View Poll Results: Are you a good person?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am a great person

3 33.33%
  • No, I am a pitiful wretch

1 11.11%
  • I have no opinion...

5 55.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a good person?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Are you a good person?

I consider myself a wretched, sinful man.

Isaiah 64:6 says, But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Some of the "best people" will not inherit the Kingdom of God. Why? Because they believe their deeds will save them. It is tragic, but true. Do you think you are a good person?

Think of it from God's perspective. In every act of sin, we are kicking the Law of God aside as filth, and trampling it under foot. We are removing the God of Glory from the throne, and placing ourselves on the throne. Sin is rebellion.

Romans 3:23
    For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God

Looking at it from that perspective, do you still consider yourself a good person?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Since I do not believe in God eternal life, etc I am too good of a person to vote on the poll. I am honest and it is not relevant to me.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If all men are bad then judging them this way is useless and is thus an empty exercise. However we judge men by how good they are vs. others. None are flawless but we judge based on the conglomerated traits of a man.

4. #4 | Top
    Cancel5 Guest

I can be good when I want to, but I can also be very bad.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

this is just a copout thread....reminds me of the Bush administration and their excuses....while never taking responsibility for what they have done wrong and is the movement of the devil....Augustine, (Brent).

you have freewill to do good or to do bad....use it to do good and follow the Lord within you as Christ asked of you.

yes, we all fall short of the Glory of God....but of course we would...we are not God and we have freewill to do such... that does not mean that if you have accepted Christ that this gives you a free ride to Heaven...and the freeness to be a bad, evil person.... whenever you please.

Remember, Christ asked the adulteress, to sin no more...why would he do that if He thought that she was wretched and unable to accomplish this feat?

Care

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    I can be good when I want to, but I can also be very bad.
    . . . and when she was bad, she was even better.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Whenever I have to pick between two evils, I always like to choose the one I haven't tried yet.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

According to your religious texts, nobody is 'good', we are all sinners. 'Good' is unattainable, so what is the point in pursuing it?

In reality, however, good is a subjective description of an act, thought or speech in which the definition of good is defined by the person acting as judge.
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Whether or not you're a good person is defined by GOD and that's that, folks!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Whether or not you're a good person is defined by GOD and that's that, folks!
    I have had at least 2 preachers tell me I am a good person, but it won't keep me out of hell. different issues....
    Had lunch with the local preacher just last Monday and he told me that.

there are even scriptures to that effect. You can be a good person and not believe in god.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Care4all View Post
    this is just a copout thread....reminds me of the Bush administration and their excuses....while never taking responsibility for what they have done wrong and is the movement of the devil....Augustine, (Brent).

you have freewill to do good or to do bad....use it to do good and follow the Lord within you as Christ asked of you.

yes, we all fall short of the Glory of God....but of course we would...we are not God and we have freewill to do such... that does not mean that if you have accepted Christ that this gives you a free ride to Heaven...and the freeness to be a bad, evil person.... whenever you please.

Remember, Christ asked the adulteress, to sin no more...why would he do that if He thought that she was wretched and unable to accomplish this feat?

Care
    Care4all, leave it to you to derail this thread into politics.

Let's study the Bible together, shall we?

Romans 3:10-11 says, As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: there is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. It says, "NO, NOT ONE." (Emphasis added) You are no exception. Sorry.

Isaiah 64:6 says our 'righteousness' is as filthy rags.

Matthew 15:18-20 says, But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Nobody, including you, can please God according to an inherent goodness (there is no such thing). Only according to the Grace of God are we able to please Him. As Hebrews 11:6 says, without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

And that is according to the merits of Christ's sinless life, and His salvation work at Calvary. Without Christ as our intercessor we are wretched, pitiful creatures groveling in darkness, unable to come to knowledge of the truth.

You ought to thank God that He has shown mercy to us. Salvation is not a birth right; God gives it freely to whom He desires. Ephesians 1:3-6 says, Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. Romans 9:18 says, he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

It seems there is no way to be on your good side, Care4all. When I talk about repentance, you accuse me of being judgmental; and when I express sorrow at my own depravity, and the depravity of mankind, you imply that I am living in sin, taking Grace in vain. What's up with that?

