Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee school board votes unanimously to ban book about the Holocaust

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,547 Times in 14,030 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Tennessee school board votes unanimously to ban book about the Holocaust

A Tennessee school board voted unanimously to ban the Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel "Maus," which details the horrors of the Holocaust.

On Jan. 10, the McMinn County School Board voted 10-0 to remove the graphic novel from an eighth-grade language arts curriculum, citing foul language, nudity and copyright issues.

"I consulted with our attorney, Mr. Scott Bennett. After consulting with him, we decided the best way to fix or handle the language in this book was to redact it," Director of School Lee Parkison said at the beginning of the Jan. 10 meeting, according to a meeting transcript. "Considering copyright, we decided to redact it to get rid of the eight curse words and the picture of the woman that was objected to."

"Maus" is a graphic memoir, meaning it's based on a true story and the experiences of the author’s Jewish family during the Holocaust.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...ust/ar-AATdsH2

Yea cannot have any real history taught to the pure white christian children

Do they want a white washed version of the Shoa ?
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-27-2022), christiefan915 (01-28-2022), signalmankenneth (01-28-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

“It shows people hanging, it shows them killing kids," he added, describing the depictions in "Maus" of true historical events. "Why does the educational system promote this kind of stuff? It is not wise or healthy."

No goyim the Shoa was not healthy
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,762 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-27-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Kreizman, also the host of the literary podcast The Maris Review, says banning books and lessons that make people "uncomfortable" has become a disturbing trend.

“There’s been so much hand wringing about cancel culture from the right, but the banning of books from public places like schools and libraries is as 'cancel culture' as it gets,” Kreizman says. “This is fascism.”

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's a very disturbing tread indeed.

1. CRT
    2. Holocaust
    3. LGBT
    4. Christian right
    5. Immigrants

You may add more to the list.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-27-2022)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 890 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    A Tennessee school board voted unanimously to ban the Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel "Maus," which details the horrors of the Holocaust.

On Jan. 10, the McMinn County School Board voted 10-0 to remove the graphic novel from an eighth-grade language arts curriculum, citing foul language, nudity and copyright issues.

"I consulted with our attorney, Mr. Scott Bennett. After consulting with him, we decided the best way to fix or handle the language in this book was to redact it," Director of School Lee Parkison said at the beginning of the Jan. 10 meeting, according to a meeting transcript. "Considering copyright, we decided to redact it to get rid of the eight curse words and the picture of the woman that was objected to."

"Maus" is a graphic memoir, meaning it's based on a true story and the experiences of the author’s Jewish family during the Holocaust.

From the OP article:

'"Parkison said two or three board members came by his office to discuss the book and its rough, objectionable language." One board member, Tony Allman, said in the meeting that educators "don't need to enable or somewhat promote this stuff," according to the transcript, and cited the book's author's past history of creating graphics for "Playboy."

“It shows people hanging, it shows them killing kids," he added, describing the depictions in "Maus" of true historical events. "Why does the educational system promote this kind of stuff? It is not wise or healthy."'

This is NOTHING to do with religion.
    And EVERYTHING to do with 'objectionable language'.
    I don't agree with banning ANY book...but whatever.

You are clearly trying to make this religious (because you are Jewish)...when it CLEARLY is not.

Lighten up.
    Last edited by McRocket; 01-27-2022 at 07:00 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McRocket For This Post:

Matt Dillon (01-27-2022), TOP (01-28-2022)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post

I saw this on the 'ReidOut' with Joy Reid. She said it made 'White People' feel uncomfortable.

Question: Do the Negro Schools that Joy must have attended teach that it was the Americans that fought the Nazis and Liberated the Concentration Camps?

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    From the OP article:

'"Parkison said two or three board members came by his office to discuss the book and its rough, objectionable language." One board member, Tony Allman, said in the meeting that educators "don't need to enable or somewhat promote this stuff," according to the transcript, and cited the book's author's past history of creating graphics for "Playboy."

“It shows people hanging, it shows them killing kids," he added, describing the depictions in "Maus" of true historical events. "Why does the educational system promote this kind of stuff? It is not wise or healthy."'

You are clearly trying to make this religious (because you are Jewish)...when it CLEARLY is not.

Lighten up.
    I remember when they showed a film of them pushing the naked dead bodies with a bulldozer.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    From the OP article:

Lighten up.

Stay calm...like I heard Jesus did before he was killed.

Ohhhh...bad example.

Sorry.

The way Joy Reid attempted to portray it, it was the 'White People' ... and it made Americans feel 'uncomfortable'. Implying 'the Nazis' were 'White People' and so were 'Americans'. Hence, 'White Americans' should feel guilty over this. Apparently, not really having a firm grasp of History.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    I remember when they showed a film of them pushing the naked dead bodies with a bulldozer.
    Did you feel 'guilty'?

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Did you feel 'guilty'?
    Nope. Not at all. I did feel disgust though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Darla (01-27-2022)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nope. Not at all. I did feel disgust though.
    Yeah. Most feel the same way. Somehow, Joy made the comment 'White People' and 'feeling uncomfortable'.

Am I out of the Loop here? Are the 'White People' now the group to Hate? I know that is Guno's contribution here, but Joy? A TV anchor person?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-27-2022)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah. Most feel the same way. Somehow, Joy made the comment 'White People' and 'feeling uncomfortable'.

Am I out of the Loop here? Are the 'White People' now the group to Hate? I know that is Guno's contribution here, but Joy? A TV anchor person?
    I don't care about Guano but why is Tenn wanting to ban that comic book?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Jack (01-27-2022)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't care about Guano but why is Tenn wanting to ban that comic book?

I'm not there. You tell me. Maybe it's the Naked Lady (think of the children APL), or maybe it's the 'curse words', or maybe it's the Administration that thinks the whole 'Holocaust thingy' is overblown?

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not there. You tell me. Maybe it's the Naked Lady (think of the children APL), or maybe it's the 'curse words', or maybe it's the Administration that thinks the whole 'Holocaust thingy' is overblown?
    Maybe. Let the author speak for himself.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/0...p-news-videos/