Thread: IntoTheNight, a very simple question for you

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default IntoTheNight, a very simple question for you

Do you drink dirty or clean water? Why or why not?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (10-03-2022), LurchAddams (10-03-2022), Trumpet (10-06-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Not to interject, but to interject, How clean is clean enough?

For example, distilled and RO water are bad for you because they are too acidic. These are two of the cleanest sources of water there are.

When I was stationed in Bahrain, I'd fill one or two 5 gallon jugs with RO water available on the base. I'd then add about a cup of local water to each jug (it was desalinated but still tasted salty and was very hard) to reduce the acidity and improve the taste.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-05-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,172 Times in 10,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

For example, distilled and RO water are bad for you because they are too acidic. These are two of the cleanest sources of water there are.

When I was stationed in Bahrain, I'd fill one or two 5 gallon jugs with RO water available on the base. I'd then add about a cup of local water to each jug (it was desalinated but still tasted salty and was very hard) to reduce the acidity and improve the taste.
    I’m pretty sure he was referring to government regulations regarding our drinking water.

RO and distilled are also not good because there are no electrolytes. By osmosis, they suck the electrolytes OUT of your system.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-03-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the addition to my thread. Explain what RO water is. I just looked it up and apparently it has side effects, but I want you to expand it further.

The Bird Man asked me to define pollution so I did. And he kept asking me to define it.

If he is for real, I asked this question because it is related to the question.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,893 Times in 6,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

He, Text Drivers and truth detector share the same brain cell.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

AProudLefty (10-03-2022)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thank you for the addition to my thread. Explain what RO water is. I just looked it up and apparently it has side effects, but I want you to expand it further.

The Bird Man asked me to define pollution so I did. And he kept asking me to define it.

If he is for real, I asked this question because it is related to the question.
    RO water is made by Reverse Osmosis. The most common method is to use a mole sieve to remove everything larger than the H2O molecules. Think of this as a screen door to keep out the mosquitos. You force the water through the mole sieve--usually after a prefiltration to remove organics and larger molecules along with things like turbidity (dirt).

Yea, I had to study up on all this in Bahrain because I was like the enlisted expert to the ROIC (Resident Officer In-charge of Construction). I even got a big cubicle of my own in an otherwise empty office space with nobody else supervising me! I was supposed to be the technical expert advising him on such things (my big concern was the sewage system--bad, bad design...).

Anyway, the USN was using RO for freshwater on the base, so I became an expert on RO water.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

AProudLefty (10-03-2022)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Anyway, the USN was using RO for freshwater on the base, so I became an expert on RO water.
    Why is RO needed on freshwater?

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why is RO needed on freshwater?
    They did RO because the local water that is desalinated doesn't meet US standards. It tastes distinctly salty and has TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) well above US standards, among other issues. So the base put in a huge tank that used an RO membrane to clean it up. There were other issues with that I won't discuss because they're related to security of the base.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,589 Times in 51,902 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like my water non-toxic and non-disease carrying, but maybe I'm picky.

Yes, I'm fine with recommended safe levels published by "the experts".
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (10-04-2022)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

They did RO because the local water that is desalinated doesn't meet US standards. It tastes distinctly salty and has TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) well above US standards, among other issues. So the base put in a huge tank that used an RO membrane to clean it up. There were other issues with that I won't discuss because they're related to security of the base.
    A neighbor had a whole house RO unit put in and I was wondering if the problems you experienced would also be present in US water systems.
    THey did it because they were pretty sure tap water was toxic and as this was like 20 years ago these systems were not cheap.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    A neighbor had a whole house RO unit put in and I was wondering if the problems you experienced would also be present in US water systems.
    THey did it because they were pretty sure tap water was toxic and as this was like 20 years ago these systems were not cheap.
    US tap water is safe, even most of the time when the government / powers that be say it isn't. RO can also be an issue with piping in your home due to the acidity. If you want decent tap water--and this depends on where you live-- install a under sink filter for the one sink or two that you use for drinking and cooking water. The rest don't matter. That filter should take care of organics (anerobic "slime" and bacteria grow in pipes), and for 'stuff' that got in the water between the treatment plant and your home (general dirt etc.).
    Beyond that, you can treat for specific stuff where you live like rust, lead, total dissolved solids, taste, odor, etc. They make specific filters to handle that stuff. What you don't want is "pure" water without some hard water in it or ion replacement using salt in a soft water system. Doing it at the faucet is best.

Change the filter every 90 to 180 days and make sure to wipe out the filter container when you do. That's all there is to that. You get great quality water and it isn't grossly expensive.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,172 Times in 10,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

US tap water is safe, even most of the time when the government / powers that be say it isn't. RO can also be an issue with piping in your home due to the acidity. If you want decent tap water--and this depends on where you live-- install a under sink filter for the one sink or two that you use for drinking and cooking water. The rest don't matter. That filter should take care of organics (anerobic "slime" and bacteria grow in pipes), and for 'stuff' that got in the water between the treatment plant and your home (general dirt etc.).
    Beyond that, you can treat for specific stuff where you live like rust, lead, total dissolved solids, taste, odor, etc. They make specific filters to handle that stuff. What you don't want is "pure" water without some hard water in it or ion replacement using salt in a soft water system. Doing it at the faucet is best.

Change the filter every 90 to 180 days and make sure to wipe out the filter container when you do. That's all there is to that. You get great quality water and it isn't grossly expensive.
    Agreed. 100% correct.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

thanks. that family (actually the missus) was overly obsessed with any sort of impurities real or imagined.

I still find it surprising that water (just plain old H2O) is acidic. I would have bet money that it was as neutral a thing as there could be.

Live and learn.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

RQAA. Void question. You have to define your terms.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

He has not yet defined what 'clean' or 'dirty' even mean. He cannot define 'pollution' either. This is a trolling thread. Nothing else.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

anonymoose (10-04-2022)