Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The greatest trick Donald Trump ever pulled

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,732 Times in 14,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,386 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Lol, you get more stupid with each post.
    Does he? I wouldn't know
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

kudzu (01-08-2019), Phantasmal (01-08-2019)

3. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Does he? I wouldn't know
    Good for you, yeah, I tried to debate, but it’s pointless.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Althea (01-08-2019)

5. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    By contrast, Trump took just 37% among voters with some sort of postgraduate degree -- like him.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/polit...own/index.html
    Did Trump get a postgraduate degree? I don't think so.

Added
    The facts appear to be that he graduated with a BSc in economics. Then he joined the Trump real estate company and became president of the company three years later. They must have spotted his genius.
    Last edited by Tranquillus in Exile; 01-08-2019 at 09:35 AM.

6. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,184 Times in 7,628 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

You continue to be suckered by a grifter, she has not had time to prove if she can do her job. We know Littlefingers cant do his, even when he had Congress. They didn’t pass the wall funding then, why not?
    Why not...indeed.

The Republicans of today are the most clueless bunch of politicians ever. They have absolutely no idea of how to govern.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-08-2019)

8. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Good for you, yeah, I tried to debate, but it’s pointless.
    I usually give them enough rope.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Why not...indeed.

The Republicans of today are the most clueless bunch of politicians ever. They have absolutely no idea of how to govern.
    LMAO. What makes you think they ever planned to govern?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-08-2019)

11. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    January 7, 2019

Donald Trump has done a lot of unprecedented things since he started running for president in June 2015. He's attacked prisoners of war.

He's bullied just about everyone in the world of politics. He's downplayed the white supremacist violence that led to a woman's death in Charlottesville, Virginia. He's said thousands, literally, of things that are not true.

But the most amazing trick Trump has pulled as a politician -- and now as president -- is to convince lower-middle class, predominantly white voters that he is one of them.

I was reminded of that trick on Sunday when Trump was asked whether he can relate to federal workers not being paid due to the ongoing government shutdown. Here's how the President responded:

"I can relate, and I'm sure that the people that are on the receiving end will make adjustments, they always do, and they'll make adjustments. People understand exactly what's going on. But many of those people that won't be receiving a paycheck, many of those people agree 100% with what I'm doing."
    "I can relate."

Let's explore that idea.

Donald Trump was born into a wealthy family. His father, Fred Trump, was a well-to-do developer in New York City. Sometime soon after Trump graduated from business school, his father loaned him $1 million to get him started in the business world.

At a town hall in 2015, Trump described the loan this way: "My whole life really has been a 'no,' and I fought through it. It has not been easy for me, it has not been easy for me. And you know I started off in Brooklyn, my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars."

Assuming that loan came in 1968 -- the year Trump graduated from Penn -- it would be the equivalent of an almost $7 million loan today. And as The New York Times revealed in a stunning piece last year, the actual amount of money that Trump reaped from his father was well in excess of $1 million. Try more than $400 million -- at least some of which came as the result of very questionable tax dodges and schemes.

Wealth aside, Trump is not exactly the average Joe. He was raised in New York City and, with the exception of his resort in Florida, has never lived outside the city. He went to private schools through high school. He dated models and actresses. He starred in a reality TV series for more than a decade.

And yet, Trump somehow, in the course of the 2016 campaign, effectively convinced a decent chunk of voters -- especially in the Midwest hollowed out by manufacturing losses -- that he and he alone understood the challenges they faced in life. Time after time, at rally after rally, attendees would tell the a that Trump got them -- that he effectively channeled their frustrations, their anger and their hopes.

They said these things even as Trump was regularly touting signs of his wealth, his elite education, his differences. Then they voted for him.

Trump won 71% among white men without a college education, according to exit polling. He took 61% among non-college educated white women. Trump won 51% of voters whose highest level of education was high school and a similar 51% of those who had attended some college but not graduated. By contrast, Trump took just 37% among voters with some sort of postgraduate degree -- like him.

Since being elected President, Trump has kept up the I'm-just like-you drumbeat. At a campaign rally in North Dakota last fall, he said this:

"I meet these people they call them 'the elite.' These people. I look at them, I say, 'That's elite?' We got more money, we got more brains, we got better houses, apartments, we got nicer boats, we're smarter than they are, and they say they're elite? We're the elite. You're the elite. We're the elite."

What's remarkable about all of that is that people cheered wildly after Trump said it. Trump may have more money and "better houses" and "nicer" boats than the people he is calling elites. But the average person in the crowd in North Dakota has neither multiple houses nor a boat. They know that Trump does have these things -- he talks about them incessantly -- and yet, somehow, they believe him to be one of them.

Why? My educated guess is because, for Trump's supporters, it's less about the President's actual background -- which is elite in every sense of the word -- and more about who he is now. He tells it like it is! He sticks it to these self-satisfied elites!

And I tend to believe that Trump's wealth and background actually make him more credible with these voters because he was one of those elites but is now running them down. He's turned on the elites, and they can't deal with it! Or something like that.

Donald Trump considers himself the world's greatest deal-maker -- a salesman extraordinaire. Perhaps the greatest sale he's ever made is the idea that he is a man of the people. It's the sale that made him the President.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/polit...own/index.html
    Maybe it's not what President Trump says, but how he says it.

Ya know?

He gets people whipped into such an emotional frenzy (stoking hatred) that he can almost say anything and they will cheer him wildly. It's uncanny. I noticed it before the 2016 election. He's got this Elvis-like charisma. I was very concerned about it despite what the polls indicated. I was right to be concerned. My intuition did not fail. I wish people would pay more attention to the message and less to the glamour of golden escalators. He's a total slick talking con-man, and he's really good at it.

Yeah, it was a good trick. And just like a sleight of hand man, Trump has used it to get power and riches.

And he has also used it to avoid justice.

I just hope it catches up with him in the end and he gets what he deserves.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Tranquillus in Exile (01-08-2019)

13. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Easy fix to the crisis, but....(Dems voted for physical structures before....hmmmm....what's changed?)
    Mexico was supposed to pay for it. That's what Trump promised.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

14. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,413 Times in 16,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Easy fix...Step up Dems

15. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Easy fix...Step up Dems
    Why should Democrats bail you out?

16. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why should Democrats bail you out?
    Why not? They don't love americans...why is that?

17. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Americans don’t like anyone holding them hostage, especially a bloated, insensitive over privileged person like Trump. It’s beginning to sink in to many of them that he doesn’t care about them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-08-2019)

19. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why not? They don't love americans...why is that?
    Democrats aren't going to bail out your poor judgment, bad instincts, weak mind, and rotten character.

No wall for you.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Mason Michaels (01-08-2019)

21. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Americans don’t like anyone holding them hostage, especially a bloated, insensitive over privileged person like Trump. It’s beginning to sink in to many of them that he doesn’t care about them.
    They're now saying they don't care that Mexico isn't paying for the wall.

They know it's bullshit, but they're not admitting it because it would be too bruising to their egos.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-08-2019)

23. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Democrats aren't going to bail out your poor judgment, bad instincts, weak mind, and rotten character.

No wall for you.
    We'll see