Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Crocodile Hunter....

Stever Erwin has died...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5311982.stm

With his trademark khaki shorts, chirpy manner and an obvious love of wildlife, Steve Irwin was known to television viewers around the world simply as "the crocodile hunter".
    But Steve Irwin's popular image, wrestling crocs and other creatures, belied the fact that he was implacably opposed to the hunting, not just of crocodiles, but of any animal.

A natural showman as well as a conservationist and zoo owner, Irwin was committed to educating people about wildlife.

more at link...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

He was always a bit of a mentalist, but in a good way.

I think that most people had, at the back of their mind, that he'd end up being eaten by a crocodile or bitten by an irate snake. I don't know what the odds are of being speared by a stingray are but its got to be a hell of a long shot.

You don't see many people with that much enthusiasm for what they do and anyone who makes it onto South Park must be "any good".

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a damned shame: he was a great man in his way.

In a few days I'll be making jokes about how now Terri Irwin's (*ahem*) available and how that can't be a bad thing. Today, though, that's just too tacky even for me.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Talk about your sad news. I heard this at work this morning and could not believe it! After all the dangerous things he has done,it didn't seem he would ever get hurt. Seems kind of unreal.

RIP Steve.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

His death is sad, but to me only in thae same way hundreds of accidental deaths are each day. Ath least his family are fixed well finiancially unlike many of the others that die daily.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    His death is sad, but to me only in thae same way hundreds of accidental deaths are each day. Ath least his family are fixed well finiancially unlike many of the others that die daily.
    The last recorded death by a stingray in Australia was 1945. It is ironic that he was done in by one of the most peaceful animals in the ocean...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course it was ironic and unexpected Damo.
    In other Irony the copilot of the airplane crash in Lexington KY, is the only survivor and should have been one of the ones to catch the error of taking off on the wrong runway. Bty there have been about 10 or so people killed in small plane crashes in KY since the Comair crash, but I think none of them got national attention....

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I never have any idea which ones get national attention... We have had a few in CO, one of them landed in one of my "nieghbor's" fields.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was so sad to hear of this. Steve's ebullient enthusiasm was contagious, and I think that he brought this to people in such a way that many who otherwise wouldn't have cared about animals gained a new appreciation for them. What a loss to us all.

Damo, I found this bit about sting rays; they're a creature about which most of us know very little.

STINGRAY FACTS
    Marine fish related to the shark
    Wingspan in different species ranges from 10 inches to 7 feet
    Barb can be up to 12 inches
    Lie buried in sand, and normally very shy and non-aggressive
    Eat worms, mollusks and other invertebrates
    Possess flexible tails armed, in most species, with saw-edged, venomous spines
    Uses barb in self-defense when startled, threatened or cornered; venom causes excruciating pain, and serrated barb damages tissue when pulled out; large rays can exert enough force to drive their tail spines into a wooden boat
    Most stings occur in shallow, coastal waters when swimmers step on a stingray
    Fatal stings extremely rare, with only 17 recorded stingray deaths in Australia since 1969

If stingrays are near:
    Shuffle feet in sand to scare stingrays away
    If stung, soak affected area in extremely hot water to destroy venom
    Seek medical attention immediately

Sources: Encyclopedia Britannica, Georgia Aquarium, infoplease.com, Surf Life Saving Queensland

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah, if you get shot right in the heart with one, however, it's not so great.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I remember once 5 different stingrays came up to me on the beach whenever I was a child. Everyone was staring at me and speechless. I didn't know what was going on. They made a circle around me, sort of, but just glided on by.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    I remember once 5 different stingrays came up to me on the beach whenever I was a child. Everyone was staring at me and speechless. I didn't know what was going on. They made a circle around me, sort of, but just glided on by.
    Behold...a confession.

True diabolism from the mouth, or rather the nimble fingers, of Satan's little wizard himself.

BURN THE WITCH. BURN HIM, I SAY!

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He turned me into a newt!
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

With that avatar, Damo, i have my own suspicions that you too are similar in weight to a duck.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charver View Post
    With that avatar, Damo, i have my own suspicions that you too are similar in weight to a duck.
    Fair lot that!
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle