Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "At Will" only works one way

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,993 Times in 8,258 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,672 Times in 2,478 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    So access to the courts for all isn't an essential right in American jurisprudence?
    We lost that right decades ago. The court fees can many times prohibit many from access. For instance, to contest an asset forfeiture will often cost a lot of money, even when the person's money who was taken was never accused of any crime.

In this case, the people whose right to work was taken away from them were not even allowed a voice in court. It was a trial between the new and old employers, not the employees.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    We lost that right decades ago. The court fees can many times prohibit many from access. For instance, to contest an asset forfeiture will often cost a lot of money, even when the person's money who was taken was never accused of any crime. In this case, the people whose right to work was taken away from them were not even allowed a voice in court. It was a trial between the new and old employers, not the employees.
    Is that so?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...nt/6635683001/

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fun fact: McGinnis ran unopposed to retain his seat in Outagamie County, Wisconsin, where the county executive is a DEMOCRAT. What are the odds?
    Fun fact, McGinnis ran unopposed to retain his seat in Outagamie County, Wisconsin, which is majority REPUBLICAN. What are the odds?

"Outagamie County has voted for the Republican presidential candidate in seventeen of the last twenty presidential elections."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outaga...onsin#Politics

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fun fact, McGinnis ran unopposed to retain his seat in Outagamie County, Wisconsin, which is majority REPUBLICAN.
    Oddly, your source does not say that Outagamie County, Wisconsin, is majority Republican.

Does it?

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

The post was not about at will firing, but actually about people who are at will fireable not being allowed to quit at will.

We are becoming a country where employers can fire you at will, but you are not allowed to quit at will.
    Id quit. Arrest me

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Id quit. Arrest me
    They did quit. Nobody starved over the weekend.

Here's what Salty Walty doesn't want you to know:

Seven health care workers will be able to start their new jobs at Ascension St. Elizabeth Hospital in Appleton after a judge dismissed a temporary restraining order Monday that was barring them from doing so at the request of their former employer, ThedaCare.

Outagamie County Circuit Court Judge Mark McGinnis ruled that ThedaCare's arguments were not enough to uphold the injunction.

McGinnis said he signed the initial restraining order Friday because of the gravity of the situation that ThedaCare laid out in their complaint. Wisconsin statute says the court should give "substantial weight" to any adverse impact on public safety when deciding what to require in the order.

Lawyers for ThedaCare had argued the region would be in danger of not having health care for severely injured patients or people who had suffered strokes if the seven employees moved to Ascension for their Monday start date.

But after Monday's hearing, McGinnis said ThedaCare could rely on alternate staffing solutions it already is pursuing to preserve care, including cross-training employees who do similar jobs at ThedaCare's Appleton hospital.

The broader case, in which ThedaCare argues that Ascension inappropriately group-recruited these employees, will go forward in court, but the employees are free to begin their new jobs on Tuesday.

A lawyer for ThedaCare said the seven employees would be compensated for Monday's missed work at the higher wage they would have had if they'd started as planned at Ascension.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2022/01/24/thedacare-ascension-court-over-health-care-worker-employment/6635683001/

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They did quit. Nobody starved over the weekend.

Here's what Salty Walty doesn't want you to know:

Seven health care workers will be able to start their new jobs at Ascension St. Elizabeth Hospital in Appleton after a judge dismissed a temporary restraining order Monday that was barring them from doing so at the request of their former employer, ThedaCare.

Outagamie County Circuit Court Judge Mark McGinnis ruled that ThedaCare's arguments were not enough to uphold the injunction.

McGinnis said he signed the initial restraining order Friday because of the gravity of the situation that ThedaCare laid out in their complaint. Wisconsin statute says the court should give "substantial weight" to any adverse impact on public safety when deciding what to require in the order.

Lawyers for ThedaCare had argued the region would be in danger of not having health care for severely injured patients or people who had suffered strokes if the seven employees moved to Ascension for their Monday start date.

But after Monday's hearing, McGinnis said ThedaCare could rely on alternate staffing solutions it already is pursuing to preserve care, including cross-training employees who do similar jobs at ThedaCare's Appleton hospital.

