Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: America Is Not A Christian Country

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've always been a bit baffled that people who hate all that Jesus stood for as much as the Americans do should be so determined to describe their country as 'Christian'. Weird!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-04-2021)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iolo/Penderyn View Post
    I've always been a bit baffled that people who hate all that Jesus stood for as much as the Americans do should be so determined to describe their country as 'Christian'. Weird!
    It's the Jesus Freaks, Iola. THEY want everyone to LOVE Jesus.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,424 Times in 53,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    According to Phantasmal, Muslim children are allowed to bring their Prayer Rugs to school. Claims it's in the Constitution. So, there's that.
    I guess the shrimp fleet is out to sea today, eh? This is your what -- fourth attempt to fan a flame war by talking personalities rather than issues? You should go back and lick your toxic bf some more. Maybe this time you'll get high.

"Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,424 Times in 53,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iolo/Penderyn View Post
    What an accurate observation!
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (05-05-2021)

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I guess the shrimp fleet is out to sea today, eh? This is your what -- fourth attempt to fan a flame war by talking personalities rather than issues? You should go back and lick your toxic bf some more. Maybe this time you'll get high.
    Just quoting Phantasmal. Maybe my Sun God Beach Towel will be accepted too?

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You have never actually read the New Testament which was written in Archaic Greek, and has been attempted to be translated into English on the basis of Medieval msnuscipt copies which existed a thousand years after the original Gospels.

In the earliest Synoptic Gospels, New Testament scholars conclude that Jesus never called himself God
    first, I have a Masters in Theology which did in fact require me to study Greek, second, tools are available on the internet which enable even those who have not done so to study the Bible in its original language, third the current translations available are much closer to the original text than what we had even a hundred years ago......fourth and finally, the only "New Testament scholars" who claim Jesus did not call himself "God" are atheists denying the words of scripture....."Before Abraham was, I am!"......as for the book of John, it may have been written a few years later than Matthew, Mark or Luke, but on the other hand it was the only one of the four gospels written by one of his disciples.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    first, I have a Masters in Theology which did in fact require me to study Greek, second, tools are available on the internet which enable even those who not done so to study the Bible in its original language, third the current translations available are much closer to the original text than what we had even a hundred years ago......fourth and finally, the only "New Testament scholars" who claim Jesus did not call himself "God" are atheists denying the words of scripture....."Before Abraham was, I am!"......as for the book of John, it may have been written a few years later than Matthew, Mark or Luke, but on the other hand it was the only one of the four gospels written by one of his disciples.......

Hard to believe you have a high school diploma.

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

Just saw that Simpson's episode the other day. Brilliant as usual.

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Hard to believe you have a high school diploma.
    and yet I have two post graduate degrees........I cannot explain your inability to believe the truth, though I have observed it here on a daily basis.......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

and yet I have two post graduate degrees........I cannot explain your inability to believe the truth, though I have observed it here on a daily basis.......
    You are one of the most inarticulate persons on the forum.

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,711 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

first, I have a Masters in Theology which did in fact require me to study Greek, second, tools are available on the internet which enable even those who have not done so to study the Bible in its original language, third the current translations available are much closer to the original text than what we had even a hundred years ago......fourth and finally, the only "New Testament scholars" who claim Jesus did not call himself "God" are atheists denying the words of scripture....."Before Abraham was, I am!"......as for the book of John, it may have been written a few years later than Matthew, Mark or Luke, but on the other hand it was the only one of the four gospels written by one of his disciples.......
    Nobody knows who wrote the Gospel of John. All the Gospels had anonymous authors and were only later attributed as a convenience to disciples and companions of disciples.

Scholarly consensus was that John was written 90 to 95 AD. It is implausible that a living disciple of Jesus could have written it.

Jesus cannot be taken out of his historical and cultural context. Jesus was a Jew who practiced the Jewish law. Words like "Messiah" and "Son of God" have an entirely different context in the Jewish tradition, than the interpretation which subsequent late first century and second century Christians placed on them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-04-2021)

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    You are one of the most inarticulate persons on the forum.
    I weigh your opinion heavily.....it ranks alongside that of the hippopotamus and the rhinoceros....

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nobody knows who wrote the Gospel of John.
    there are some god-deniers who are not aware of the author......no one pays them much attention......

Scholarly consensus was that John was written 90 to 95 AD. It is implausible that a living disciple of Jesus could have written it
    hardly implausible......Jesus' ministry dates around 30 AD and John refers to himself in the gospel as "the young man".......he could have put the gospel to writing in his late 70s......

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Jesus cannot be taken out of his historical and cultural context. Jesus was a Jew who practiced the Jewish law. Words like "Messiah" and "Son of God" have an entirely different context in the Jewish tradition, than the interpretation which subsequent late first century and second century Christians placed on them.
    sorry, the meanings given by Christians today are more compatible with Jewish tradition than the meanings attributed to them by atheists.......

18. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

What an amazing waste of college years. You post like Jesus and Christianity are not part of your life.

19. The Following User Groans At Nordberg For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (05-04-2021)