Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does AOC Have That Boebert Does Not?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,627 Times in 51,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

A college degree.
    ...and a cleaner arrest record.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

christiefan915 (09-24-2022), evince (09-24-2022), PoliTalker (09-24-2022)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,627 Times in 51,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I'm not sure AOC is crazy smart. When explaining why unemployment was so low she said it was because many people were working 2-3 jobs--that from an economics major.
    She's not...unless compared to Boebert or MTG, then she's a stable genius.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,632 Times in 4,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,357 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    Think now: if one person is working 3 jobs, the employment tally does NOT list that one person...it just registers those 3 businesses have employees, which is part of the unemployment numbers (lower, that is).

Unemployment rate is not based on how many employees a business has.

"The unemployment rate is the proportion of the labor force that is not currently employed but could be. There are six different ways the unemployment rate is calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics using different criteria.

What Is the Unemployment Rate? Rates By State (investopedia.com)
    From your link:

What Is the Unemployment Rate?
    The unemployment rate is the percentage of the labor force without a job. It is a lagging indicator, meaning that it generally rises or falls in the wake of changing economic conditions, rather than anticipating them. When the economy is in poor shape and jobs are scarce, the unemployment rate can be expected to rise. When the economy grows at a healthy rate and jobs are relatively plentiful, it can be expected to fall.

Which begs the question....if only 1 in 10 people is working 3 jobs instead of 3 different people, is not the stat inaccurately reflecting the employment/unemployment rate? Could you accurately say 70% unemployment when it's actually 90%?

This is why when the economic depts. of broadcast and print media started stating that they could comfortably include people who have "given up" seeking jobs, I want to scream BS from the highest mountain. NO ONE mentions that the number of people who's unemployment benefits exhausted is NOT part to the equation that unemployment is down because less people are on the dole.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-24-2022)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,896 Times in 6,587 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe. Like many people they respond in partisan cliches.
    She's not "stupid" though. I've seen clips of her speaking. She makes sense. Also, I've seen her in Congressional inquiries - she's effective, in my opinion, so you can't really compare her to a MTG.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

evince (09-24-2022), PoliTalker (09-24-2022)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    Which begs the question....if only 1 in 10 people is working 3 jobs instead of 3 different people, is not the stat inaccurately reflecting the employment/unemployment rate? Could you accurately say 70% unemployment when it's actually 90%?
    I'm not real clear on your example. Out of 10 people how many are working?

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    She's not "stupid" though. I've seen clips of her speaking. She makes sense. Also, I've seen her in Congressional inquiries - she's effective, in my opinion, so you can't really compare her to a MTG.
    Agreed. I did not make that comparison. She is too far left to get her policy proposals passed, but she represents the voice of a conscience in the House.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

evince (09-24-2022), LurchAddams (09-23-2022), PoliTalker (09-24-2022)

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,632 Times in 4,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,357 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post

Only one person out of ten is working in the example. That one person is working 3 jobs. The system reports that employment is up and unemployment is down because it only reports the jobs filled as if three separate people are working instead of just one.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

evince (09-24-2022)

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    AOC is crazy smart. Bobo and MTG are just crazy.

Yagina
    All the little mini-Trumps were predicted. I was quite dismayed to read of it shortly after he was elected. I didn't want it to be so, but I knew the author was correct. And now here we are.

We so need to get Trump convicted of SOMETHING for the good of America, hopefully many things. It is remarkable that he has eluded justice thus far but it does appear that is becoming less available to him.

The best way out of this mess I can see is Trump gets convicted, then Trumpism falls back out to the fringes, the cult is more widely ridiculed and marginalized. Then the Democratic Party learns a lesson that they must renew focus on inclusion of Republicans into legislation, even if Republicans resist. They must always be included at whatever level possible. And the rhetoric needs to subside. America cannot heal from Trumpism if grudges are going to be held. That's gonna be a tough challenge, but forgiveness is the right thing to do.

We have to let it go, forgive, make a place for the brighter more cohesive future we would like to see.

I'm not saying forget. Hardly. We learn a big lesson from this and part of it is that we need to have more respect for people in this nation even if they disagree. And if they go low, we go high. If they embarrass themselves by lashing out, we let it go like water off a ducks back. Then we feel badly for them having lost their cool. And we let all that go and we make a place for more civil discourse when the dust has settled.

It would help if Republicans admit their mistakes. Some will. Most won't. The bigger thing to do is to overlook that. Either let them rant and wait or simply distance from them if they are just never going to become cordial. When we engage then we are going low. Both sides going low is not the way forward for America. Resist that even when others around you cannot. The more people who rise above this animosity the better it is for America.

This is America, not the Jerry Springer Show.

Let's make America work for America, not just the rumor/gossip/confrontation profiteers.

Time to dial up our feng shui.

What comes around goes around. If we want good vibes coming around, then good vibes is what we need to put out. And be patient.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

LurchAddams (09-24-2022)

15. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

A college degree.
    The ability to think.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-24-2022)

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

NO. It counts people, not jobs.

18. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

I'm not sure AOC is crazy smart. When explaining why unemployment was so low she said it was because many people were working 2-3 jobs--that from an economics major.
    Sounds pretty accurate to me. The figure is calculated based on the premise that an individual working just one hour per week is defined as 'employed.' If capitalism is going to mainly create jobs which cannot be lived on, then they will be filled by individuals who hold several of that type of job. That's not a great existence, particularly with increased transportation expenditures in personal budgets due to having to commute to multiple jobs, but those who resist or do not qualify for government assistance programs have to do what they have to do to pay the rent and eat. It is understandable why so many have participated in the big quit.

Maybe we would be better off by ending all these social assistance programs and simply replacing them with a UBI. Tax the rich more heavily to pay for it. I really do not see a problem with this. As a matter of fact, I think it is kind of inevitable and I'm just waiting for the rest of the country to figure it out. We have taxed the rich at 90% of their income above everyone else's income in the past and the country was just fine. As a matter of fact, some consider that time to be when when America 'was great.'
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

19. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    ...and a cleaner arrest record.
    Excellent point!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-24-2022), evince (09-24-2022)

21. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,926 Times in 13,193 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

What Does AOC Have That Boebert Does Not?

A Penis...

22. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Oh i was going to say, crabs

I take you think that means she's smart?
    It’s a level of attainment

It takes commitment and work

Years of effort with very little reward except your own commitment to knowledge

You like the idiot you are think knowing things is bad

It’s why you are such a fucking loser

23. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What Does AOC Have That Boebert Does Not?

A Penis...
    Is that what you think college is for

Getting penis?