The broader case, in which ThedaCare argues that Ascension inappropriately group-recruited these employees, will go forward in court, but the employees are free to begin their new jobs on Tuesday.

A lawyer for ThedaCare said the seven employees would be compensated for Monday's missed work at the higher wage they would have had if they'd started as planned at Ascension.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2022/01/24/thedacare-ascension-court-over-health-care-worker-employment/6635683001/
    Nothing but whining

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 829 Times in 788 Posts

The post was not about at will firing, but actually about people who are at will fireable not being allowed to quit at will.

We are becoming a country where employers can fire you at will, but you are not allowed to quit at will.
    There's plenty of employer can't fire you at will out there too. It's all become too much regulation of the job market in general. When an employer has to hire a specialized company just to pay their employees and meet all the various taxes, fees, and regulations in doing that there's a problem...

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Id quit. Arrest me
    I am a stubborn bastard, and would quit also.... PROBABLY... I am becoming more concerned with supporting my family lately, and might stick on to keep my family supported.

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Testimony on Monday from the employees, who worked together for years at ThedaCare's Neenah hospital, described a tight-knit team of technicians and nurses who wanted a better work-life balance for themselves and their colleagues.

Kailey Young, a former interventional radiology technician at ThedaCare and the first of the group to apply to Ascension, said she had worked at ThedaCare for almost 11 years.

She had planned to stay there, but became disgruntled last March when two other employees on her team were let go for reasons that she did not think were right.

At that point, she said, she began to look for other work. Because her position requires her to live within 30 minutes of the hospital, Ascension St. Elizabeth was her only other option. She applied for an open position at Ascension at the end of last year.

The offer she eventually received from Ascension will give her "life-changing money" and fewer weekends that she needed to be on call, making it easier for her to be at home with family, she said.

She encouraged the other three technicians on her team to apply for other open roles. When they each had received offers, they approached ThedaCare on Dec. 21 and asked if the hospital would match the offers.

They were told they would not be matched and that ThedaCare leadership understood the seriousness of losing all four technicians but was willing to let them go, Young said.

Young said on Monday she would not return to work at ThedaCare even if the injunction was upheld.

Fellow technician Michael Preissner's testimony largely echoed Young's.

A few days before his last day at ThedaCare, Preissner said he'd been made an offer to stay that matched Ascension's in pay, but not in the amount of time he'd have to be on-call, so he declined.

Amber Kohler, a registered nurse who worked on the interventional radiology team and also applied and accepted a job at Ascension, said she did not know that the technicians on her team were leaving when she applied for the job. She submitted her resignation Dec. 29. Her last day was Jan. 14.

On that day, Kohler testified, she was told that someone would reach out to her and her husband Andrew, also a nurse on the same team, about staying on and receiving a retention bonus. That conversation never came, she said.

Each employee said Ascension had not asked them to coordinate their departure.

But Salty Walty claimed the workers had no voice in court, didn't he?

Why, yes.

Yes, he did:

In this case, the people whose right to work was taken away from them were not even allowed a voice in court.

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Salty Walty didn't think you needed to know that.

Guess why.
    I have no idea wtf he's on about.

Thedacare thought they could treat their employees like shit and owned them and FAFO.

Doesn't look like they learned anything either, must be "Liberals". (Not really liberals, Social Marxist Douche-Dumplings.)

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But Salty Walty claimed the workers had no voice in court, didn't he?
    They had no standing to say anything in court, so had no voice. They were required to testify, but that is not a voice, that is being used as evidence for someone else's voice. They were not allowed to defend their rights.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am a stubborn bastard, and would quit also.... PROBABLY... I am becoming more concerned with supporting my family lately, and might stick on to keep my family supported.
    My family is grown

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    There's plenty of employer can't fire you at will out there too. It's all become too much regulation of the job market in general.
    At will employment has become the norm. They can fire you in a second. I know you heard differently on FoxNews... But that is not a reputable news source.

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

???....granted I've been self-employed since 1979, but I've never heard of a job you couldn't walk out on any time you wanted......likewise, can't an employer terminate anyone they want?......admittedly they might have to pay unemployment compensation, but who here has a job the employer can't toss them out of any time they want?.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Matt Dillon (01-25-2022)