Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 78% of USA workers live paycheck to paycheck

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    I spent a lot of years paycheck to paycheck. Even worse, I was self employed so you could never rely on a check coming. You got paid when the customer paid you. Sometimes they fuck you and you never see that money. sometimes a fucking judge dismisses the lien you placed against the dirtbag customer's house when the fucker declares bankruptcy and you never see a fucking dime for two weeks worth of work and you laid out
    $500 for labor and even more for materials. Ouch, that one fucking hurt. I left Oregon because of that one. What's the point of following licensing rules and all the bonding and insurance if the state allows people to rip you off? Now I'm in columbus and I don't need a license to operate, insurance is a third of the cost in Oregon, and the customers pay nearly double the price without hassles. Fuck Oregon... That's all I have to say about that.

I'm finally not so poor that I have no savings!! Flyover country FTW!
    You should have picked more reliable customers.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Except in rare cases, poor people are poor because they suck at managing money. If someone makes $15/hour but sucks at managing money, they'll suck at managing money at $20/hour.

The automatic assumption by too many is that people don't have enough. The reality is too many actually try to live beyond their means. They try to live a $1 million lifestyle on a $7.25/hour wage.
    I used to have an employee who rented everything. His house, car, his tools, uniform, telephone, washer and dryer. And his wife would not cook. They had two kids and a pile of menus from restaurants all over town. Every Friday he spent the afternoon driving round town paying bills with cash. I pay everything with a credit card and he'd ask me "how do you afford the interest?". He could not understand that the issuing bank pays me 1, 2, sometimes 4 or even 5 percent just to use it.

Another guy would run out of money on Wednesday or Thursday and go hungry until Friday afternoon when he got paid. Then he'd drink all weekend, at bars of course, and eat out every meal until he ran out of money again.

These guys and their friends were always asking to "borrow" money from me and each other. They never intended to pay any of it back.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Callinectes (01-09-2019)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,300 Times in 27,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I think I might be in that 78 percent, because I spend a crap load of money on traveling, entertainment, clothes,...and most importantly, booze! (j/k about the booze)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I used to have an employee who rented everything. His house, car, his tools, uniform, telephone, washer and dryer. And his wife would not cook. They had two kids and a pile of menus from restaurants all over town. Every Friday he spent the afternoon driving round town paying bills with cash. I pay everything with a credit card and he'd ask me "how do you afford the interest?". He could not understand that the issuing bank pays me 1, 2, sometimes 4 or even 5 percent just to use it.

Another guy would run out of money on Wednesday or Thursday and go hungry until Friday afternoon when he got paid. Then he'd drink all weekend, at bars of course, and eat out every meal until he ran out of money again.

These guys and their friends were always asking to "borrow" money from me and each other. They never intended to pay any of it back.
    People like that don't understand the concept that using a credit card and paying it off when the bill comes means you've borrowed someone else's money for free. My wife and I do that with almost everything we pay. The trick is having the money to pay the bill and that is done by managing/budgeting properly.

I had a co-worker several years ago that constantly asked others to borrow money. He asked me to borrow once. I did but with a notarized letter stating that it would be paid back by a certain date. Don't remember the amount. At the same time he was poor mouthing about not having enough money to pay his bills, he bought the latest version of the iPhone and signed up for the most expensive plan. The next time he asked to borrow money because he couldn't pay his bills, I told him to eat his phone that it would save him money.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I think I might be in that 78 percent, because I spend a crap load of money on traveling, entertainment, clothes,...and most importantly, booze! (j/k about the booze)
    Pushing the limit can have dire consequences.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

You should have picked more reliable customers.
    It's always a gamble. There's nothing I could have done differently, so not really. You're wrong. I relied on the law and it failed me. I filed a lien and a judge decided it meant nothing. So, kindly fuck off.

Liberals of Portland... What are you gonna do? I chose to go where customers are more reliable. Ohio

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    It's always a gamble. There's nothing I could have done differently, so not really. You're wrong. I relied on the law and it failed me. I filed a lien and a judge decided it meant nothing. So, kindly fuck off.

Liberals of Portland... What are you gonna do? I chose to go where customers are more reliable. Ohio
    Not at all. Had customers for years. Not once has anything remotely close to your bad management ever happened.

I wish more had taken advantage of you. You don't sound like you know how to manage a business.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Everyone should have six months of expenses in a rainy day fund. It isn’t hard. It is all about spending priorities.

Cue the violins

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    It is not important what people make, it is important what they save.
    And what they spend.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    Everyone should have six months of expenses in a rainy day fund. It isn’t hard. It is all about spending priorities.

Cue the violins
    It's called managing money.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

Holy shit! 78%? How long has this been going on!!! Now, there has GOT to be some of them there "highly educated" demorats in that mix, right?
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

so sad. this is why we need to get rid of illegals. They drive down wages for everyone. Thank you for your concern sister evince.

Thoughts and prayers.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post

Are you sure this isn't a bio of YOUR life?

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Are you sure this isn't a bio of YOUR life?
    From the way you've explained about your poor choices, it sounds like yours.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

From the way you've explained about your poor choices, it sounds like yours.
    I built my own house, so didn't have a Mortgage.