I never said we are not responsible for our wickedness. God is a just God, and people shall be judged in a just manner. That is why there is a Hell and a Lake of Fire. Apparently, you think you are beyond this; that you are inherently good, and able to choose good freely. Tell me, did you vote in the poll?

Respectfully,
    Brent

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    I have had at least 2 preachers tell me I am a good person, but it won't keep me out of hell. different issues....
    Had lunch with the local preacher just last Monday and he told me that.

there are even scriptures to that effect. You can be a good person and not believe in god.
    IMPOSSIBLE!!

Inform me of a man who has performed this feat. Let me see, we have STALIN AND HITLER on your side and freakin' JESUS on mine!
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Augustine View Post
    Care4all, leave it to you to derail this thread into politics.

Let's study the Bible together, shall we?

Romans 3:10-11 says, As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: there is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. It says, "NO, NOT ONE." (Emphasis added) You are no exception. Sorry.

Isaiah 64:6 says our 'righteousness' is as filthy rags.

Matthew 15:18-20 says, But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Nobody, including you, can please God according to an inherent goodness (there is no such thing). Only according to the Grace of God are we able to please Him. As Hebrews 11:6 says, without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

And that is according to the merits of Christ's sinless life, and His salvation work at Calvary. Without Christ as our intercessor we are wretched, pitiful creatures groveling in darkness, unable to come to knowledge of the truth.

You ought to thank God that He has shown mercy to us. Salvation is not a birth right; God gives it freely to whom He desires. Ephesians 1:3-6 says, Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. Romans 9:18 says, he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

It seems there is no way to be on your good side, Care4all. When I talk about repentance, you accuse me of being judgmental; and when I express sorrow at my own depravity, and the depravity of mankind, you imply that I am living in sin, taking Grace in vain. What's up with that?

I never said we are not responsible for our wickedness. God is a just God, and people shall be judged in a just manner. That is why there is a Hell and a Lake of Fire. Apparently, you think you are beyond this; that you are inherently good, and able to choose good freely. Tell me, did you vote in the poll?

Respectfully,
    Brent
    Brent,

read Roman's 3 IN FULL.....

Romans 3
    God's Faithfulness
    1What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? 2Much in every way! First of all, they have been entrusted with the very words of God.
    3What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? 4Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written:
    "So that you may be proved right when you speak
    and prevail when you judge."[a]

5But if our unrighteousness brings out God's righteousness more clearly, what shall we say? That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? (I am using a human argument.) 6Certainly not! If that were so, how could God judge the world? 7Someone might argue, "If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?" 8Why not say—as we are being slanderously reported as saying and as some claim that we say—"Let us do evil that good may result"? Their condemnation is deserved.

No One is Righteous
    9What shall we conclude then? Are we any better[b]? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin. 10As it is written:
    "There is no one righteous, not even one;
    11there is no one who understands,
    no one who seeks God.
    12All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
    there is no one who does good,
    not even one."[c]
    13"Their throats are open graves;
    their tongues practice deceit."[d]
    "The poison of vipers is on their lips."[e]
    14"Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness."[f]
    15"Their feet are swift to shed blood;
    16ruin and misery mark their ways,
    17and the way of peace they do not know."[g]
    18"There is no fear of God before their eyes."[h]
    19Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

Righteousness Through Faith
    21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.
    27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. 28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. 29Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

care

ps. i will be back to explain in a bit...my husband needs the computer.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    IMPOSSIBLE!!

Inform me of a man who has performed this feat. Let me see, we have STALIN AND HITLER on your side and freakin' JESUS on mine!
    Being a good person and going to heaven/having salvation are different things, I guess those preachers just lied to me ?

Stalin and hitler were not on my side, what you been smoking. Don't you know you will burn in hell for lying.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Interesting how you can be a good riteous man and not go to heaven because of some skin on your penis....