have slip away. We have to protect our country from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. Right now, one of our biggest domestic enemies is bitter division.

We protect our country by leaving the door open for more unity. If we are to ask, as JFK proposed, "What can we do for our country," we have our answer. We can strive for more unity.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 01-23-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Diesel,

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I'm used to them dismissing credible sources that don't agree with them. Anyone with one functional brain cell knows that white supremacist and white nationalist groups became far more active and far more visible during the Trump presidency. Time to push all the racists back into the closet.
    Actually, white supremacy groups had an explosion of growth after a black man became president. That's when the whole birther thing began. It simply reached a fever pitch with Trump and his mouth. 2016 wasn't the first time Trump ran for president. He never got far until he figured out how to attach himself to the white supremacy hatred cause. That's what pushed him over the top.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-24-2021)

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Nope.

We have a troops amassed in DC [let that thought sink in] over something that *might happen* and Trump was shouted down for wanting to use them in a measured fashion vs something that was *actively going on*.

Also, there’s good reason to question whatever intelligence they are using since it was apparently a little faulty with the supposed attacks that were supposed to happen at state Capitols.

They went 0-50 on that.
    Our big stick worked.

We spoke softly and carried the big stick of NG presence. The deterrent worked. It is absurd to say it wasn't needed after it worked. Of course it was needed as a deterrent. Had that precaution been taken on Jan 6th, the mob never would have gotten into the capitol. It worked 50 times over. The one case where there were no NG is the one time the mob broke in and caused destruction and deaths.

14. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-23-2021)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

BartenderElite (01-23-2021)

16. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

That was a tiny, tiny fraction of the people that are pissed off and know that the election was cheated in America. That was just a drop in the bucket, you pieces of shit.
    They're coming for you now, you poked the bear 1 time too many.
    Those people made an unwise decision.

17. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth,

Our big stick worked.

We spoke softly and carried the big stick of NG presence. The deterrent worked. It is absurd to say it wasn't needed after it worked. Of course it was needed as a deterrent. Had that precaution been taken on Jan 6th, the mob never would have gotten into the capitol. It worked 50 times over. The one case where there were no NG is the one time the mob broke in and caused destruction and deaths.
    100%.

They did the right thing. Conservatives want to pretend that 1/6 didn't happen - or, even more ridiculous, that "antifa did it."

18. The Following User Groans At BartenderElite For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-23-2021)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-24-2021), PoliTalker (01-24-2021)

20. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    the SPLC, once a noble organization, is nothing other today than a corrupt and scandalous money machine. Feel free to look that up.
    One of the more vocal hate groups..

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Survivorman For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-23-2021), Sailor (01-24-2021)

22. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth,

Our big stick worked.

There's no elephants in Washington DC either, so obviously the NG scared them away as well, shit for brains!!