Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Where does the US rank in testing.

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Wrong approach.

The logistics of testing ‘everyone’ approaches impossible. The labs couldn’t couldn’t keep up with it and by the time the results got out it wouldn’t only provide a snap shot of infections from weeks earlier.

Serum antibody tests are more accurate and they pick up *past infections*. And it can be done the same way they gather polling data. Statisticians can figure out the details so there’s no reason to test everyone.

Antibody tests are the only way to get an accurate CFR. We’re months into this and still taking guesses at it. Though preliminary antibody studies are pointing to a low COVID mortality rate. Not just one or two of them—all of them point to a low COVID CFR.

A lot more people have had the COVID virus than was assumed/guessed at. Apparently, a very great many of them are still up and walking around.

And this is wonderful news for several reasons.
    I'm not holding my breath for antibody testing for all. We can't even get current infection testing for all. I agree that it would be awesome if testing shows that most of a given population have antibodies and no ill effects.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I'm not holding my breath for antibody testing for all. We can't even get current infection testing for all. I agree that it would be awesome if testing shows that most of a given population have antibodies and no ill effects.
    Surely at some point the experts will produce!

THEY CANT FAIL FOREVER!

We Hope.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-05-2020)

4. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Well, prepare yourself for awesomeness because it’s probably coming lol.

We don’t need ‘most’ we just need a significant number.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (05-05-2020)

6. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Without knowing what the infection rate in a given population is, we cannot calculate the R0 value or the death rate. We would be a perfect lab for testing *everyone* up here, or almost everyone. We have some off-grid wilderness folk who probably wouldn't be interested, but it would be a good place to test a pop. in a particular geographic location.
    It must be an insurmountable challenge to have mobile testing units roam the region to accomplish that task.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-05-2020)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-05-2020)

9. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,669 Times in 17,927 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

PoliTalker:

"Dive, market, DIVE!

Take DT down with you.

McCarthy said if you like this economy you must vote not to impeach.

As if that had anything to do with guilt or innocence.

Are we to now believe that if the corona virus hit the stock market earlier that DT would have been convicted?"

02-28-2020, 06:47 AM #5 | Top
    PoliTalker

"Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

We're going down.

BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT!

Dive! Dive! Dive!"

10. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Frank Apisa,

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I agree Poli...but working all that into a line like: "In fact, that's what it is: A fool fooling a bunch of fools" woulda been too difficult.
    I believe it is worth the effort.

Some things deserve more than a soundbyte. And with our 140 character mindset, valuable detail is lost. Over simplification leads to believing the BS, dehumanizing the other side, which prompts them to do the same thing to us. The result is increased polarization and rampant dysfunction preventing the USA from moving forward and holding us back as problems escalate. That just doesn't work for America.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-05-2020)

12. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,669 Times in 17,927 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

PoliTalker:

"Dive, market, DIVE!

Take DT down with you.

McCarthy said if you like this economy you must vote not to impeach.

As if that had anything to do with guilt or innocence.

Are we to now believe that if the corona virus hit the stock market earlier that DT would have been convicted?"

02-28-2020, 06:47 AM #5 | Top
    PoliTalker

"Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

We're going down.

BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT!

Dive! Dive! Dive!"

13. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Wrong approach.

The logistics of testing ‘everyone’ approaches impossible. The labs couldn’t couldn’t keep up with it and by the time the results got out it wouldn’t only provide a snap shot of infections from weeks earlier.

Serum antibody tests are more accurate and they pick up *past infections*. And it can be done the same way they gather polling data. Statisticians can figure out the details so there’s no reason to test everyone.

Antibody tests are the only way to get an accurate CFR. We’re months into this and still taking guesses at it. Though preliminary antibody studies are pointing to a low COVID mortality rate. Not just one or two of them—all of them point to a low COVID CFR.

A lot more people have had the COVID virus than was assumed/guessed at. Apparently, a very great many of them are still up and walking around.

And this is wonderful news for several reasons.
    And tragic news for the ones they infected unknowingly who died, and for their loved ones grieving the loss.

14. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth Omar,

Well, prepare yourself for awesomeness because it’s probably coming lol.

We don’t need ‘most’ we just need a significant number.
    That significant number is around 10%.

We are at 2%.

We are asking/ordering meat packers to go back to work and we can't even test them all!

One would think if they are such vital workers we would place a higher value on their well being.

15. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-05-2020)

16. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth Omar,

That significant number is around 10%.

We are at 2%.

We are asking/ordering meat packers to go back to work and we can't even test them all!

One would think if they are such vital workers we would place a higher value on their well being.
    Wendys is already in shortage, McD's is next....

Starvation is not fun!
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

17. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Hawkeye10,

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Wendys is already in shortage, McD's is next....

Starvation is not fun!
    There are other places to eat, better sources of nutrition. Grocery stores actually have food that is ready to eat. Example: A can of oysters is priced lower than a Big Mac. There are almost limitless options for food. It would behoove those who are hooked on fast food to expand their horizons. It would be healthier. Eating better would make America healthier, and thus reduce the cost of health care.

I remember being in a grocery store and seeing the empty meat displays, then looking around the store and realizing there is plenty to eat, but it just might not be the selections we want.

How did America become so wimpy? I have heard the stories of all the sacrifices made during WWII. You just couldn't get things. Things were rationed. If you didn't have a ration allotment you were not allowed to buy the needed things. The whole nation was mobilized to fight the threat. Buy US bonds, grow a victory garden, use a bicycle, conserve gasoline, copper, and tires. There were even steel pennies! Make do and do without. Repurpose, reuse, recycle. We need to just buck up, accept the challenges, and persevere. We are strong. We can kick this bug's ass. We are humans. We shall prevail. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

It is unconscionable (and dumb) to demand meat packers go back to work, and to say that anybody who wants a test can get one, and not have 100% testing of meat packers. Sanitize the meat packing houses, test the workers 100%, problem solved.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 05-05-2020 at 07:23 AM.

18. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (05-05-2020)

19. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Hawkeye10,

There are other places to eat, better sources of nutrition. Grocery stores actually have food that is ready to eat. Example: A can of oysters is priced lower than a Big Mac. There are almost limitless options for food. It would behoove those who are hooked on fast food to expand their horizons. It would be healthier. Eating better would make America healthier, and thus reduce the cost of health care.

I remember being in a grocery store and seeing the empty meat displays, then looking around the store and realizing there is plenty to eat, but it just might not be the selections we want.

How did America become so wimpy? I have heard the stories of all the sacrifices made during WWII. You just couldn't get things. Things were rationed. If you didn't have a ration allotment you were not alloweed to buy the needed things. The whole nation was mobilized to fight the threat. Buy US bonds, grow a victory garden, use a bicycle, conserve gasoline, copper, and tires. There were even steel pennies! Make do and do without. Repurpose, reuse, recycle. We need to just buck up, accept the challenges, and persevere. We are strong. We can kick this bug's ass. We are humans. We shall prevail. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

It is unconscionable (and dumb) to demand meat packers go back to work, and to say that anybody who wants a test can get one, and not have 100% testing of meat packers. Sanitize the meat packing houses, test the workers 100%, problem solved.
    Curl up and die if that is what you need to do..I have a different idea.

In my world the work must get done.

Because I am not a moron.

DARK AGES SUCK!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Earl (05-05-2020)

21. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Hello Frank Apisa,

I believe it is worth the effort.

Some things deserve more than a soundbyte. And with our 140 character mindset, valuable detail is lost. Over simplification leads to believing the BS, dehumanizing the other side, which prompts them to do the same thing to us. The result is increased polarization and rampant dysfunction preventing the USA from moving forward and holding us back as problems escalate. That just doesn't work for America.
    It was a joke.

Look the word up...then get back to me.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

22. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    It was a joke.

Look the word up...then get back to me.
    My old friend Frank....demanding to stand upon the definition of words.....PRICELESS!

DARK AGES SUCK!

23. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 970 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Tests per 1 million population, we are not even in the top 30 countries. So that BS about us being 'the best at testing' is just that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Discuss.
    And thank Mother Earth for that. Plummeting has never felt so right.

-- The Left
    Free speech is cool as long as it jibes with our program.

-- The Left