Thread: In Jan. 6 case, a federal judge slams GOP over its election lies.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,168 Times in 5,906 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Default In Jan. 6 case, a federal judge slams GOP over its election lies.

In Jan. 6 case, a federal judge slams GOP over its election lies
    On the surface, it was a routine sentencing hearing for one of the more notorious Jan. 6 rioters. Kyle Young, whose lawyer said he was “injected” with political lies, took his teenage son to the U.S. Capitol, violently assaulted police officers, and got caught. Federal prosecutors sought a significant prison sentence.
    U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson agreed, sentencing Young to more than seven years in prison.
    But just below the surface, there was a little more to it. In fact, the judge in this case — who has a no-nonsense reputation for not suffering fools gladly — took the opportunity yesterday to contextualize the proceedings.
    “You were not prosecuted for being a Trump supporter,” Jackson explained to Young. “You were not arrested or charged, and you will not be sentenced, for exercising your First Amendment rights. You are not a political prisoner.... You were trying to stop the singular thing that makes America America, the peaceful transfer of power. That’s what ‘Stop the Steal’ meant.
    As Politico noted, however, the federal judge also rebuked the Republican leaders who bore responsibility for the violence perpetrated by the defendant and people like him.
    The jurist went on to marvel at the extent to which GOP leaders are so beholden to “one man” that it has become “heresy” for Republicans to contradict Trump’s election lies.
    To be sure, there is a school of thought that suggests judges should steer clear of such commentary, which makes it all the more notable when they speak up.

As we’ve discussed, others have ventured down this path. In November 2021, for example, Judge Amit Mehta sentenced a Jan. 6 rioter named John Lolos, while reflecting on the fact that the criminal was responding to Trump’s call.
    Mehta added, “People like Mr. Lolos were told lies, told falsehoods, told our election was stolen when it clearly was not. We’re here today deciding whether Mr. Lolos should spend 30 days in jail when those who created the conditions that led to Mr. Lolos’ conduct, led to the events of Jan. 6 [haven’t been] held to account for their actions and their word.”
    Speaking directly to the defendant, the judge continued, “In a sense, Mr. Lolos, I think you were a pawn. You were a pawn in a game directed and played by people who should know better. I think that mitigates your conduct.”
    A Politico report added at the time that Mehta wondered aloud about why other judges haven’t focused more on the former president and the degree to which he poisoned the minds of the rioters.
    “Once you hear people who should know better tell you that an election was stolen and they say it loudly enough, frequently enough,” the judge said, “it’s not surprising that people will believe it.”
    Five months later, after a jury convicted another Jan. 6 rioter, U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton shared a few thoughts after the verdict was read. “I think our democracy is in trouble, because unfortunately we have charlatans like our former president, who doesn’t, in my view, really care about democracy but only about power,” the conservative federal jurist said in court.
    As Politico’s report added, Jackson yesterday kept the pattern going, making the case that it’s up to the judiciary to help draw the line against democratic dangers.
    “[The judiciary] has to make it clear: It is not patriotism, it is not standing up for America to stand up for one man — who knows full well that he lost — instead of the Constitution he was trying to subvert,” Jackson said.

I rest my case.
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

domer76 (09-28-2022), Frank Apisa (09-28-2022), Phantasmal (09-28-2022), Tranquillus in Exile (09-28-2022), Trumpet (09-28-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,985 Times in 3,359 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 635 Times in 603 Posts

This raises an interesting question. Could one of those convicted for Jan 6th sue Trump and others that pushed "Stop the Steal" file a civil suit under the RICO act? They clearly would have been damaged since they committed crimes as a result of the racketeering that convinced them of the fraud. The loss of livelihood and time in jail would probably give them standing for the damages required to sue. The number of people arrested and charged with crimes would show the 2 crimes needed under the statute. The only requirement then is to tie Trump to the racketeering action which caused the crimes to be committed.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (09-28-2022), Phantasmal (09-28-2022), Trumpet (09-28-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    This raises an interesting question. Could one of those convicted for Jan 6th sue Trump and others that pushed "Stop the Steal" file a civil suit under the RICO act? They clearly would have been damaged since they committed crimes as a result of the racketeering that convinced them of the fraud. The loss of livelihood and time in jail would probably give them standing for the damages required to sue. The number of people arrested and charged with crimes would show the 2 crimes needed under the statute. The only requirement then is to tie Trump to the racketeering action which caused the crimes to be committed.
    I wonder why this hasn’t been thought of by those claiming they believed Trump as their defense? Interesting

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Trumpet (09-28-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,985 Times in 3,359 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 635 Times in 603 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I wonder why this hasn’t been thought of by those claiming they believed Trump as their defense? Interesting
    The hurdle it has to get over is the first amendment argument. Would a court think that was a decision a jury should decide?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-28-2022), Trumpet (09-28-2022)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,570 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

The hurdle it has to get over is the first amendment argument. Would a court think that was a decision a jury should decide?
    Agreed on First Amendment. Not a lawyer, but I think it's the preponderance of evidence that would sway a Judge and Jury on whether saying "Hang Mike Pence" is freedom of speech or a violent plot to hang the VP of the United States.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed on First Amendment. Not a lawyer, but I think it's the preponderance of evidence that would sway a Judge and Jury on whether saying "Hang Mike Pence" is freedom of speech or a violent plot to hang the VP of the United States.
    Methinks is definitely the latter.
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-28-2022)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    Methinks is definitely the latter.
    Agreed. The weight of evidence seems to indicate there was a concerted effort to overthrow the election and murder all those in opposition to the effort.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (09-28-2022)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Agreed. The weight of evidence seems to indicate there was a concerted effort to overthrow the election and murder all those in opposition to the effort.
    I especially love this line by the judge:
    “You were not prosecuted for being a Trump supporter,” Jackson explained to Young. “You were not arrested or charged, and you will not be sentenced, for exercising your First Amendment rights. You are not a political prisoner.... You were trying to stop the singular thing that makes America America, the peaceful transfer of power. That’s what ‘Stop the Steal’ meant.”

