Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Democrats are afraid to vocalize their Kamala Harris concerns

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Why Democrats are afraid to vocalize their Kamala Harris concerns

From our local paper, thought it kind of fascinating on a couple of fronts. Growing up in Oakland I met a lot of people who went to Cal Berkeley back during the free speech movement and they were found of saying their beliefs were to always question authority and speak truth to power. Politically, those phrases were often associated more with those on the left. Fast forward to today where if you speak out against power you will have groups of people hunting you down. (Any Beyonce followers here? I think her fans are known as the BeyHive and they will attack people who they feel disrespect or say anything they don't approve of Beyonce. Sounds like Kamala's KHive backers are the same.)

I do understand the argument that women, and women of color especially, have not been treated well in the past (just saw it two days ago with Lemon's comment about Haley). So it's not out of bounds pointing out double standards that women face. But I don't understand the idea that because Harris is a woman of color that she's essentially off limits to criticism unless it's coming from someone that is black.

Why Democrats are afraid to vocalize their Kamala Harris concerns

In a column that published on Thursday, Jonathan Martin — the politics bureau chief and senior political columnist at Politico — spoke with several prominent Democrats who say they have concerns about Vice President Kamala Harris but are afraid to articulate them over fears of getting accused of "racial and gender insensitivity."

The column is centered around how Democrats are publicly backing President Joe Biden's looming reelection announcement (reportedly coming in April) but privately have worries about his age, as he would be 82 years old at the start of a second term. Martin, who spoke with Democratic governors, senators and representatives for the column, states that the only topic of conversation these lawmakers find more uncomfortable than Biden's age is Kamala Harris. Not only do they have fears about her political abilities as Biden's presumptive heir apparent, but they also fear backlash for saying as much out loud.

"Democrats have seen what happens when anyone in their party openly criticizes Harris — they’re accused by activists and social-media critics of showing, at best, racial and gender insensitivity," Martin writes. "This doesn’t stifle concerns about her prospects, of course, it just pushes them further underground or into the shadows of background quotes."

He backs up his argument here with an anonymous quote from a House Democrat who said, “The Democrats who will need to speak out on her are from the Congressional Black Caucus, no white member is going to do it.”

Harris' legion of online supporters is reason enough to avoid criticizing her publicly. Known as "the KHive," the group has become notorious for going after critics of the vice president. A Huffpost article from 2020 describes an incident in which a woman was subjected to a campaign of harassment from self-identified members of the KHive on Twitter after she came to the defense of her son, who was also attacked for announcing he would no longer be supporting Harris for president that cycle.

Even high-profile Democrats who enjoy wide-ranging support of their own have had to be careful with their public comments about Harris. Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren set off a minor controversy last month when she seemed noncommittal in supporting Harris as Biden's running mate in 2024. After some interpreted Warren's comments as a pitch for herself to replace Harris, the senator walked her comments back and gave the vice president her full support.

Read Martin's full column in Politico.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...s-17791069.php

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

ExpressLane (02-18-2023), Life is Golden (02-19-2023), serendipity (02-19-2023)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

From a partisan political perspective I love this. We all know the 2020 election was about getting Trump out of office and Harris' role was to help energize a portion of the Democratic base. In 2024 it's a different ballgame. Biden will be 82 and the VP won't be an afterthought as there's a decent chance they could be taking over at some point. There was a reason Harris dropped out so early in the 2020 primaries. There's a reason that the NY Times and other liberal thought leaders are publishing these articles about Democratic leaders questioning whether she's the right person to be VP again in '24.

By saying these discussions can't be had only suppresses what people are thinking, it doesn't change it. From a purely horse race perspective, I hope she stays on the ticket.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

ExpressLane (02-18-2023)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 49 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    From a partisan political perspective I love this. We all know the 2020 election was about getting Trump out of office and Harris' role was to help energize a portion of the Democratic base. In 2024 it's a different ballgame. Biden will be 82 and the VP won't be an afterthought as there's a decent chance they could be taking over at some point. There was a reason Harris dropped out so early in the 2020 primaries. There's a reason that the NY Times and other liberal thought leaders are publishing these articles about Democratic leaders questioning whether she's the right person to be VP again in '24.

By saying these discussions can't be had only suppresses what people are thinking, it doesn't change it. From a purely horse race perspective, I hope she stays on the ticket.
    Good luck in expecting a liberal here to come to the defense of, or to the praising of this useless, feckless, cackling, word salad, and worst Veep in American history.

6. The Following User Groans At Libhater For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (02-18-2023)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libhater For This Post:

ExpressLane (02-18-2023), Life is Golden (02-19-2023)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,167 Times in 7,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

I usually go with whomever the Super Delegates go with!

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 96 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries

From our local paper, thought it kind of fascinating on a couple of fronts. Growing up in Oakland I met a lot of people who went to Cal Berkeley back during the free speech movement and they were found of saying their beliefs were to always question authority and speak truth to power. Politically, those phrases were often associated more with those on the left. Fast forward to today where if you speak out against power you will have groups of people hunting you down. (Any Beyonce followers here? I think her fans are known as the BeyHive and they will attack people who they feel disrespect or say anything they don't approve of Beyonce. Sounds like Kamala's KHive backers are the same.)

I do understand the argument that women, and women of color especially, have not been treated well in the past (just saw it two days ago with Lemon's comment about Haley). So it's not out of bounds pointing out double standards that women face. But I don't understand the idea that because Harris is a woman of color that she's essentially off limits to criticism unless it's coming from someone that is black.

In a column that published on Thursday, Jonathan Martin — the politics bureau chief and senior political columnist at Politico — spoke with several prominent Democrats who say they have concerns about Vice President Kamala Harris but are afraid to articulate them over fears of getting accused of "racial and gender insensitivity."

The column is centered around how Democrats are publicly backing President Joe Biden's looming reelection announcement (reportedly coming in April) but privately have worries about his age, as he would be 82 years old at the start of a second term. Martin, who spoke with Democratic governors, senators and representatives for the column, states that the only topic of conversation these lawmakers find more uncomfortable than Biden's age is Kamala Harris. Not only do they have fears about her political abilities as Biden's presumptive heir apparent, but they also fear backlash for saying as much out loud.

"Democrats have seen what happens when anyone in their party openly criticizes Harris — they’re accused by activists and social-media critics of showing, at best, racial and gender insensitivity," Martin writes. "This doesn’t stifle concerns about her prospects, of course, it just pushes them further underground or into the shadows of background quotes."

He backs up his argument here with an anonymous quote from a House Democrat who said, “The Democrats who will need to speak out on her are from the Congressional Black Caucus, no white member is going to do it.”

Harris' legion of online supporters is reason enough to avoid criticizing her publicly. Known as "the KHive," the group has become notorious for going after critics of the vice president. A Huffpost article from 2020 describes an incident in which a woman was subjected to a campaign of harassment from self-identified members of the KHive on Twitter after she came to the defense of her son, who was also attacked for announcing he would no longer be supporting Harris for president that cycle.

Even high-profile Democrats who enjoy wide-ranging support of their own have had to be careful with their public comments about Harris. Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren set off a minor controversy last month when she seemed noncommittal in supporting Harris as Biden's running mate in 2024. After some interpreted Warren's comments as a pitch for herself to replace Harris, the senator walked her comments back and gave the vice president her full support.

Pay attention....nobody gave a shit about Gore, Biden, Quayle Chenny, etc and the same with Harris......and that's because the president is the important one...next stupid question, you moron

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tigerred59 View Post

Pay attention....nobody gave a shit about Gore, Biden, Quayle Chenny, etc and the same with Harris......and that's because the president is the important one...next stupid question, you moron
    Man, I used to love to day drink (well I guess I still do but just don't really do it anymore). I see you playa throwing a few back and watching Tiger at the LA Open (Genesis). To be young again...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

anonymoose (02-19-2023), ExpressLane (02-18-2023)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Those who dissent from the claims of power get beaten in America now.

This is a dark age after all.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

ExpressLane (02-18-2023)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Because some guy says so?

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Because some guy says so?
    Lots of media reporting is based on conjecture or just flat out lies so one is always free not to believe what is being reported. (Now that reality also opens up a large can of worms).

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

They dont want to admit that the WOKE Committees fucked up in picking her.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

17. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (02-18-2023)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Lots of media reporting is based on conjecture or just flat out lies so one is always free not to believe what is being reported. (Now that reality also opens up a large can of worms).
    You mean Fox News and the like?

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,561 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

She has not carved out a constituency. She has no base for running that I can see.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Flash (02-18-2023), Phantasmal (02-18-2023)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    She has not carved out a constituency. She has no base for running that I can see.
    This isn't about her running for President. (At least I haven't seen it reported anywhere that she will drop off the ticket and run against Biden.) It's about whether she's a liability to the ticket. Thus all these recent reports coming out of mainstream liberal publications of people in the party questioning whether she should be replaced.

And as this article and Politico's reporting stated, stating that publicly will get people coming after you. (You not a KHive member Nordberg?)

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This isn't about her running for President. (At least I haven't seen it reported anywhere that she will drop off the ticket and run against Biden.) It's about whether she's a liability to the ticket. Thus all these recent reports coming out of mainstream liberal publications of people in the party questioning whether she should be replaced.

And as this article and Politico's reporting stated, stating that publicly will get people coming after you. (You not a KHive member Nordberg?)
    Again, that's his opinion. Why should they care if people say negative things about them? I mean really the Republicans have done nothing but treating Democrats, especially women of color, like shit.

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Vice presidential candidates have very little influence on presidential voting. The VP might get an additional 2-3 points in their home state.