Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Into the Night, Enlightened One, Anarchon and artichoke

Thread: How Does A Wall Prevent People From Seeking Asylum? Is A Gated Wall Really Indicated?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default How Does A Wall Prevent People From Seeking Asylum? Is A Gated Wall Really Indicated?

Ya know?

I don't get it.

They walk right up to the gates.

We have caravans of people coming here to seek asylum. They walk up to the gates and declare they are requesting asylum. We can't process them fast enough; so they are released into the USA. Although we might separate parents and children and not tell them where to find one another. But still they come. They are not trying to cross illegally. They walk right up to the crossings.

How is a wall supposed to stop this?

Doesn't it have gates? Isn't THAT where asylum seekers are getting in?

Seems like the wrong approach.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

Maybe we need to increase our ability to process asylum seekers.

Ya think?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-11-2019), kudzu (01-12-2019), Phantasmal (01-10-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

They are not trying to cross illegally. They walk right up to the crossings.
    incorrect. they do both.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-11-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, One ... if you have 'Gates', there must be some kind of Fence or Wall.
    Two. I think it's a 'Sales gimmick' for the Trump base.

Think about it, who does 'Cheap Labor' benefit?

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

The OP is right if the answer is "it does not."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-11-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

How come during the last two years, when Repubs controlled the House, why wasn't this a Big Issue?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-11-2019), kudzu (01-12-2019), Phantasmal (01-10-2019), PoliTalker (01-11-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

can't build a wall a couple thousand miles long to begin with, it would take a decade and cost hundreds of billions and entail eminent domain court cases for years and years

it's just a big Trump fantasy campaign promise, pure kabuki

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-11-2019), Phantasmal (01-10-2019)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    How come during the last two years, when Repubs controlled the House, why wasn't this a Big Issue?
    They tried it and it didn't pass.

And it would look pretty silly to shut down the government over a disagreement with his own party.

Trump had to wait until the Dems controlled the house.

Makes for better theatrics.

Great for diverting attention away from collusion.

Also good rallying call to the base for 2020.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Jack (01-11-2019)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

To "increase our ability to process" would mean they get sent back faster, so the democrats would never go for that. The simple answer is change the law and stop accepting their applications if you want to stop them. Require that they file their application in person in Turkey. There are plenty of ways to handle that.

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Kacper,

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    To "increase our ability to process" would mean they get sent back faster, so the democrats would never go for that. The simple answer is change the law and stop accepting their applications if you want to stop them. Require that they file their application in person in Turkey. There are plenty of ways to handle that.
    Such a requirement is just as absurd as it sounds.

The USA does not produce enough American babies to maintain our population level.

Without immigrants, the USA would eventually die out.

Republicans are fighting a losing battle in going up against immigration.

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Kacper,

Such a requirement is just as absurd as it sounds.

The USA does not produce enough American babies to maintain our population level.

Without immigrants, the USA would eventually die out.

Republicans are fighting a losing battle in going up against immigration.
    To think that we must continue to expand our population is absurd, especially coming from the side that pretends to want to reduce our carbon output.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    incorrect. they do both.

about half of illegals (660,000) are visa overstays, get them out.

reinstate the https://www.uscis.gov/CAM program that your moron in chief cancelled and expand it so all asylum seekers have to apply in their own country. when they are declined they are in their home country so no transport expenses are involved.

Examine the border to determine if any more wall would actually help.

Examine aid to the triangle to determine how it needs to be adjusted. https://www.usglc.org/faq-violence-m...ntral-america/

Get serious about punishing employers that hire illegals.

Develop a serious program to bring in temporary agriculture workers.

understand that more illegals are leaving than are coming in and stop the trump induced rabid hysteria.

Understand that a wall will not deter people desperate to escape poverty and drug cartels
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-12-2019), PoliTalker (01-13-2019)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello kudzu,

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    about half of illegals (660,000) are visa overstays, get them out.

reinstate the https://www.uscis.gov/CAM program that your moron in chief cancelled and expand it so all asylum seekers have to apply in their own country. when they are declined they are in their home country so no transport expenses are involved.

Examine the border to determine if any more wall would actually help.

Examine aid to the triangle to determine how it needs to be adjusted. https://www.usglc.org/faq-violence-m...ntral-america/

Get serious about punishing employers that hire illegals.

Develop a serious program to bring in temporary agriculture workers.

understand that more illegals are leaving than are coming in and stop the trump induced rabid hysteria.

Understand that a wall will not deter people desperate to escape poverty and drug cartels
    Great post. Thanks.

All that makes too much sense. Where's the photo-ops in that? No theatrics. Just smart leadership. His followers would never understand. They seem to be more of a visual / emotional crowd. Deep thinking eludes them. Deep state conspiracy theories. That is more on their level.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

kudzu (01-13-2019)