Thread: Waiting for Betelgeuse: what's up with the tempestuous star?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 27 Times in 27 Posts

Default Waiting for Betelgeuse: what's up with the tempestuous star?

https://phys.org/news/2019-12-betelg...uous-star.html

"Have you noticed that Orion the Hunter—one of the most iconic and familiar of the wintertime constellations—is looking a little… different as of late? The culprit is its upper shoulder star Alpha Orionis, aka Betelgeuse, which is looking markedly faint, the faintest it has been for the 21st century.

When will this nearby supernova candidate pop, and what would look like if it did?
    The story starts, as all good astronomy and space stories seem to, on Friday night going into a holiday weekend. We started seeing discussion on Betelgeuse trending on social media on the evening of Friday, December 20th, and dug down to the source of the excitement: a December 8th paper, "The Fainting of the Nearby Red Supergiant Betelgeuse," by researchers at Villanova University. Light curve estimates courtesy of the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) verified the assertion that the star had, indeed, faded about one magnitude, or a little over one-half from its usual magnitude +0.5 to +1.5. Noticing the sky was clear, we headed up to our parking garage rooftop observing site in downtown Norfolk, Virginia, to take a look. Betelgeuse was, indeed, noticeably fainter, about a shade dimmer than nearby +1 magnitude Aldebaran."

It is worth a look: sports fans!

burp...

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Betelgeuse is like an old friend to me, so hopefully it is not on track to supernova. On the other hand, I consider neutron stars to be among the weirdest things in the universe and I see the potential research opportunities as virtually endless!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Betelgeuse is like an old friend to me, so hopefully it is not on track to supernova. On the other hand, I consider neutron stars to be among the weirdest things in the universe and I see the potential research opportunities as virtually endless!
    Yeah, I kinda like that old guy also...mostly because Orion is my favorite constellation.

Fact is, though, it may already have gone supernova...and we do not know about it yet. If i went super nova today...we would not know about it until 2600 or so.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Cypress (12-27-2019), OldMercsRule (12-28-2019)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Yeah, I kinda like that old guy also...mostly because Orion is my favorite constellation.

Fact is, though, it may already have gone supernova...and we do not know about it yet. If i went super nova today...we would not know about it until 2600 or so.
    Unless it supernoved in the past and we are just now on the cusp of seeing the light and radiation from the event.

The cosmic event I rank as the most epic is the eventual collision of the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Frank Apisa (12-27-2019)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I like ta gaze at Betelgeuse toooooooo! I'd like it even better if she blew durin' my lifetime, (not likely)… sniff... sniff...

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Unless it supernoved in the past and we are just now on the cusp of seeing the light and radiation from the event.

The cosmic event I rank as the most epic is the eventual collision of the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies.
    3 to 4 billion years for now when our own star, (ol' Sol), would prolly swell up on a diet of helium n' might even chomp ol' earth up. burp... At least there is a shot to see ol' Orion A cornsum itsef if she blew 600 years back give or take. Where's them thar neutrinos eh: sports fans?

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

https://www.popularmechanics.com/spa...elgeuse-dying/

"As Betelgeuse Dims, Scientists Wonder If We're Watching a Star Die
    The star is fading, and scientists are trying to figure out what that means."

I hope she blows!!!!

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans