Thread: Republican Ideology through History

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Are you addressing me, or Superfreak (who made the claim)?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Return of Dune View Post
    who did i quote?

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I fail to see the point of your post.

Mind elaborating?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I fail to see the point of your post.

Mind elaborating?
    did you make a claim about when america became a debtor nation? did you read my link?

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

did you make a claim about when america became a debtor nation? did you read my link?
    No, I didn't make that claim. That was Superfreak, as I explained above.

Yes, I did read your link.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wrong. America became a debtor nation in 1973.

Thanks Tricky Dick (R)

Thanks for creating all those jobs (in China) too.
    No, I didn't make that claim. That was Superfreak, as I explained above.

Yes, I did read your link.
    you didn't make a claim? still going with that story? i don't see where SF made that claim, it appears in YOUR post though.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

you didn't make a claim? still going with that story? i don't see where SF made that claim, it appears in YOUR post though.
    Are you retarded?

I quoted superfreak. Post # 8 in this thread.

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are you retarded?

I quoted superfreak. Post # 8 in this thread.
    dumbass, you didn't "quote" him in the post. you didn't even reference him. you just made a post and there is nothing to indicate that you're quoting anyone.

good lord you are fucking stupid.

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

you didn't "quote" him in the post. you didn't even reference him. you just made a post and there is nothing to indicate that you're quoting anyone.
    I know. That's why I asked;

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

The above dialogue is an example of the usual content or is that lack of content online. Two children argue with each other over nothing but on they go. Is there any wonder why America is becoming a third string nation when these are the best and brightest?

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

Back OT. It has been suggested the republican power structure does not trust their primary candidate Mitt Romney to be inflexible enough. Romney polls low among a party driven by ideology only. In a real sense republicans are at their best when in opposition to change and progress, the outline in the OP testifies to their failure to govern, but their constant whining, as shown by the tea party and tax pledges, demonstrates how narrow focused republicans remain. So unless a real conservative in their ideological image appears, they may just continue to be against progress for America. They do that one thing better than anything else. That is they do 'nothing' very well.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hate to be a I told you so but...

'Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem." By Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein

Rep. Allen West, a Florida Republican, was recently captured on video asserting that there are “78 to 81” Democrats in Congress who are members of the Communist Party. Of course, it’s not unusual for some renegade lawmaker from either side of the aisle to say something outrageous. What made West’s comment — right out of the McCarthyite playbook of the 1950s — so striking was the almost complete lack of condemnation from Republican congressional leaders or other major party figures, including the remaining presidential candidates.

It’s not that the GOP leadership agrees with West; it is that such extreme remarks and views are now taken for granted."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...m_opinions_pop

I am working on a revised republican history, stay tuned.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Hate to be a I told you so but...

'Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem." By Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein

Rep. Allen West, a Florida Republican, was recently captured on video asserting that there are “78 to 81” Democrats in Congress who are members of the Communist Party. Of course, it’s not unusual for some renegade lawmaker from either side of the aisle to say something outrageous. What made West’s comment — right out of the McCarthyite playbook of the 1950s — so striking was the almost complete lack of condemnation from Republican congressional leaders or other major party figures, including the remaining presidential candidates.

It’s not that the GOP leadership agrees with West; it is that such extreme remarks and views are now taken for granted."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...m_opinions_pop

I am working on a revised republican history, stay tuned.
    That's why we have a thread going on with the same title. Thanks for lumping me together with yurt by the way.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Slight revision. Please check later posts for any updates - and if some area can be improved, please pm me or post period and policy.

Republican Ideology the Past One Hundred Years

"...Ideology makes men fight for their servitude as stubbornly as though it were their salvation." Deleuze/Guattari

Roaring Twenties, America turns inward after WWI, laissez faire economics prevail
    Harding reduces taxes on the wealthy to spur growth
    Three consecutive republican administrations, supply side economy, little regulation
    Republicans align themselves with big business
    Coolidge/Hoover presidencies, a bubble mentality ensues as wall street speculation grows
    Bubble bursts, banks collapse, economy collapses
    Rigid republican policy prevents creative, workable solutions
    Great Depression begins - Hoover ineffective
    Hoover a businessman gets advice from the wealthy and National Association of Manufacturers
    Hoover does little substantive, eventually fails completely
    FDR elected, first 100 days creates job programs
    FDR creates strong regulatory structure, starts minimum wage at 25 cents
    These are the times of radio and newspapers
    FDR creates the greatest single asset for all Americans: Social Security
    FDR prepares America for the inevitable by funding training for fifty thousand new pilots
    FDR masterfully fought WWII along with Churchill and Stalin
    FDR wins three terms and is ranked by most as the greatest modern period American president
    New Deal creates a dynamic economy of technological growth
    GI Bill passes and sets the stage for the growth of education and the middle class
    American Medical Association killed universal health insurance under FDR and Truman
    Fifty years of American exceptionalism follow FDR's presidency
    Truman ends the savagery of World War II with Japan with the ultimate savagery
    Truman uses UN in Korean war effort over fear of communism's spread
    Truman extends New Deal and Civil rights
    WWII end brings prosperity to America due to GI Bill, home growth, and durable goods growth
    High tax rates continue until seventies and eighties
    American corporations support the American worker with pensions and healthcare
    United Nations declaration of universal rights
    Eisenhower ignores right wing war mongering republicans, extends civil rights
    Warren court hands down ruling on public school segregation
    Eisenhower continues progressivism, Vietnam involvement continues from Truman
    Eisenhower's grand idea and job's program, the Interstate highway begins
    Interstate highway is based on Germany's autobahn
    Eisenhower commits to helping South Vietnam
    The 'Cold War' clouds the mind of America creating an atmosphere of fear and distrust
    Nixon loses to Kennedy in first TV election
    Kennedy buys into ridiculous Bay of Pigs plan from Eisenhower administration
    America's youth gain power prestige and purchasing power
    Advertising, aka propaganda, grows as TV replaces radio
    Kennedy reduces taxes for wealthy and corporations to stir growth
    Battle for space with Russia consumes and grows America's technology
    Blacks decide waiting any longer for equality is too long
    Rosa Parks, among others, and Martin Luther King motivate a freedom movement long pass due
    Camelot ends in Dallas
    Goldwater loses big due to perception of irrationality but race enters politics as divisive element
    LBJ starts big but ends his Great Society administration over war
    LBJ foolishly listens to war cries concerning domino effect and tragically involves America in Nam
    LBJ advances civil rights and extended welfare so all Americans can have a little of the pie
    Voter rights extended to all under Johnson Administration
    Like FDR, Lyndon Baines Johnson moves America a bit closer to fairness and equality
    AMA finally loses, LBJ creates the second great American accomplishment Medicare
    Anti-war demonstrations change attitudes and diminish LBJ social achievements
    Nixon elected on law and order platform
    Nixon has secret plan for ending Vietnam but paranoid personality ruins administration
    Nixon opens up trade to China and negotiates with Mother Russia
    Internet begins with DOD project to protect communications against Armageddon
    Nixon's paranoid personality and his administration misfits create Watergate
    Fearing impeachment Nixon resigns, Ford takes helm
    Watergate changes campaign financing regulations
    Carter elected, religion enters politics
    Carter inherits stagflation economy from Nixon / Ford
    Carter supports Afghanistan against Russian occupation, seeds are set for growth of insurgency terrorism
    CNN and the start of 24 by 7 news begins
    Carter reduces taxes for wealthy and increases military spending
    Iranian militants take Americans captive
    Oil embargo hurts Carter but efforts at energy policy are forgotten as Reagan wins
    Reagan starts the destruction of the middle class in part by making government the problem
    Reagan starts destruction of regulatory agencies that eventually lead to the Great Recession of today
    Reagan reduces taxes for wealthy - corporations and think tanks gain persuasive powers
    Reagan or his administration realize their errors and raise taxes several times, including largest peace time tax
    With bipartisan support Reagan helps social security remain solvent
    America becomes a debtor nation under Reagan, invades Grenada
    Reagan escapes impeachment over Iran Contra
    Government grows larger under Reagan
    Bush Sr experiences effect of Reagan economic policies, economy collapses, real estate boom crash, S&L scandal, bailouts to rescue nation again after republican policies
    Russian communism collapses from age and incompetence that all oligarchies face
    G.H.W. Bush loses to William Jefferson Clinton as Republican policies once more fail the nation
    "It's the economy, stupid."
    Internet commercialization grows as browsers develop and business goes online
    Clinton raises taxes, economy recovers aided by millennium and Internet bubble
    Armies of money and power go after Clinton on healthcare proposal, spending publicly and privately millions
    Clinton buys into financial nonsense, supporting NAFTA, regulatory and welfare reform
    Clinton raises minimum wage and job growth continues
    Government shrinks under Clinton
    Clinton foolishly continues deregulatory policies of republicans
    Republicans waste millions on Whitewater fishing investigation
    Ridiculous DADT policy implemented after republican opposition to more open policy
    Clinton moves right and sells out progressive values over welfare and wall street regulation
    Monica and the meaning of 'is' fill the news and blanket real issues
    Republicans with nothing positive for America on their agenda investigate and try to impeach Clinton
    All of the senators voting against the violence against women act were republican men
    Millions are spent to remove a democratically elected president
    Enron scandal, along with many other corporate scandals, demonstrate the need for better regulatory structure
    Gore wins popular vote, republicans fight Florida recount
    Bush-Gore election goes to Bush as SCOTUS moves from interpreters of law to corporate activists
    SCOTUS decides election rather than the people
    Bush proves himself inept in all ways, but 911 attack creates fear and more war cries
    Bush proves himself an incompetent leader who creates massive debt and war deaths
    Clinton surplus is squandered on tax relief primarily for the wealthy
    'War on Terror' clouds the mind of America creating an atmosphere of fear
    Bush, as Reagan did, grows government and creates massive federal debt
    Katrina incompetence represents firsthand the failure of republican governance
    Loss of regulatory structure starting with Reagan and continuing with Clinton and Bush helps creates housing bubble
    Bush invades Iraq based on trumped up propaganda about WMDs and scare tactics
    Real estate bubble bursts over poor investments and just plain greed and stupidity on wall street and investment firms
    Loss of regulatory structures again leads to economic collapse in America and areas of the world
    Immigration issues ignored except in rhetoric, no policy progress
    Great depression fears grow again after eight years of republican governance
    National Association of Manufacturers and other corporations today own congress due to need for election monies
    Bush administration bails out banks and investment firms
    Economy collapses under Bush and bailouts are once again required during a republican administration
    One in four children in America suffers hunger
    Job loss and poverty increase again under republican business governance
    Obama wins election for 'change' due to the total failure of Bush and the republicans
    Armies of money and power again mount offensive attacking the American values of justice and fairness represented by Obama
    Election loss creates powerful forces against change of status quo
    Race continues to be an ingredient of American politics for the republicans as voting suppression again demonstrates
    Outsourcing automation and downsizing negatively affect job growth in America
    Big money conservatives again fight against the workings of democracy
    Republicans in congress clearly state their only goal is removal of our democratically elected president
    Corporations no longer work for America but for profit
    Republican governors and judicial appointees mount war against voter rights and democratic government
    Obama's help of GM and Chrysler is a financial and job saving success
    Republican presidents have worst job record, with the two Bush administrations as the worst
    Tea party forms supported by big money and rigid ideology
    The activist SCOTUS decides corporations are really people, money gains even more power
    A grassroots movement in Egypt removes a corrupt administration from power
    Osama bin Laden found and executed after concerted effort by Obama administration
    Obama attempts at bipartisanship and compromise prove impossible under republican intransigence
    Market up under Obama (30% at time of writing)
    Market October 2011 best in ten years
    Stimulus for America helped greatly but republicans fight against American values of sharing
    Obama passes Healthcare policy, keeps campaign promises on wars
    America is too scared to live up to its principles of a fair trial and creates military tribunals
    DADT is finally removed but Obama shows no guts as billions are squandered on Bush's tax policy that failed completely
    Job numbers improve greatly from Bush but European fears and globalism affect markets
    Big money fights healthcare and think tank rhetoric distorts potential cost savings
    Wall street fights hard to maintain its wild west greed mentality
    Mid term elections prove once again America's workers and working class don't vote in sufficient numbers
    Republicans block all job bills and block Obama's nominations for public office
    Obama's Libyan policy is successful with minor expenditure
    Tea party ideologues try to sabotage government on debt ceiling to bring down America's elected president
    Tea party backed by republican big money work to destroy America's greatest asset its strong federal government
    Bush Jr tax policies still govern America as republicans fight for big oil and big money
    Poverty in America increases as republicans fight for the wealthy and the corporations
    America's credit rating is downgraded due to intransigence of republicans in congress
    Republican presidential candidates kowtow to tea party and Norquist tax pledge
    Republicans blast each other with big money as primary weapon rather than ideas and policy
    Wages for working Americans have been flat since Reagan with minor jump during Clinton
    Republican men once again block passage of violence against women bill
    All five female Republican senators voted to reauthorize and expand the landmark law
    Republicans propose numerous abortion restrictions, most unconstitutional, but do nothing to help working Americans
    Presidential election cycle heats up as focus moves back to power rather than governance
    Republican governed state houses work to bring back Jim Crow and voter suppression
    Republicans cheer loudly for death penalty numbers, republicans boo a gay soldier
    Republican debate audience demonstrates 'compassionate conservative' was always an oxymoron
    Republicans with nothing productive to do try to capsize Obama administration as they did Clinton
    Republicans admit new voter rules are only to suppress minority voters
    Only 12% of Americans think Congress is doing a good job and a majority want their own representatives removed from office
    Romney moves into Flip-Flopville and Perry gains strength due to his extreme views and cowboy image
    Republicans still mention taxes and regulation as economic panaceas after their proven failure
    Wall Street occupation begins, outcome unknown
    While the great recession had many negative consequences Social Security and Medicare helped seniors through these hard times
    While republicans often mention freedom they are the least free politicians, ideology prevents them from working towards solutions
    The rigid republican ideology explains their failures when given the reigns of governance
    Republicans today only want power back and stand in the way of jobs and rebuilding America
    The majority of Americans support Obama's new Job's Bill
    Boehner, Cantor, Ryan and McConnell show their true selves and deny help for teachers, police, and fire fighters
    Republicans block Jobs bill proving once more America's working class doesn't count
    American businesses have separated their interests from those of building and supporting the nation
    Republicans in 2010 win a majority in the house based on their job promises but do nothing for jobs
    Wall street protest spreads, demonstrating the spirit of fairness and equality still exist in America
    While Romney remains the most likely to succeed, republicans enjoy their position of 'opposition only' and may wait for a candidate they deem conservative enough either now, or five years from now
    Rick Perry's bid dies of self inflicted wounds
    Newt Gingrich for a time becomes the gladiator of the party of family values
    Lee Atwater's language of code returns once more to republican conversation
    PACs demonstrate the power of money as republicans voters move to one candidate then the other
    Republican debates are oddly telling on the wide disparities in both wealth and business practices
    Money ironically drags the failed policies of 'vulture' capitalism out in the open
    America's political system, and even our court system, has moved away from practical politics that works for the people to a system that works only for the politicians, big money and corporations
    Fast and Furious, the republicans latest whitewater type investigation, proves empty and as useless as most republican political acts.
    Surprisingly SCOTUS rules that the affordable care act (ACA), aka Obamacare, is constitutional
    Republican opposition to the ACA again demonstrate law is only constitutional if it agrees with their interpretation of law
    The republican congress in another example of absurd theater discover communists in their midst
    Romney wins the battle of money politics and begins another round of odd gaffes and extreme views
    Obama adds to his accomplishments a correction to immigration law regarding young people whose parents brought them to America
    Since Romney has flip flopped on almost every issue it is difficult to tell who he may be
    Romney refuses to release tax returns and is found to have money made in America invested in many foreign banks
    The republican congress continues to engage in meaningless and often unconstitutional bill debate and voting, wasting time but appealing to a hardcore base of radicals who vote, theater is all they do
    And so it goes....

