Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What, in your opinion, made them so angry about Simone Biles?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    People get super invested in both sports teams, and individual athletes. It's the same with popular movie stars, or musicians. If that person doesn't live up to their expectations, they feel somehow personally cheated. It's as if they believe if they invest their emotions and loyalty to this person/team, they BETTER live up to it or else.
    And that puts tremendous pressure on the sports person/celebrity. It isn’t fair. I’m happy this young lady seems ok with everything and returned to compete last night. She has said she wouldn’t change a thing about these Olympics….and I greatly respect that. Her diminishing led to another teammate rising…and I believe Ms. Biles is genuinely happy for Ms. Lee.

We’ve seen people “fight through” pain and accomplish great things in gymnastics … Mary Lou Retton in ‘84 and Suggs in ‘96 … but that was pain. This was losing a sense of where the ground was. This was taking a great risk of possible life threatening injury. This gal has been amazing. I wish her nothing but the best.

I will add — Nordberg and Concart’s comments on this thread are a lot of what is wrong with so much of the conversation about this and other things in this country.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

AProudLefty (08-04-2021), ThatOwlWoman (08-04-2021), TOP (08-04-2021)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,549 Times in 52,759 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    And that puts tremendous pressure on the sports person/celebrity. It isn’t fair. I’m happy this young lady seems ok with everything and returned to compete last night. She has said she wouldn’t change a thing about these Olympics….and I greatly respect that. Her diminishing led to another teammate rising…and I believe Ms. Biles is genuinely happy for Ms. Lee.

We’ve seen people “fight through” pain and accomplish great things in gymnastics … Mary Lou Retton in ‘84 and Suggs in ‘96 … but that was pain. This was losing a sense of where the ground was. This was taking a great risk of possible life threatening injury. This gal has been amazing. I wish her nothing but the best.

I will add — Nordberg and Concart’s comments on this thread are a lot of what is wrong with so much of the conversation about this and other things in this country.
    Biles is one class act. We were watching an interview with her last night and were struck by her maturity and poise. Her parents must be so proud.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (08-04-2021), leaningright (08-04-2021)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,424 Times in 16,412 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    I just don't get it. She is returning to compete tonight between 8 and 10. Ima gonna watch.

Can you guys explain to me?
    Very few are "angry"...did you watch?

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    She lost her ability to judge where she was in relation to the ground. That is very dangerous, It is a malady that hits gymnasts. She was going to win a pole of golds until that happened.
    That is correct....

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Columbus is very, very, very proud of her...as are most Americans....

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,030 Times in 12,560 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Columbus is very, very, very proud of her...as are most Americans....
    That is the opinion of the Mind Molders, but as to what the American people at large think IDK, and dont know how I would find out now that the polling industry has squandered their credibility.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    That is the opinion of the Mind Molders, but as to what the American people at large think IDK, and dont know how I would find out now that the polling industry has squandered their credibility.
    I don't think America is "angry" at her...disappointed for her, perhaps, but very understanding...Sports at this level is difficult to comprehend...unless you're an athlete or coach, very honestly...
    Best to focus at this point on the success stories from the US competitions...there are many!!
    So many!! Including gymnastics!! Including Simone!

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't think America is "angry" at her...disappointed for her, perhaps, but very understanding...Sports at this level is difficult to comprehend...unless you're an athlete or coach, very honestly...
    Best to focus at this point on the success stories from the US competitions...there are many!!
    So many!! Including gymnastics!! Including Simone!
    The polling industry is broken, the Tech Overlords have ruined social media...so many Americans are now afraid and unwilling to say what they think because they know that if they dont follow the opinions of power they will be hammered...I just dont know what people think here.

I know what power tells us we should think.

She is a hero they claim.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    The polling industry is broken, the Tech Overlords have ruined social media...so many Americans are now afraid and unwilling to say what they think because they know that if they dont follow the opinions of power they will be hammered...I just dont know what people think here.

I know what power tells us we should think.

She is a hero they claim.
    She is a hero...."polls" don't matter in these kinds of situations....She did what she had to do to avoid serious injury... She was still there every moment as best she could for her team and for America....
    A few others on Team USA, not so much....but the majority of Team USA understands the responsibility of accepting a position on the team....and they're representing us wonderfully....Those are the ones to embrace....Ladies volleyball is on now....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Post:

AProudLefty (08-04-2021), leaningright (08-04-2021)

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,762 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

She is a hero...."polls" don't matter in these kinds of situations....She did what she had to do to avoid serious injury... She was still there every moment as best she could for her team and for America....
    A few others on Team USA, not so much....but the majority of Team USA understands the responsibility of accepting a position on the team....and they're representing us wonderfully....Those are the ones to embrace....Ladies volleyball is on now....
    I love ladies vollyball, swimming, pool soccer and sychro swimming. Their bodies are so fit and boy those asses.

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My opinion is different of course as I have put it in this thread, but I respect yours.

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I love ladies vollyball, swimming, pool soccer and sychro swimming. Their bodies are so fit and boy those asses.
    Do you mean water polo? Synchro is so difficult....we have amazing programs/success here... just saying....
    Swimming is just ridiculously fast these days....Did you watch the Olympic races?

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Do you mean water polo? Synchro is so difficult....we have amazing programs/success here... just saying....
    Swimming is just ridiculously fast these days....Did you watch the Olympic races?
    I watched where that lady did a back flip over the water in a sychro swimming competition. I was like WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? That isn't even possible.

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I watched where that lady did a back flip over the water in a sychro swimming competition. I was like WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? That isn't even possible.
    Amazing stuff/unending hours of training...watch some videos of OSU National champs teams sometime....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

AProudLefty (08-04-2021)

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Amazing stuff/unending hour of training...watch some videos of OSU National champs teams sometime....
    I enjoying those games. I am always amazed at them performing the impossible feats.