Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Science says kindness matters

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Kindness is a choice. It is not based on political bias or social class. The definition is subjective as well.

The illiterate OP seems to think it means working people supporting lazy fucks.

That ain't the definition.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

dukkha (01-20-2020), Earl (01-20-2020)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

"Science says kindness matters "

I agree.

That's why it is important to show kindness in our posts to one another.

I have seen some really unkind things said here. Imagine if the person reading that is wondering if anyone, just anyone, actually cares about them.

It is only logical to assume that a percentage of nasty things posted in a chat room online have resulted in the final straw for someone considering suicide.

Like somebody looking for just someone, anyone, to reach out to them. And if that last stranger they encounter doesn't take the initiative and do it, they they will jump off the Golden Gate bridge. Or whatever else they are considering doing to end their life. And some of those will be successful.

And maybe it could have been averted if some stranger had said something in a chat room to show that they cared.

Being mean to people on the internet could result in them offing themselves.

But if you're nice, no guilt. It wasn't you that pushed them over the edge. Maybe they live and begin to see the world a different way. It could happen.

What can it hurt to show a little kindness?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 10,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    Anyone remember the 'homeostasis' from HS or college biology?

I've equated FAIRNESS to homeostasis for a couple of decades now. All LIFE, all organisms, all nature returns to a period of homeostasis to SURVIVE. When living organisms get out of whack for too long, they DIE or die off. Homeostasis = equilibrium. Fairness is (should be) meted out in justice. Justice = balance = equilibrium.

The point is homeostasis is a phenomenon in NATURE, not some made up bullshit by LIBERALS, kings, or capitalists.

We better brake this CAREENING 'unfairness' or they're is very likely a revolution coming. And if angry white guys thing others won't fight back--THINK AGAIN!
    One thing I would note about "Justice=balance=equilibrium". "Justice" is such a subjective term these days. Always has been, I guess. One man's justice is another man's torture.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Great point

part of the reason for this thread is to show redeemable sociopaths that an intellectual scientific approach to their intellectual thinking can get them somewhere

STOP PRETENDING YOUR LACKING BRAIN FUNCTION IS NORMAL

You are "special" in a deficit way

if you want to win in your life face reality

the VAST MAJORITY OF HUMANS CARE ABOUT EACH OTHER

yes you don't care

face that it matters whether to everyone else

better get in like with reality or fail
    So what do you think you're doing by being mean on the internet? Are you going to force kindness down their throats whether they like it or not?

The irony of you posting this thread is astonishing.

It's a wonderful thread but you don't practice what you preach.

You could fix that...

I know you tried before and failed. Many did when we attempted to have 'nice week.' No rude posts? Remember that? You said you were in, said you would do it. It really was a good idea.

But you found out just as most did that it is far easier said than done. Habits are hard to change. Even if part of you wants to change.

So you just blew it off.

And now you come up with all these ways to rationalize being mean.

Like you think you're saving the nation.

Why don't you begin with saving yourself.....

That, apparently, is a big enough challenge.

It's easy to care about people you like.

The challenge is to care about the ones you don't like.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

cawacko (01-20-2020)

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

So this means you are changing your tune ?
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

"pretending human emotions are meaningless lies OTHER humans pretend are real means you will fail "

Good advice for someone posting messages to other humans on a chat site.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,614 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    “Kindness. The only possible method when dealing with a living creature. You'll get nowhere with an animal if you use terror, no matter what its level of development may be. That I have maintained, do maintain and always will maintain. People who think you can use terror are quite wrong. No, no, terror is useless, whatever its colour – white, red or even brown! Terror completely paralyses the nervous system.” – Mikhail Afanasievich Bulgakov
    Try petting a hungry tiger or grizzly bear.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    Kindness is a choice. It is not based on political bias or social class. The definition is subjective as well.

The illiterate OP seems to think it means working people supporting lazy fucks.

That ain't the definition.
    There is nothing subjective about the golden rule, and that is the beauty of the moral philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth.

One of my favorite moral tenets is articulated in the ethical philosophy of Zoroastrianism: "good thoughts, good words, good deeds." And that is exactly how one purifies their soul.

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am mean to evil

I always will be

it deserve no safe harbor

Kindness is wasted on people who don't honor kindness

In real life I am as kind as person as you could meet ( its the utter truth even if you wish to not believe it )

this place is NOT the real-world

this place ( the internets) is somewhere between reality and a stew of propaganda designed by people with bad intentions for mankind

YES this is a battlefield

on a battlefield you are only kind to those who surrender

You want me to be kind to you ?

