Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Easter

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Happy Easter

everybody. I have Monday off but not today, which is weird, but I was surprised to have either day off.

Enjoy. I plan on eating lots of chocolate on Sunday, and spending about two hours on Monday in the gym.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Same to you! I have to work right through. The good news is that the testing phase of the project will wind up next Friday and I'll have my first weekend off in six months. I plan to sleep in, for starters!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,729 Times in 27,216 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,585 Times in 18,174 Posts
    Blog Entries

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,608 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Happy Good Friday!
    Did you know that it is most likely that Jesus was actually killed on Thursday, the day after passover there is a day of rest much like the Sabbath, and passover can fall on many different days of the week. It is in fact called a Sabbath (day of rest) and because of that it was mistakenly believed it must be on Friday. However, count the days. There isn't three....

I also find it weird that Lent is celebrated until "Good" Friday, when Christ entered Jerusalem the previous Sunday (Palm Sunday) after his 40 day fast in the wilderness. If Lent signifies that fast why end it on Good Friday instead of the Saturday before Palm Sunday?

Another interesting tidbit. Christ was killed after Passover meal, therefore Resurrection Day should fall after Passover. Why are you celebrating it now instead of the Sunday following Passover (April 20th is Passover this year)?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    man Im glad I dont have to think about such things.
    I have fun asking the religious folks questions about holidays. Often they are very arbitrary.

BTW - 3D I edited the post with a few more questions...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I have fun asking the religious folks questions about holidays. Often they are very arbitrary.

BTW - 3D I edited the post with a few more questions...
    For the Eastern Orthodox, Easter is already over. Its only in the West, where Catholics don't count Sundays as part of Lent (it is a feast day here), that extra days get added on...

I'm not sure about your other question about Passover though...

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    For the Eastern Orthodox, Easter is already over. Its only in the West, where Catholics don't count Sundays as part of Lent (it is a feast day here), that extra days get added on...

I'm not sure about your other question about Passover though...
    Actually the Eastern Orthodox people are the ones that pointed out the Passover thing to me. Their Easter falls on April 27th, the first Sunday following Passover which starts on the 20th and ends that Saturday.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

ahh just another day to me. Don't even get off work. Drat!
    But I have fun with the Grand Children and we eats lots of candy and get a big sugar buzz going.

Heck might even get the shotgun out and go shoot an easter bunny, That rites of spring pagan fertility symbol that Christians sucked into their holiday.

Going to be around freezing here on Easter morning. cold eggs.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah, we didn't get off work either.

I also saw the Catholics cheating on their Fast for Good Friday...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I got a ham and I got a prime rib. My store gets these precooked prime ribs at holiday time and all you do is heat it for an hour , throw down on soime garlic mashed potatoes and a yummy salad and its as good as any resturaunt I have ever had it at.

The holidays do have perks even if you are a heathen lik me.