Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you purchashed your food insurance?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,870 Times in 21,642 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Have you purchashed your food insurance?

A friend purchashed a years worth of boxed and packaged food, the stuff is packeged such that they say it will be good for 10 years. Its enough to feed a family of four for a year. He bought it because he fears political meltdown in the comming year due to President Obama's ineptness. He listens to Glenn Beck every day!

This is an otherwise very smart guy, graduate of MIT. What gives? Is this really an intelegent thing to spend your money on? Really? I am really certian that its a waste of money and storage space. Also almost all of his friends and neighbors know about the stash. If things get bad enough to make people hungry, especally well off people like him, dont you think someone or some mob will take it from him? If I was really concerned enough to buy this food Id tell noone and burry it under my house.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seemingly intelligent people do stupid things all the time.

I knew a chap who purchased a pair of purple dungarees.

Needless to say, we no longer converse.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to charver For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-12-2011)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I know, people have all kinda biases... But is this a political thing, are Republicans more fear based?

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 63 Times in 52 Posts

At the current rate of inflation, your friend is very smart.

Look at the money he will save.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He did mention inflation, but seriously, is it likely to continue at going up at the current rate... no.

LOCK HIM UP!

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    A friend purchashed a years worth of boxed and packaged food, the stuff is packeged such that they say it will be good for 10 years. Its enough to feed a family of four for a year. He bought it because he fears political meltdown in the comming year due to President Obama's ineptness. He listens to Glenn Beck every day!

This is an otherwise very smart guy, graduate of MIT. What gives? Is this really an intelegent thing to spend your money on? Really? I am really certian that its a waste of money and storage space. Also almost all of his friends and neighbors know about the stash. If things get bad enough to make people hungry, especally well off people like him, dont you think someone or some mob will take it from him? If I was really concerned enough to buy this food Id tell noone and burry it under my house.
    there was a very long thread about something like this a couple of weeks ago. what is it about liberals that leads them to believe that preparing for future emergencies is fear and paranoia, but if it ever does come to fruition, that they simply have the right to lay siege to that very same person and take his items?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know, people have all kinda biases... But is this a political thing, are Republicans more fear based?
    Is that a serious question?

Glen Beck is fear monger, he sells fear for top dollar. Anyone who listens to him regularly is subject to a constant barrage of fear. He sells nothing but fear, with the exception of loathing.

Been in an airport lately?

You can't stand in an airport for more than a few minutes without hearing an anouncement that the current fear (threat) level is orange.

Really? It is orange every day for the last eight years?

I am half portugeese and half norwegian. My helper is half french and half lebanese. We are blacksmiths with facial hair and we dress in a grubby/manly way, kind of like bikers.
    The last time we flew into Nantucket, a terrorist alert was called and on the radio and everything. The police of course ignored my work truck, since they are well familar with it working all over town. By the time we got to the jobsite, the carpenters were all abuzz with the talk of the two "terrorists" who had just flown onto the island.

Cheney used the fear generated by the 9-11 attacks to enact the patriot act, reverse posse comitatus, invade sovereign nations, assault the middle and lower class etc.

Fear is now being used to prevent tax increases and portray all muslims in a negative light in an effort to ensure endless war.

Fear is the only tool the GOP has and they use it quite well. Look at Alias and Mr.T for examples of fear, driven my the GOP fear machine (Fox News, Limbaugh, Beck, etc.,)
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 63 Times in 52 Posts

He did mention inflation, but seriously, is it likely to continue at going up at the current rate... no.
    Please dont be naive, the cost of food alone has doubled since Obama has been in the Whitehouse.

Inflation Calculator

I live along the East coast and we get hit with tropical storms and hurricanes all the time. we always store food, gas, batteries etc.

You won't see me standing in a line waiting for the Red Cross to hand out a cup of water and a bag of ice.

The Grasshopper and the Ants

In a field one summer's day a grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. A group of ants walked by, grunting as they struggled to carry plump kernels of corn.

"Where are you going with those heavy things?" asked the grasshopper.

Without stopping, the first ant replied, "To our ant hill. This is the third kernel I've delivered today."

"Why not come and sing with me," teased the grasshopper, "instead of working so hard?"

"We are helping to store food for the winter," said the ant, "and think you should do the same."

"Winter is far away and it is a glorious day to play," sang the grasshopper.

But the ants went on their way and continued their hard work.

The weather soon turned cold. All the food lying in the field was covered with a thick white blanket of snow that even the grasshopper could not dig through. Soon the grasshopper found itself dying of hunger.

He staggered to the ants' hill and saw them handing out corn from the stores they had collected in the summer. He begged them for something to eat.

"What!" cried the ants in surprise, "haven't you stored anything away for the winter? What in the world were you doing all last summer?"

"I didn't have time to store any food," complained the grasshopper; "I was so busy playing music that before I knew it the summer was gone."

The ants shook their heads in disgust, turned their backs on the grasshopper and went on with their work.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    there was a very long thread about something like this a couple of weeks ago. what is it about liberals that leads them to believe that preparing for future emergencies is fear and paranoia, but if it ever does come to fruition, that they simply have the right to lay siege to that very same person and take his items?
    I never said anyone had the right to do that, I said they would do it.

Geesh, no wonder you are who are, you dont listen or learn, you only belive what your preconcieved notions push you to belive.

LOCK HIM UP!

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Return of Dune View Post

Glen Beck is fear monger, he sells fear for top dollar. Anyone who listens to him regularly is subject to a constant barrage of fear. He sells nothing but fear, with the exception of loathing.

You can't stand in an airport for more than a few minutes without hearing an anouncement that the current fear (threat) level is orange.

I am half portugeese and half norwegian. My helper is half french and half lebanese. We are blacksmiths with facial hair and we dress in a grubby/manly way, kind of like bikers.
    The last time we flew into Nantucket, a terrorist alert was called and on the radio and everything. The police of course ignored my work truck, since they are well familar with it working all over town. By the time we got to the jobsite, the carpenters were all abuzz with the talk of the two "terrorists" who had just flown onto the island.

Cheney used the fear generated by the 9-11 attacks to enact the patriot act, reverse posse comitatus, invade sovereign nations, assault the middle and lower class etc.

Fear is now being used to prevent tax increases and portray all muslims in a negative light in an effort to ensure endless war.

Fear is the only tool the GOP has and they use it quite well. Look at Alias and Mr.T for examples of fear, driven my the GOP fear machine (Fox News, Limbaugh, Beck, etc.,)
    I refuse to live or act out of fear, I wish more Americans would live that way.

LOCK HIM UP!

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    Please dont be naive, the cost of food alone has doubled since Obama has been in the Whitehouse.

Inflation Calculator

I live along the East coast and we get hit with tropical storms and hurricanes all the time. we always store food, gas, batteries etc.

You won't see me standing in a line waiting for the Red Cross to hand out a cup of water and a bag of ice.

The Grasshopper and the Ants

In a field one summer's day a grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. A group of ants walked by, grunting as they struggled to carry plump kernels of corn.

"Where are you going with those heavy things?" asked the grasshopper.

Without stopping, the first ant replied, "To our ant hill. This is the third kernel I've delivered today."

"Why not come and sing with me," teased the grasshopper, "instead of working so hard?"

"We are helping to store food for the winter," said the ant, "and think you should do the same."

"Winter is far away and it is a glorious day to play," sang the grasshopper.

But the ants went on their way and continued their hard work.

The weather soon turned cold. All the food lying in the field was covered with a thick white blanket of snow that even the grasshopper could not dig through. Soon the grasshopper found itself dying of hunger.

He staggered to the ants' hill and saw them handing out corn from the stores they had collected in the summer. He begged them for something to eat.

"What!" cried the ants in surprise, "haven't you stored anything away for the winter? What in the world were you doing all last summer?"

"I didn't have time to store any food," complained the grasshopper; "I was so busy playing music that before I knew it the summer was gone."

The ants shook their heads in disgust, turned their backs on the grasshopper and went on with their work.
    I live in Florida and I store food, a couple of weeks worth. When I know a hurricane is approaching I go to the grocery store and make sure we have essentials, I fill the cars up with gas and buy some extra for my generator. I even buy bottled water and fill the tubs. Thats different that spending almost $10,000 on a years supply of pre-packeged discusting tasting food that will very likely never be used. Thats not fear, thats responsability.

LOCK HIM UP!

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Return of Dune View Post

maybe you haven't been watching the news lately. a democrat won the presidency in 2008. the democrats took over the house and senate in 2008. since that time, you're still hearing about 'orange' terror alerts. airport searches got more intense. the patriot act was renewed with stronger enforcement tools. are you getting all this yet?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

maybe you haven't been watching the news lately. a democrat won the presidency in 2008. the democrats took over the house and senate in 2008. since that time, you're still hearing about 'orange' terror alerts. airport searches got more intense. the patriot act was renewed with stronger enforcement tools. are you getting all this yet?
    Ever heard of institutionalisation?

A republican administration instituted the progams using fear.

Do you deny this fact?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Not saying Democrats are innocent, but the color coded system was done away with once President Obama took office.

LOCK HIM UP!

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I never said anyone had the right to do that, I said they would do it.

Geesh, no wonder you are who are, you dont listen or learn, you only belive what your preconcieved notions push you to belive.
    look who still has their head in the quicksand. are all you liberals that shortsighted and selfish?