Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Republicans are increasingly ready for violence: We look away at our peril

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    IMHO the threat is not violence. The threat is the GOPs ability to use the system to grab power. There will be violence. I don't think anything can stop that. But these folks aren't very bright. And they are being watched. They could not possibly organize a large scale attack successfully. They lack command and control, and the worst of them are going to prison already. Just my take. Yes, the military and the cops are full of nut cases. But I think they are pretty feckless. These new voter suppression laws are far more dangerous, and Democrats have it completely in their power to stop that. They had damn well better.
    unless Biden/Manchin/Sienna can achieve a filibuster 'carve out' to get the For The People Act passed, which is looking less and less likely given we're almost out of time, the GQP will definitely recapture the House and control of the Senate, guaranteed.....rigged election

and if that happens it just a matter of time until autocracy arrives in 2024 with DJT or one of his clones like DeSantis, violent takeover or not. I'm hoping the left wing will soon start taking all this much more seriously...it really does look like Biden and Garland aren't doing that, figuring total, permanent control by fascists just couldn't happen....hope I'm wrong on that one

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    unless Biden/Manchin/Sienna can achieve a filibuster 'carve out' to get the For The People Act passed, which is looking less and less likely given we're almost out of time, the GQP will definitely recapture the House and control of the Senate, guaranteed.....rigged election

and if that happens it just a matter of time until autocracy arrives in 2024 with DJT or one of his clones like DeSantis, violent takeover or not. I'm hoping the left wing will soon start taking all this much more seriously...it really does look like Biden and Garland aren't doing that, figuring total, permanent control by fascists just couldn't happen....hope I'm wrong on that one
    I am glass half full. I think what you are seeing right now is a well choreographed political play. Manchin is getting the cover he needs to do just that. Manchin and Sinema both know this is moral imperative. They will make their case, and take their stand, and ultimately, when the Manchin compromise Voting Bill is shot down, he will announce he has no choice but vote for a carveout. If viewed in that light, everything that's happening makes sense. Republicans are being forced to make unpleasant choices because their hand is being forced. The infrastructure bill, and the impending reconciliation bill are a master class in the art of the possible. The GOP doesn't want to vote for the bipartisan infrastructure bill. But they HAVE to. They do that, they show their adamant opposition to the reconciliation bill, and they have something they can sell to constituents. A vote against the bipartisan infrastructure bill is political suicide. Biden boxed them in. And it will happen again on Voting Rights.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

A thermonuclear first strike is therefore fully justified according to the laws of war, the Hague, the customary rules and conventions and stuff and so forth.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    A thermonuclear first strike is therefore fully justified according to the laws of war, the Hague, the customary rules and conventions and stuff and so forth.
    where would you strike first?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Less than a year after a pro-Trump mob stormed the US Capitol, nearly half of Republican voters (47%) say that "a time will come when patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands," per a new nationwide survey by George Washington University's School of Media and Public Affairs.

Only about 29% of Americans agreed with this statement on some level, the poll found, including just 9% of Democrats. And 49% said they disagree or strongly disagree.

The poll also found that a majority of Republicans (55%) say "the traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast we may have to use force to save it." About 15% of Democrats agreed with this statement, but more Americans disagreed (46%) than agreed (34%).

More Republicans (27%) than Democrats (18%) said that "strong leaders sometimes have to bend the rules in order to get things done."

These findings about Republicans and political violence are consistent with the warnings of many leading mental health experts, who have said since Donald Trump first emerged as a presidential candidate that he and his movement represent a dire threat to American democracy. This is true both because of Trump's obvious mental pathologies — in this case the repeated encouragement of violence — and because of his proven ability to sway members of the public to share his worldview.

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/03/rep...-at-our-peril/

not looking good........and not kidding, the day after DJT was 'elected' I went straight to a local Big 5 sporting goods store and bought a Ranch Rifle and a handgun

...hoping I'm not alone here, suggest all citizens be prepared for the insurgents going forward
    rag snot you my not have noticed but the majority of violence in the us is from liberals

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

-The situation is being over dramatized.

-This sounds like the work of Putin, wanting to cause unrest in American society.

-The OP article is sensationalized.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-03-2021)

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 Times in 3,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    They won’t get anywhere by attacking Joe smoes like us

They will have to attack police and military

Either way they will very quickly get dead

The strange fantasy life you guys mentally jerk off to is worrisome, or would be if there were a lot more of you. Thankfully, the vast majority of your fellow citizens have their feet on the ground.
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    I am glass half full. I think what you are seeing right now is a well choreographed political play. Manchin is getting the cover he needs to do just that. Manchin and Sinema both know this is moral imperative. They will make their case, and take their stand, and ultimately, when the Manchin compromise Voting Bill is shot down, he will announce he has no choice but vote for a carveout. If viewed in that light, everything that's happening makes sense. Republicans are being forced to make unpleasant choices because their hand is being forced. The infrastructure bill, and the impending reconciliation bill are a master class in the art of the possible. The GOP doesn't want to vote for the bipartisan infrastructure bill. But they HAVE to. They do that, they show their adamant opposition to the reconciliation bill, and they have something they can sell to constituents. A vote against the bipartisan infrastructure bill is political suicide. Biden boxed them in. And it will happen again on Voting Rights.
    your glass is definitely half full, may your sentiments prevail

