Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, canceled.2021.2, CFM, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Terri4Trump, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: God -- really?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

"Since I do not have a PhD in philosophy, I place a lot of weight and credibility on trained academic scholars"

You do realize that philosophy is about making arguments, not citing authorities.

I could cite 5 scholars differing with any one scholar you cite. That is not philosophy.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    "Since I do not have a PhD in philosophy, I place a lot of weight and credibility on trained academic scholars"

You do realize that philosophy is about making arguments, not citing authorities.

I could cite 5 scholars differing with any one scholar you cite. That is not philosophy.
    I stated that Plato's concept of the ideal forms, or Kant's theory of the noumenal world, or the Hindu concept of Brahma are three philosophical examples of a higher truth, or an ultimate reality, higher reality.

I backed my statement up by trained scholarly experts, PhDs in philosophy who agree with me, therefore demonstrating my statement was neither preposterous nor misinformed.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I stated that Plato's concept of the ideal forms, or Kant's theory of the noumenal, or the Hindu concept of Brahma are three philosophical examples of a higher truth, an ultimate reality.

I backed my statement up by trained scholarly experts who agree with me, therefore demonstrating my statement was neither preposterous or misinformed.

You have a very elementary understanding of the ideas you refer to. The etymology of "sophomore" is "wise fool." You confuse your elementary understanding with mastery.

If you were not arrogant I would leave it be. But you speak without knowledge.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You have a very elementary understanding of the ideas you refer to. The etymology of "sophomore" is "wise fool." You confuse your elementary understanding with mastery.

If you were not arrogant I would leave it be. But you speak without knowledge.
    That is not a rebuttal to what I said.

You asked for examples of higher reality.

I gave you several.

I also posted statements from PhD philosophers who agreed with my statement.

You just do not want to accept the PhD level philosophers agree with what I posted.

I get that you don't like the answer that I and a coterie of PhD philosophers gave you.

That is fine if you did not like my answer.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Biden President,

Your favorite philosophy teacher from Penn State also agrees with me.

I said Plato's theory of the forms was his articulation of an ultimate reality, a higher truth.
    >> https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...23#post4056623

Your favorite teacher says the same thing.

Plato conceived of an ultimate reality and truth, to which he gave the name “Form.”

-Dr. David Roochnik, professor of philosophy, Boston University , Introduction to Greek Philosophy course guidebook

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Biden President,

Your favorite philosophy teacher from Penn State also agrees with me.

I said Plato's theory of the forms was his articulation of an ultimate reality, a higher truth.
    >> https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...23#post4056623

Your favorite teacher says the same thing.

You have the knowledge of a first term college freshman. Took you a whole day to define one term.

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have no idea what you mean by ultimate reality.
    Plato's concept of the ideal forms, or Kant's theory of the noumenal, or the Hindu concept of Brahma are three examples out of many.
    These scholarly sources and PhD-level philosophers support everything I stated:

"Plato’s ontological and epistemological teaching is that with the right education, one possessing the proper constitution can advance from mere opinion of sensible particulars to true knowledge of the eternal, unchanging Forms—i.e., of ultimate reality."

- Dr. Michael Sugrue, professor of philosophy, Princeton University, Plato's Republic, course guidebook

Plato conceived of an ultimate reality and truth, to which he gave the name “Form.”

-Dr. David Roochnik, professor of philosophy, Boston University , Introduction to Greek Philosophy, course guidebook

"Hindu scriptures describe ultimate reality as Brahman. Brahman is non-dual pure consciousness, indivisible, incorporeal, infinite, and all-pervading like the sky."
    https://ramakrishna.org/theultimatereality.html

"Immanuel Kant did not doubt that the world as it appears to us is not the ultimate reality. He distinguished between phenomenal reality, or the world as we experience it, and noumenal reality, which is purely intelligible, or non-sensual, reality."
    https://faculty.mtsac.edu/cmcgruder/partiikant.html
    Nobody has to agree with me, with professors Segrue and Roochnik, and the other scholarly sources.

But the fact is, what I stated has currency and credibility in professional scholarship

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nobody has to agree with me, with professors Segrue and Roochnik, and the other scholarly sources.

But the fact is, what I stated has currency and credibility in professional scholarship

Like I said, you mistake citing people with making an argument. Not interested.

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Like I said, you mistake citing people with making an argument. Not interested.
    It's fine if you want to disagree with me, with Professor of Philosophy Roochnik, and Professor of Philosophy Sugrue.

I cannot have a PhD in every subject known to humanity, and that is why I support my statements with testimony from trained experts.

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's fine if you want to disagree with me, with Professor of Philosophy Roochnik, and Professor of Philosophy Sugrue.

I cannot have a PhD in every subject known to humanity, and that is why I support my statements with support from trained experts.

I studied Plato. You know as much as a first semester freshman, at most. It just is too elementary for me. Sorry.

11. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I studied Plato. You know as much as a first semester freshman, at most. It just is too elementary for me. Sorry.
    Rather than getting mad at me, I would think you would appreciate that someone on this forum is interested in philosophy. Almost nobody else is.

I do not run my mouth about what degrees I have, and have always been open and transparent about what I do know, and do not know. I do not apologize for having a wide ranging layperson's knowlege of philosophy, physics, history, religion, literature. There are plenty of well read people like me.

I actually understand that Plato's Idea of the Good is his conception of an ultimate reality, because it stands above the world of sensory perception, mathematics, and the forms. At least that is the understanding I got when professor Roochnik lectured on Plato's divided line.

12. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Rather than getting mad at me, I would think you would appreciate that someone on this forum is interested in philosophy. Almost nobody else is.

I do not run my mouth about what degrees I have, and have always been open and transparent about what I do know, and do not know. I do not apologize for having a wide ranging layperson's knowlege of philosophy, physics, history, religion, literature. There are plenty of well read people like me.

I actually understand that Plato's Idea of the Good is his conception of an ultimate reality, because it stands above the world of sensory perception, mathematics, and the forms. At least that is the understand I got when professor Roochnik lectured on Plato's divided line.

Not mad at you. You have a very elementary understanding of philosophy and are very arrogant about that limited knowledge.

13. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

I understood that Mahayana Buddhism has a pantheon of deities, often adopted from the indigenous cultures where Buddhism took root.
    true. although a bodhisattva is not a diety.

Three Different Paths: Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana
    https://www.namchak.org/community/bl...and-vajrayana/

dieties (of the realms)
    https://people.howstuffworks.com/10-...swered.htm#pt4
    Last edited by dukkha; 11-21-2020 at 01:41 PM.

14. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not mad at you. You have a very elementary understanding of philosophy and are very arrogant about that limited knowledge.
    I have never claimed to have a degree in philosophy. You will not find a single reasonable and fair minded poster here who agrees with you that I am arrogant.

You have a hard admitting I was right. I made a concise statement about world philosophical traditions which was 100 percent correct, as confirmed and supported by PhD- level philosophers. As shown below..

I have no idea what you mean by ultimate reality.
    Plato's concept of the ideal forms, or Kant's theory of the noumenal, or the Hindu concept of Brahma are three examples out of many.

-Dr. David Roochnik, professor of philosophy, Boston University , Introduction to Greek Philosophy, course guidebook

"Plato’s ontological and epistemological teaching is that with the right education, one possessing the proper constitution can advance from mere opinion of sensible particulars to true knowledge of the eternal, unchanging Forms—i.e., of ultimate reality."

- Dr. Michael Sugrue, professor of philosophy, Princeton University, Plato's Republic, course guidebook

"Hindu scriptures describe ultimate reality as Brahman. Brahman is non-dual pure consciousness, indivisible, incorporeal, infinite, and all-pervading like the sky."
    https://ramakrishna.org/theultimatereality.html

"Immanuel Kant did not doubt that the world as it appears to us is not the ultimate reality. He distinguished between phenomenal reality, or the world as we experience it, and noumenal reality, which is purely intelligible, or non-sensual, reality."
    https://faculty.mtsac.edu/cmcgruder/partiikant.html

The fact is, what I stated has currency and credibility in professional scholarship. It seems like it kills you to admit my reponse to you was one thousand percent credible.
    Last edited by Cypress; 11-21-2020 at 03:19 PM.

15. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    true. although a bodhisattva is not a diety.

Three Different Paths: Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana
    https://www.namchak.org/community/bl...and-vajrayana/

dieties (of the realms)
    https://people.howstuffworks.com/10-...swered.htm#pt4
    Right, I know the bodhisattva is not a diety, just that Mahayana Buddhism has a pantheon of deities. In that respect, Mahayana Buddhism seems like a polytheistic religion.