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

It has been suggested the republican power structure does not trust their primary candidate Mitt Romney to be inflexible enough. [To this writer he seems on course concerning the rigid ideology of republicans today] The other candidates have little chance but in a field so weak, they dream that just maybe their time will come. Sometimes it comes and goes as Rick Perry demonstrated. Romney polls low among a party driven by ideology only. In a real sense republicans are at their best when in opposition to change and progress, the outline in the OP testifies to their failure to govern, but their constant whining, as shown by the tea party caucus and tax pledge followers, demonstrates how narrow focused republicans remain. So unless a 'real conservative' in their 'ideological image' appears, they may just continue to be against progress for America. They do that one thing better than anything else, that is, they do 'nothing' very well. Credit is due them there. Watch them in Congress today, you could watch any brick wall and see an equivalent spectacle unveil.

Recent: Obama went on offensive, helping mortgage holders and college students. Obama pushed jobs bill to help high unemployment and rebuild American states and cities, just as Roosevelt's job's bill helped rebuild and build America. Republicans again sidetracked real issues with malarkey about spending, taxes, and regulation, proving once again that the love of money is the greatest evil and the average voter has a short memory and pays little attention to results. It would seem that republicans with corporate support are still fighting Franklin Roosevelt's accomplishments and the freedoms given all by Lyndon Baines Johnson? Republicans today are the utopian ideologues who believe a few concepts can guide America towards heaven on earth. History proves them wrong over and over again. President Obama needs to attack them on their lack of values, and he needs allies in media and politics to do the same. When politics is only about power and not about America, compromise is impossible.

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Interesting, a thought out reply. I have to review later, but social security helps all people, even those in need, Glass Steagall only protects some of us. I don't have time but Reagan was horrible for America, period, and history bears that out - Clinton was better but by so little it is hard to measure. More later when I read through it. Hopefully I get at least one or two good challenges and not partisan BS. I'd like a real thought from the revisionists who have failed these past 30 years.

"....there's a growing realization that the starting point for many of the catastrophes confronting the United States today can be traced to Reagan's presidency. There's also a grudging reassessment that the "failed"- presidents of the 1970s--Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter--may deserve more credit for trying to grapple with the problems that now beset the country." http://www.opednews.com/articles/Ron...90605-584.html
    LOL
    you got your ass handed to you

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Slight revision. .
    you don't seriously think we're going to waste our time by reading it twice, do you?......if you changed something, tell us what it is.....that way we don't have to point out your ignorance twice....