Surrender to the facts

Oh and BTW I have NEVER told anyone to kill themselves on the internets and have gone after people on any side who say it

ask the poster formally known as watermark

that's a just in case someone is actually a human

the cold hard truth is the VAST majority of the right we speak to here are NOT HUMANS.

they are programs which are virtually costless weapons against the phycological wellbeing of people merely trying to discuss politics reasonably without destroying personal relationships

the Fox viewers are a couple of decades deep in a cult of misinformation and hate of their fellow man

in person its very hard to talk reality with them and shake them out of it

they wont listen

their brains are down an empty well and it takes weeks of cranking on the rope to get them out of that empty well

here is can get done more quickly

so the Russians and the like figured out they can beat the rope crankers over the head and stop the rescues

being nice to a program designed to find value in nice is a failing battle

let me clarify

The people Im MEAN TO are NOT PEOPLE

when will you figure that out?

NO ONE will ever be able to STOP this process

evil infiltrating areas where people are trying to work things out for the betterment of mankind

they very basics that every generation has lived through

what we have now reduced this dynamic down to is essentually just our "voices" ( well typed word but you get me)

One of the reasons I love this format

in real life when people see me they refuse to listen to me seriously

I have mentioned this before

Its the reality many women face

Men see nothing but sex and lots of women pre judge what my aims are

I am a tom boy caught in the body of what people perceive as a sex pot

I didn't order up this body

It was a vehicle assigned me

Its a healthy, strong and proficient vehicle but is very frequently misjudged and maligned vehicle

I in fact in the real world am very warm and welcoming to all ( its my actual nature) and I employ self deprecating humor to disarm people

the person you see here on this site is merely a fraction of who I actually am

I am here to fight a battle

I have my gear ready

and that s what you see here dude

this is NOT the real world

This is the new battlefield of world thought

It includes the enemy dressed as shepard ready to blow your vehicle up as you pass

Lets remember what 8 intel agencies and a Senate investigation told us

THE enemy is here and ready to destroy intelligent discussion

they seek to "trigger" metal distress and MELT snowflakes

what is a snowflake?

a beautiful aspect of what this wonderful world can produce

Unique unto its self and as beautiful as anything the world has to offer

HUMANS

individuals

the people who use that phrase are not human

bots designed to frustrate REAL HUMANS and make them give up on humanity and the discussion of how to make this world as wonderful as it can be

we have to become proficient in telling who is who and "who" is a what and not a who

I am NOT KIND to the tools of evil

There is NO NEED to be kind to the tires on the jeeps your enemies are driving arroundto heave grenades at you.

They are NOT HUMAN

learn this very basic new fact and internalize it

they are NOT HUMAN

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is nothing subjective about the golden rule, and that is the beauty of the moral philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth.

One of my favorite moral tenets is articulated in the ethical philosophy of Zoroastrianism: "good thoughts, good words, good deeds." And that is exactly how one purifies their soul.
    yes loving humans

loving shovels and tires is pretty meaningless

the russo bot holes here are impervious to love and kindness

no matter how much love and kindness you shower on a broom it wont help it become a better person

13. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (01-20-2020)

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

yes loving humans

loving shovels and tires is pretty meaningless

the russo bot holes here are impervious to love and kindness

no matter how much love and kindness you shower on a broom it wont help it become a better person
    Everyone is responsible for the purity of their own soul, by thought, word, and deed.

On the flip side, infinite kindness is not humanely possible or even expected. I support freedom of association as well as the social shunning of racists, bigots, and sociopaths.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (01-21-2020)

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

"the cold hard truth is the VAST majority of the right we speak to here are NOT HUMANS.

they are programs which are virtually costless weapons against the phycological wellbeing of people merely trying to discuss politics reasonably without destroying personal relationships"
    Oh, the absurdity of wasting one's time having nasty arguments with machines. Wouldn't the logical thing to do be get your own machines and program them to call the other machines dirty things?

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Yup. kindness would have worked with Hitler and the Nazis ...or ISIS..IDIOTS

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

In all my meassage boarding adventures, one of the most eye opening was when many conservatives supported water boarding, and positioned as apologists for Abu Ghraib, dismissing it as harmless fraternity pranks.

I really did not know that movement conservatism had an illicit infatuation with sado-sexual torture and sado-masochism. And I wish actually I had never learned that disturbing fact about movement conservatism
    Nothing wrong with water boarding. It wasn't a fraternity prank. It was an excellent way to get to get information from savages.

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    Yup. kindness would have worked with Hitler and the Nazis ...or ISIS..IDIOTS
    Bleeding heart lefties think baking cookies, sitting around a campfire, and singing Kumbayah will cause groups like Isis or al Quada to like us.