I'm sick of people referring to these traitors as 'patriots' or 'political prisoners'. They tried to stop an official governmental procedure by Congress that would transfer power.

They are a bunch of facists and traitors. That's all.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-28-2022)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I especially love this line by the judge:
    “You were not prosecuted for being a Trump supporter,” Jackson explained to Young. “You were not arrested or charged, and you will not be sentenced, for exercising your First Amendment rights. You are not a political prisoner.... You were trying to stop the singular thing that makes America America, the peaceful transfer of power. That’s what ‘Stop the Steal’ meant.”

I'm sick of people referring to these traitors as 'patriots' or 'political prisoners'. They tried to stop an official governmental procedure by Congress that would transfer power.

They are a bunch of facists and traitors. That's all.
    The good news is that 99% loudmouthed antisemitic, racist WSE supporters on JPP are elderly chickenshits who are afraid to go to the store much less participate in the violent murder of Americans.

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The good news is that 99% loudmouthed antisemitic, racist WSE supporters on JPP are elderly chickenshits who are afraid to go to the store much less participate in the violent murder of Americans.
    Yeah, deep down inside, they're all just a bunch of big, fat PUSSIES.

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah, deep down inside, they're all just a bunch of big, fat PUSSIES.

http://blog.achingbackphoto.com/wp-c...p-Funnygif.gif
    Agreed about those on JPP.

Still, the militias are out fomenting violent revolution and murder.

I fully expect either a major terrorist attack or a major bust of a WSE plotting a major terrorist attack.

There's a JPP member or two who could end up becoming a patsy and disappearing off JPP at the same time. LOL

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,614 Times in 21,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,628 Times in 5,136 Posts
    Blog Entries

Depends on the circumstances in which it is said…. During a violent attack on the building the VP is in, very likely a violent attempt.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Depends on the circumstances in which it is said…. During a violent attack on the building the VP is in, very likely a violent attempt.
    A key difference those who keep posting about Portland always overlook.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Jarod (09-28-2022)

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

In Jan. 6 case, a federal judge slams GOP over its election lies
    On the surface, it was a routine sentencing hearing for one of the more notorious Jan. 6 rioters. Kyle Young, whose lawyer said he was “injected” with political lies, took his teenage son to the U.S. Capitol, violently assaulted police officers, and got caught. Federal prosecutors sought a significant prison sentence.
    U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson agreed, sentencing Young to more than seven years in prison.
    But just below the surface, there was a little more to it. In fact, the judge in this case — who has a no-nonsense reputation for not suffering fools gladly — took the opportunity yesterday to contextualize the proceedings.
    “You were not prosecuted for being a Trump supporter,” Jackson explained to Young. “You were not arrested or charged, and you will not be sentenced, for exercising your First Amendment rights. You are not a political prisoner.... You were trying to stop the singular thing that makes America America, the peaceful transfer of power. That’s what ‘Stop the Steal’ meant.
    As Politico noted, however, the federal judge also rebuked the Republican leaders who bore responsibility for the violence perpetrated by the defendant and people like him.
    The jurist went on to marvel at the extent to which GOP leaders are so beholden to “one man” that it has become “heresy” for Republicans to contradict Trump’s election lies.
    To be sure, there is a school of thought that suggests judges should steer clear of such commentary, which makes it all the more notable when they speak up.

As we’ve discussed, others have ventured down this path. In November 2021, for example, Judge Amit Mehta sentenced a Jan. 6 rioter named John Lolos, while reflecting on the fact that the criminal was responding to Trump’s call.
    Mehta added, “People like Mr. Lolos were told lies, told falsehoods, told our election was stolen when it clearly was not. We’re here today deciding whether Mr. Lolos should spend 30 days in jail when those who created the conditions that led to Mr. Lolos’ conduct, led to the events of Jan. 6 [haven’t been] held to account for their actions and their word.”
    Speaking directly to the defendant, the judge continued, “In a sense, Mr. Lolos, I think you were a pawn. You were a pawn in a game directed and played by people who should know better. I think that mitigates your conduct.”
    A Politico report added at the time that Mehta wondered aloud about why other judges haven’t focused more on the former president and the degree to which he poisoned the minds of the rioters.
    “Once you hear people who should know better tell you that an election was stolen and they say it loudly enough, frequently enough,” the judge said, “it’s not surprising that people will believe it.”
    Five months later, after a jury convicted another Jan. 6 rioter, U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton shared a few thoughts after the verdict was read. “I think our democracy is in trouble, because unfortunately we have charlatans like our former president, who doesn’t, in my view, really care about democracy but only about power,” the conservative federal jurist said in court.
    As Politico’s report added, Jackson yesterday kept the pattern going, making the case that it’s up to the judiciary to help draw the line against democratic dangers.
    “[The judiciary] has to make it clear: It is not patriotism, it is not standing up for America to stand up for one man — who knows full well that he lost — instead of the Constitution he was trying to subvert,” Jackson said.

I rest my case.
    So you quote a biased judge who sentenced another to political prison.

You know this stuff is going to catch up with the Democrats, right?
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, you can't wish the evidence of election fraud by Democrats away, dude.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams