Default First drive

Child's play for johnny football

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 86 Times in 85 Posts

It helps when the 12th man is the ref.

Ejecting HaHa Dix for a BOGUS targeting call?? It wasn't even pass interference!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Canceled.2014.1 For This Post:

leaningright (09-14-2013)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

Worse pi call I have ever seen.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

28 unanswered points!!!

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

Ejecting HaHa Dix for a BOGUS targeting call?? It wasn't even pass interference!!
    I hated that call. My wife and I were both talking to the TV when that happened.

After Bama caught up I was pretty confident in them. Don't get me wrong, I want Bama to lose sometime this year (sorry WB ) just to get some new blood into the BCS title game, I just didn't want A & M to beat them.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

Like bullshit. The guys on the field had that right! The reply definitely showed him lead with his head into the receivers helmet. Their argument...he had his hands up to catch the ball! Bullshit, he threw his hands up to fake it at the last second. His hands weren't even oriented in the direction the ball was thrown and, if you look at the play real close, the DB had his eyes closed before he made contact. That was a bonehead call by the replay booth. They need to make up their mind are they going to be serious about protecting players against concussions or not? There are more important things than winning a game, like keeping young men from getting brain damage. This is a good rule, the guys on the field got it right and the guys in the booth undermined a very important safety precaution. It was unconscionable of them and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I have no doubt what happened in the replay booth. They were pressured to reverse the call on the field out of fear that Bama would lose a competitive advantage and that A&M would have gained one. That shouldn't have even been a consideration. Safety first!
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 09-15-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I hated that call. My wife and I were both talking to the TV when that happened.

After Bama caught up I was pretty confident in them. Don't get me wrong, I want Bama to lose sometime this year (sorry WB ) just to get some new blood into the BCS title game, I just didn't want A & M to beat them.
    I don't. I think it's the most important new safety precaution implemented in college football in many years. It's a damned good rule, the call on the field should have stood and the guys in the replay booth affectively undermined the call and made a mockery of the rule in the process. If you overturn the ejection because replay shows he didn't lead with his head then why do you still get a 15 yard penalty? That doesn't make sense. What also doesn't make sense is that his phony (IMHO) attempt to catch the ball is irrelevant. If you lead with your head and hit the receive in the head....you're out of the game! Replay after replay clearly showed he led with his head and his lame attempt to appear as if he was going for the ball should be completely irrelevant. The only question that should be asked was "did he lead with his head when hit the receiver in the head? If the answer is "yes" then you're out of the game. Replay after replay clearly showed he led with his head. It was simply unconscionable of the replay booth to overturn that call. They should be ashamed of themselves. Apparently they don't take safety seriously and that upsets me.

This would have been a wonderful opportunity to show that the NCAA takes the brain injury issue seriously and they blew, for no good justifiable reason, one of the most primary fundamental precepts of enforcing safety rules, ruthless and consistent enforcement with absolutely no regard for any "mitigating circumstances". Safety comes first. PERIOD! Cause when it comes to safety there are no mitigating circumstances.

Any one who has ever worked as a safety professional knows this.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 09-15-2013 at 06:07 AM.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-15-2013)

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    A betting man would pick the NCAA to not get it right, no matter how simple or how complex the matter.
    Aint that the freaken truth. When I first heard this rule that was kind of my thinking. I was thinking. This will get players to change their behavior on the field to understand that under any circumstances, leading with your head and making head to head contact will not be tolerated. The result will be ejection from the game. A few kids get tossed from the game and players will change their behavior. For that to happen the rule needs the complete backing of management (in this case the NCAA) and it must be enforced consistently. That's how changing safety behavior works. It's a fundamental principle in safety management. Anyone who has ever worked in safety in industry knows this most basic principle. So when I heard of the new rule I was glad and thought it a good rule but as you correctly pointed out...I also though "How will the NCAA manage to screw this up too?" LOL

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Like $&@#%^. The guys on the field had that right! The reply definitely showed him lead with his head into the receivers helmet. Their argument...he had his hands up to catch the ball! @&$#%^, he threw his hands up to fake it at the last second. His hands weren't even oriented in the direction the ball was thrown and, if you look at the play real close, the DB had his eyes closed before he made contact. That was a bonehead call by the replay booth. They need to make up their mind are they going to be serious about protecting players against concussions or not? There are more important things than winning a game, like keeping young men from getting brain damage. This is a good rule, the guys on the field got it right and the guys in the booth undermined a very important safety precaution. It was unconscionable of them and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I have no doubt what happened in the replay booth. They were pressured to reverse the call on the field out of fear that Bama would lose a competitive advantage and that A&M would have gained one. That shouldn't have even been a consideration. Safety first!
    You must have been watching a completely different game than I was watching. And that last paragraph is just silly.
    Last edited by leaningright; 09-15-2013 at 08:00 PM.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You must have been watching a completely different game than I was watching. And that last paragraph is just silly.
    No kidding! There was no way Dix was leading with his head. He was going for the ball. In fact, I'm pretty sure his shoulder pads hit the receiver first. It wasn't even pass interference, much less targeting!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Canceled.2014.1 For This Post:

The Dude (09-15-2013)

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It shows it clearly at the 0:36 mark. Dix hit him with his shoulder pad, NOT his helmet.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Canceled.2014.1 For This Post:

The Dude (09-15-2013)

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,363 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I'm glad the replay booth reversed that. That was not targeting.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Canceled.2014.1 (09-15-2013), leaningright (09-15-2013)

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't. I've been involved in safety management for far to long. I mean I'm not going to get into hair splitting about "targeting" it's dumb. Intent should be utterly irrelevant. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to put the player ejection clause into the rule. That obviously doesn't have management buy in and without buy in by management no safety rule can be affectively and consistently enforced. I can buy those arguments but to undermine their own rule on safety by splitting hairs on "targeting" is indicative that they just simply don't get it or that the talk about protecting players from brain injuries is just that. Talk.

I've worked in safety management for to long to agree with what the replay booth did. It was indefensible and unconscionable and when it comes to safety....they clearly don't get it.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 09-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.