Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Corona Changed. CDC Responded. New Guidelines. Republicans Balk.

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    You may have just outed yourself lol.

If nothing else, the CCP pandemic illustrated that totalitarianism is never far away.
    More whataboutism only shows that I am right and you are afraid to address the point.

The point is not about what derogatory name to call the virus, or who to blame for it.

The point is what we do about it now that it is here.

We need an organized group approach where we are united in our logical plan to fight the war on COVID.

It's a darn good thing the military doesn't fight wars the way the right wants to fight COVID.

Deny there is an enemy.

"Hey. It's my gun and if I want to hold it backwards, that's my right!"

"So what if my gun is aimed at friendly forces. I can point it anywhere I want to."

"Orders are only suggestions. We don't have to comply."

"Hey. I've got your back if I feel like it at the time."

And so on.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,821 Times in 17,257 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Almost no one is dying.

"Houston, we have a problem".
    People are catching serious cases of Delta at alarming numbers. Ask those who squeaked through ICU and have what may be lifetime conditions from it. Houston YOU have a problem.https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...all-last-years
    Last edited by Nordberg; 08-02-2021 at 12:18 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-02-2021)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

a little bit of sunshine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-02-2021)

6. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello reagansghost,

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    a little bit of sunshine

Awesome!!!

Get those second doses, people.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,312 Times in 8,474 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    This pandemic has been weaponized for political purposes.
    I would agree, but I am betting we disagree.

Biden wants everyone to be saved, whatever political party they are a member of, so wants the widest vaccination possible. trump has come up with conspiracy theories to oppose vaccination.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-06-2021)

9. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Is it possible that delta and lamda are DIFFERENT plagues ???
    They are variants of the original virus. RNA viruses mutate extremely quickly, so almost every case is a variant. They get names if they are an interesting variant.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-06-2021)

11. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I would agree, but I am betting we disagree.

Biden wants everyone to be saved, whatever political party they are a member of, so wants the widest vaccination possible. trump has come up with conspiracy theories to oppose vaccination.
    Logically following where the science and knowledge lead us should never have been made political.

That only happened because one self-serving person decided to appeal to the most ignorant, suspicious, and susceptible-to-scary-propaganda minds among us.

The results have been, and will continue to be, tragic. Lives are being lost for nothing but totally devious misunderstandings.

It is heart-breakingly sad to watch.

I implore everyone to take a fresh unbiased look at the situation and ask yourself if 'owning the libs' is worth all these needless deaths.

12. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    They are variants of the original virus. RNA viruses mutate extremely quickly, so almost every case is a variant. They get names if they are an interesting variant.
    OK ... here's a chance for you to educate me.

I googled rna/dna and saw that the difference was one strand versus two. Now maybe that helps them replicate more readily ... but I do not see how they mutate to just two or three very distinct varieties which appear to be associated with specific geographical regions. If it is region specific ... why aren't there even more ???

13. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I create this thread. I make valid points. I yearn for fair counter arguments.

There are none.

14. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Logically following where the science and knowledge lead us should never have been made political.

That only happened because one self-serving person decided to appeal to the most ignorant, suspicious, and susceptible-to-scary-propaganda minds among us.

The results have been, and will continue to be, tragic. Lives are being lost for nothing but totally devious misunderstandings.

It is heart-breakingly sad to watch.

I implore everyone to take a fresh unbiased look at the situation and ask yourself if 'owning the libs' is worth all these needless deaths.
    It is amazing how many of these politicians are vaccinating themselves to save their own lives, but are trying to keep their followers from vaccinating, for more political power.
    Last edited by Walt; 08-06-2021 at 11:45 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-06-2021), PoliTalker (08-06-2021)

16. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    OK ... here's a chance for you to educate me.

I googled rna/dna and saw that the difference was one strand versus two. Now maybe that helps them replicate more readily ... but I do not see how they mutate to just two or three very distinct varieties which appear to be associated with specific geographical regions. If it is region specific ... why aren't there even more ???
    Having two strands makes DNA self correcting. The two strands match up with one another, and if there is a mistake in one, the other is often corrected. There are other self correcting mechanisms in DNA, not found in RNA. RNA viruses, without these self correcting mechanisms, mutate millions of times faster than DNA viruses.

RNA viruses mutate so quickly that over 99% of their offspring are not viable. They have mutated to the point that they cannot reproduce. Even those that can reproduce are mutated from the original.

There is a difference between a variant, and an interesting variant. To get a name, a variant has to not just be different, but different in an interesting way. What makes it interesting is many times it being worse for us.

What gives me some hope in all this is with Covid-19 variants, they often have the same mutations. If we see the same new tricks repeated over and over again in different variants, that would imply there are a limited/small number of worse mutations that we will have to deal with. If the "Omega Variant"(last letter in the Greek alphabet) is just the same tricks we have seen from the Alpha to Delta Variants, that will be very good indeed.

17. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK ... then why is delta less lethal than the original ???