the only positive I can think of in this situation is Biden's relative silence, other than occasionally bashing the GQP's attempt at election rigging in various states, and said Garland's DOJ will take some kind of action, but from I've read the AG doesn't have much power except to sue the states, so then the 6-3 SCOTUS would make the call. win or lose, you know the GQP will immediately challenge every election loss in court, fire up the MAGA's with even more with voter fraud allegations, rinse and repeat. otoh if he's working HARD behind the scenes to do the carveout and HR1 and SR1 are enacted into law there's a much better chance

they will never give up, bank on that. once this genie leaves the bottle it doesn't go back in, it must be eradicated completely....escalating violence by right wing extremists never ends well, just saying I hope the left isn't unprepared for the inevitable

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,763 Times in 27,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,589 Times in 18,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    The strange fantasy life you guys mentally jerk off to is worrisome, or would be if there were a lot more of you. Thankfully, the vast majority of your fellow citizens have their feet on the ground.
    The republicans who want to kill democracy are primarily racists

If they start their little race war the military and police will blow holes in their empty heads

Fact

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I've noticed the northern states are becoming bases for white supremacist militias..........here's guy who had to flee Vermont after being intimidated by hordes of right wing gun nuts

The assault-weaponed bullies are winning on my road, and I refuse to weaponize myself to fight back. My town is unsafe if you're non-white or unarmed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...nt/5402817001/

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I've noticed the northern states are becoming bases for white supremacist militias..........here's guy who had to flee Vermont after being intimidated by hordes of right wing gun nuts

The assault-weaponed bullies are winning on my road, and I refuse to weaponize myself to fight back. My town is unsafe if you're non-white or unarmed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...nt/5402817001/

They go rural because they can’t survive in populated areas

You can bet the FBI KNOWS ALL THEIR NAMES NOW

One good thing the 6th gave us

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,364 Times in 6,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

Less than a year after a pro-Trump mob stormed the US Capitol, nearly half of Republican voters (47%) say that "a time will come when patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands," per a new nationwide survey by George Washington University's School of Media and Public Affairs.

Only about 29% of Americans agreed with this statement on some level, the poll found, including just 9% of Democrats. And 49% said they disagree or strongly disagree.

The poll also found that a majority of Republicans (55%) say "the traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast we may have to use force to save it." About 15% of Democrats agreed with this statement, but more Americans disagreed (46%) than agreed (34%).

More Republicans (27%) than Democrats (18%) said that "strong leaders sometimes have to bend the rules in order to get things done."

These findings about Republicans and political violence are consistent with the warnings of many leading mental health experts, who have said since Donald Trump first emerged as a presidential candidate that he and his movement represent a dire threat to American democracy. This is true both because of Trump's obvious mental pathologies — in this case the repeated encouragement of violence — and because of his proven ability to sway members of the public to share his worldview.

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/03/rep...-at-our-peril/

not looking good........and not kidding, the day after DJT was 'elected' I went straight to a local Big 5 sporting goods store and bought a Ranch Rifle and a handgun

...hoping I'm not alone here, suggest all citizens be prepared for the insurgents going forward
    No problem. I'm not concerned with them. The FBI, DHS and ATF have them in their cross-hairs. If they do anything, it'll get quashed immediately.
    We'll be ready for them this time. They're just a bunch of half-witted soldier-boy wannabes. I hope they do plan something and act out.
    It'll be fun to watch them get rubber-bulleted, handcuffed, rounded-up and thrown in jail.
    I'm bringing popcorn. Can't wait.
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

The poll also found that a majority of Republicans (55%) say "the traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast we may have to use force to save it."
    The traditional way of American life as they perceive it is something that only Middle America wants.
    Let them have it as their own country.

Boston doesn't give a fat fuck about what Joe Six Pack wants or about his "American Gothic" values.
    We don't care about him, his overweight bottle blonde wife, or his undereducated kids.
    Kansas and Oklahoma are not going to impose their way of life on us.
    Or on Manhattan, either.

What is the problem with breaking this crumbling country up into smaller, functional ones?
    What don't the "uniters" understand?

WE DON"T LIKE EACH OTHER.
    WE DON"T WANT TO LIVE THE SAME WAY.
    WHY DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOUR IDIOT MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHERS TAUGHT YOU ABOUT AMERICA WHEN YOUR OWN FUCKING EYES TELL YOU THAT NONE OF IT IS TRUE?

This is all so infuriating.

50 state America is a colossal failure.
    It's a tinderbox ready to blow.
    Own up to it and do something intelligent about it.

Mother of Fucking Christ.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    rag snot you my not have noticed but the majority of violence in the us is from liberals
    You racists tried to do a coup idiot