Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: US comes in last in health care rankings

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,030 Times in 12,560 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

More than likely this group starts with the result, and then backfill data to justify it.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,940 Times in 13,201 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Why do you think it's expensive?
    Mostly because of health insurance. If that weren't how we paid for routine care, the cost of the system would plummet dramatically. As a proof of that, the one sector of the health care industry that hasn't seen prices rise dramatically, and has even seen them fall in some cases is the only one rarely covered by insurance: Cosmetic and related elective surgery.
    Insurance used for routine care is the primary cause of health care being expensive.

As for socialized care, the US military does that. It is a ponderous, inefficient system. Many of the practitioners are of dubious quality. It's very much hit and miss. You wait interminable lengths to be seen for everything. The VA system is similar. It can be good but often is plodding and terrible.

Britain's NHS is the same way. You might luck out and get good care, but you might also get really crappy care.

Mexico's nationalized healthcare isn't all that good, but it is corrupt so you get way better service and move to the front of the line if you slap a $50 or $100 bill down on the admitting station counter. Then you get the best that location has to offer.
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 08-05-2021 at 02:35 PM.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 10,039 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I have absolutely no complaints about Medicare, but fortunately, I’m healthy.
    My grandparents were on Medicare for 30 years until they died in their mid-90's and had no problems at all.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-05-2021)

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,787 Times in 33,645 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

My grandparents were on Medicare for 30 years until they died in their mid-90's and had no problems at all.
    My folks as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

LV426 (08-05-2021)

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Mostly because of health insurance.
    Right...insurance companies looking to make a profit.

And how do they do that? Simple; they collude with your provider to set rates of reimbursement where they both benefit financially at your expense...and you're not even represented in that collusion.

This remains the best explanation I've ever seen/heard about chargemasters and why they are the worst:

Last edited by LV426; 08-05-2021 at 03:02 PM.

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,571 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Mostly because of health insurance. If that weren't how we paid for routine care, the cost of the system would plummet dramatically. As a proof of that, the one sector of the health care industry that hasn't seen prices rise dramatically, and has even seen them fall in some cases is the only one rarely covered by insurance: Cosmetic and related elective surgery.
    Insurance used for routine care is the primary cause of health care being expensive.

As for socialized care, the US military does that. It is a ponderous, inefficient system. Many of the practitioners are of dubious quality. It's very much hit and miss. You wait interminable lengths to be seen for everything. The VA system is similar. It can be good but often is plodding and terrible.

Britain's NHS is the same way. You might luck out and get good care, but you might also get really crappy care.

Mexico's nationalized healthcare isn't all that good, but it is corrupt so you get way better service and move to the front of the line if you slap a $50 or $100 bill down on the admitting station counter. Then you get the best that location has to offer.
    Ask a vet what they think of their medical treatment? Everyone I know who has access to Medicare and other insurance uses the VA.

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So...when polled, those with veterans/military government plans reported the highest patient satisfaction rating for any insurance plan, followed by Medicare, followed by Medicaid, followed by union coverage, THEN followed by private insurance.

Americans With Government Health Plans Most Satisfied
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/186527/...satisfied.aspx

There will always be anecdotes, but anecdotes are not really helpful here because they are narrow and are filtered through a prism of bias.

What we know, based on the responses of those polled, is that all government health plans are BETTER than private ones, and leave the patient more satisfied.

And isn't that all that really matters? Whether or not you as a patient are satisfied with your care?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-05-2021)

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Ask a vet what they think of their medical treatment? Everyone I know who has access to Medicare and other insurance uses the VA.
    My hubby’s VA care here in Houston is top notch. He’s a Purple Heart so his care is 100% coverage. He uses his Medicare for emergencies since the VA facility is 40 minutes away.

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Medicare isn't socialized medicine. It is health insurance run by the government rather than a private provider.

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My hubby’s VA care here in Houston is top notch. He’s a Purple Heart so his care is 100% coverage. He uses his Medicare for emergencies since the VA facility is 40 minutes away.
    Move to Phoenix. The VA here is one of the worst in the nation. Tucson's VA hospital is much better. Very much a hit and miss system. Also, if you don't live near a VA hospital your travel length could be substantial.

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Medicare isn't socialized medicine. It is health insurance run by the government rather than a private provider.
    How is Medicare funded? It's Pay-go, right? So, who is paying?

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,774 Times in 7,275 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,061 Times in 1,006 Posts

Socialized medicine is the stand for the entire civilized world.

We will never be considered part of the civilized world until we have socialized medicine for everybody.

It's mind-boggling to see conservatives revel in our social regressiveness, going so far as to call it "American Exceptionalism."
    Being exceptionally deficient wouldn't seem like a thing to celebrate.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,774 Times in 7,275 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,061 Times in 1,006 Posts

Socialized medicine is the standard for the entire civilized world.

We will never be considered part of the civilized world until we have socialized medicine for everybody.

It's mind-boggling to see conservatives revel in our social regressiveness, going so far as to call it "American Exceptionalism."
    Being exceptionally deficient wouldn't seem like a thing to celebrate.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Move to Phoenix. The VA here is one of the worst in the nation. Tucson's VA hospital is much better. Very much a hit and miss system. Also, if you don't live near a VA hospital your travel length could be substantial.
    I thought Trump changed that, something I give him credit for doing.

18. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I thought Trump changed that, something I give him credit for doing.
    There was a big scandal a few years back and not just Phoenix, but Phoenix was the epicenter. It hasn't gotten much better since, bureaucratic inertia being what it is. I don't have to use the VA however as I am covered by Tricare which is the military version of FEHB.