Thread: Happy Father's Day/Juneteenth/Pride Day

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Happy Father's Day/Juneteenth/Pride Day

Merry Day, ay? Not enough to have one holiday... gotta shove in three...

Though I do love food holidays like Juneteenth...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-19-2022), LurchAddams (06-19-2022), ThatOwlWoman (06-19-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,624 Times in 51,916 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have a happy day! I'm deciding between New York Strip or a T-bone for dinner.

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Happy Juneteenth, everyone!

" A Proclamation on Juneteenth Day of Observance, 2022
    June 17, 2022
    • Presidential Actions

After the Union Army captured New Orleans in 1862, slave owners in Confederate states migrated to Texas with more than 150,000 enslaved Black persons. For 3 years, even after President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, enslaved Black Americans in Texas remained in brutal bondage, immorally and illegally deprived of their freedom and basic dignity. On June 19, 1865 — over 2 years after President Lincoln declared all enslaved persons free — Major General Gordon Granger and Union Army troops marched to Galveston, Texas, to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation and free the last enslaved Black Americans in Texas.

Those who were freed from bondage celebrated their long-overdue emancipation on June 19. Today, our Nation commemorates Juneteenth: a chance to celebrate human freedom, reflect on the grievous and ongoing legacy of slavery, and rededicate ourselves to rooting out the systemic racism that continues to plague our society as we strive to deliver the full promise of America to every American.

This Juneteenth, we are freshly reminded that the poisonous ideology of racism has not yet been defeated — it only hides. Our Nation continues to mourn the 10 lives senselessly taken in Buffalo, New York, and grieve for the families who have lost a piece of their soul. As we confront the awful reality of yet another gunman massacring innocent people in the name of hatred, racism, and fear, we must meet this moment with renewed resolve. We must stand together against white supremacy and show that bigotry and hate have no safe harbor in America.

Juneteenth is a day to reflect on both bondage and freedom — a day of both pain and purpose. It is, in equal measure, a remembrance of both the long, hard night of slavery and subjugation, as well as a celebration of the promise of a brighter morning to come. On Juneteenth, we remember our extraordinary capacity to heal, to hope, and to emerge from our worst moments as a stronger, freer, and more just Nation. It is also a day to celebrate the power and resilience of Black Americans, who have endured generations of oppression in the ongoing journey toward equal justice, equal dignity, equal rights, and equal opportunity in America.

Last year, I was proud to sign bipartisan legislation establishing Juneteenth as our newest Federal holiday, so that all Americans can feel the power of this day, learn from our history, celebrate our progress, and recognize and engage in the work that continues. Great nations do not ignore their most painful moments — they face them. We grow stronger as a country when we honestly confront our past injustices, including the profound suffering and injustice wrought by slavery and generations of segregation and discrimination against Black Americans. To heal, we must remember. We must never rest until the promise of our Nation is made real for all Americans.

The emancipation of enslaved Black Americans was not the end of our Nation’s work to deliver on the promise of equality — it was only the beginning. On Juneteenth, we recommit to our shared work to ensure racial justice, equity, and equality in America. We commemorate the centuries of struggle and progress led by abolitionists, educators, civil rights advocates, lawyers, activists, trade unionists, religious leaders, public officials, and everyday Americans who have brought our Nation closer to fulfilling its promise.

As my good friend, the late Congressman Elijah Cummings, said, “Our children are the living messengers we send to a future we will never see.” Together as a Nation, let us continue our work together to build a country we are all proud to pass along to our children — one where the foundational promises and ideals of America ring true for every child and every family.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 19, 2022, as Juneteenth Day of Observance. I call upon the people of the United States to acknowledge and condemn the history of slavery in our Nation and recognize how the impact of America’s original sin remains. I call on every American to celebrate the emancipation of all Black Americans and commit together to eradicate systemic racism and inequity that can never be tolerated and must always be fought against.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this seventeenth day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-two, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-sixth.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR. "

WhiteHouse.GOV
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-19-2022), ThatOwlWoman (06-19-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

May the oppressed one day know the simple freedom the oppressors take for granted.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ladies and gentlemen, the Black National Anthem!

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,544 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Juneteenth marks our country’s second independence day. Although it has long celebrated in the African American community, this monumental event remains largely unknown to most Americans.

The historical legacy of Juneteenth shows the value of never giving up hope in uncertain times.

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/storie...acy-juneteenth
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-19-2022), PoliTalker (06-19-2022), ThatOwlWoman (06-19-2022)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post

Food holidays are the best. Summer really did need one more High Holy BBQ Day.

Happy Father's Day! May you be properly worshiped by your spawns.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-19-2022)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Grilling out today , Chicken, hot dogs , homemade potato salad ,sweet corn and to finish it off homemade peach pie and watermelon

My daughter just brought over my favorite, big jar of pickled herring for my breakfasts this week!!!
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-19-2022), Doc Dutch (06-20-2022), PoliTalker (06-19-2022)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,895 Times in 6,587 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Today, I am a proud gay, black woman!
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Today, I am a proud gay, black woman!
    In others words, an American

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

LurchAddams (06-19-2022), PoliTalker (06-19-2022)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,895 Times in 6,587 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    In others words, an American
    I assumed that part was a "given".
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-19-2022)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Hey Damo, did you know about Juneteenth 4 years ago?
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Hey Damo, did you know about Juneteenth 4 years ago?
    Yes, in CO we have celebrated this most of my life.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-20-2022)

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,624 Times in 51,916 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Grilling out today , Chicken, hot dogs , homemade potato salad ,sweet corn and to finish it off homemade peach pie and watermelon

My daughter just brought over my favorite, big jar of pickled herring for my breakfasts this week!!!
    Good meal! Since it was also Father's Day, my wife and I had New York Strip, grilled corn, salad and baked potato.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-20-2022)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Yes, in CO we have celebrated this most of my life.
    If you had said that YOU knew about it I would have believed you but you had to bring the state of Colorado into it and now I don't believe you.

I just did a forum search. Do you know how many times you've mentioned juneteenth in this forum? Once...this thread in fact...you didn't mention it anywhere else since the inception of this forum. I feel comfortable calling you a liar.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see