Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Governor orders schools to drop standards for academic performance

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Well, it's pretty clear why you're having difficulty in understanding my position. It's because you rewrote my post, made a strawman out of my position, then ripped it to shreds.

I think testing has value. I don't think funding should be pulled from low performing schools with the intent of seeing them closed down to be replaced with for-profit schools as a reward for huge campaign donations.

Public schools don't have to earn a profit, so all of the funding goes into education.

For-profit schools have to pay for all the same things as public schools, and also generate a profit for investors. That profit comes at the expense of education. Logically, the for-profit model is at a disadvantage in providing a good education and generating good jobs.
    Where is funding mentioned anywhere in the article? Did you read what's being proposed?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-19-2021), TOP (09-16-2021)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Was trump a valedictorian in his own class?

Bloomberg was smart enough to get into graduate school, and get a real MBA. trump was not.
    Didn't need to be ... BTW ... are we a little envious of The Donald's money ???

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,023 Times in 8,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Didn't need to be ... BTW ... are we a little envious of The Donald's money ???
    Then why would he lie and say he was?

Is trump envious of Bezo's money, Bloomberg's money... And on and on... trump has a long history of attacking everyone more successful than him.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,417 Times in 16,406 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

No one here complaining read the article....that's obvious....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

Truth Detector (09-16-2021)

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    seems more worldish
    I was great test taker- but never did homework ( it was the 60's and I had better things to do after school)

Some people go to school but are lousy test takers.

Ideally you need both - you have to perform on command (test taking) and you have to have discipline and
    doggedness to get your daily work done
    Since partisanship so often messes up our ability to think I feel like the discussion of this topic needs to be had without any politicians names involved so people don't have the reaction Poli did of instinctively not liking it because of who's proposing it.

I think many people would agree with you. We need to have a certain level of testing to know kids have a certain level of ability and knowledge. But we can definitely go overboard on the amount of testing.

What's happening in Florida is just a proposal. It still has to go through the legislature etc. But will be interesting to follow because as they say the states are laboratories of democracy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah TOP ... you are correct ... I am guilty of being a party to dragging this off topic. No excuse ... just sometimes I get carried away.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Post:

TOP (09-16-2021)

11. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Micawber,

Kind of like the Trump approach to pandemic testing.

If you don't test, you won't know how bad it is, right?

And after all. Who wants to be in touch with reality when fantasy is so much better?
    And to be clear Poli, I'm not saying in any way you have to support what's being proposed here. I need to read up on it more myself to get a fuller understanding of what all it entails before I can I like or dislike it. But it's pretty clear the above was simply a non-principled partisan knee jerk response. If you're going to call out others for doing it, well you know what they say about glass houses...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

13. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    We are all still waiting on you to get us that evidence that trump graduated at the top of his class with an MBA... I am sure it is just an oversight by you.
    Start another thread Walt. This one isn't about Trump. Dumbass.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

15. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Where is funding mentioned anywhere in the article? Did you read what's being proposed?
    Where is NCLB mentioned in the article? It isn't. You brought it up.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

And to be clear Poli, I'm not saying in any way you have to support what's being proposed here. I need to read up on it more myself to get a fuller understanding of what all it entails before I can I like or dislike it. But it's pretty clear the above was simply a non-principled partisan knee jerk response. If you're going to call out others for doing it, well you know what they say about glass houses...
    DeSantis announced it like it is a done deal. DeSantis has a record of EOs and legislation that are overturned by courts. A good reason to be suspicious.

From the OP link:

" “We also have to recognize that it is the year 2021 and the FSA is quite frankly, outdated. It takes days to administer, leaving less time for student learning. It is not customizable to each student, which we do have the capability now with algorithms to do, it fails to provide timely information to parents, which as we know is very critical that that information be provided for them. It’s also too late for the modification of instruction, you take major tests at the end of the year, you get the results after the school year, so you can’t go back and fix that. So we are going to be ending that,” he said.

DeSantis said they will be replacing it with progress monitoring which many school districts are doing."

Isn't he getting the cart just a bit ahead of the horse?

If it is truly a good idea, it will have bipartisan support in the Florida Congress.

If there is something sneaky going on, Republicans will support it and Democrats will voice their objections.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

17. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,417 Times in 16,406 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

“We also have to recognize that it is the year 2021 and the FSA is quite frankly, outdated. It takes days to administer, leaving less time for student learning. It is not customizable to each student, which we do have the capability now with algorithms to do, it fails to provide timely information to parents, which as we know is very critical that that information be provided for them. It’s also too late for the modification of instruction, you take major tests at the end of the year, you get the results after the school year, so you can’t go back and fix that. So we are going to be ending that,” he said.

DeSantis said they will be replacing it with progress monitoring which many school districts are doing.

“This is short individualized check-in assessments three times per year. This will take hours not days to be able to do these assessments. It has three different opportunities, fall, winter, and spring to be able to check in on growth. There’ll be 75 percent less time for testing, which will mean more time for learning. It also informs teachers in real-time during the school year, so they can better help students,” said DeSantis.

The governor said the progress monitoring tools will be customizable and will even be unique to each student."
    What's not to like? Besides the person presenting the changes....

18. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,765 Times in 33,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

I’ll have to read more, but this sounds like a good idea.

19. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

DeSantis announced it like it is a done deal. DeSantis has a record of EOs and legislation that are overturned by courts. A good reason to be suspicious.

From the OP link:

" “We also have to recognize that it is the year 2021 and the FSA is quite frankly, outdated. It takes days to administer, leaving less time for student learning. It is not customizable to each student, which we do have the capability now with algorithms to do, it fails to provide timely information to parents, which as we know is very critical that that information be provided for them. It’s also too late for the modification of instruction, you take major tests at the end of the year, you get the results after the school year, so you can’t go back and fix that. So we are going to be ending that,” he said.

DeSantis said they will be replacing it with progress monitoring which many school districts are doing."

Isn't he getting the cart just a bit ahead of the horse?

If it is truly a good idea, it will have bipartisan support in the Florida Congress.

If there is something sneaky going on, Republicans will support it and Democrats will voice their objections.
    It's a proposal. That's how these things work.

From another article:

Florida’s statewide teachers’ union, the Florida Education Association, said they support the change.

“It will free up time for genuine teaching and learning, a move that the FEA, local unions & our 150,000 members have long advocated,” the union tweeted following the announcement.

https://www.wftv.com/news/florida/de...O64XLGSCZ3R4E/

You haven't addressed the substance of the proposal other than you don't like DiSantis. No actual principle involved (other than my side good, other side bad). And I guess the teacher's unions are now bad if they support this.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

21. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,956 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's a proposal. That's how these things work.

From another article:

Florida’s statewide teachers’ union, the Florida Education Association, said they support the change.

“It will free up time for genuine teaching and learning, a move that the FEA, local unions & our 150,000 members have long advocated,” the union tweeted following the announcement.

https://www.wftv.com/news/florida/de...O64XLGSCZ3R4E/

You haven't addressed the substance of the proposal other than you don't like DiSantis. No actual principle involved (other than my side good, other side bad). And I guess the teacher's unions are now bad if they support this.
    Notice the idiot that created the OP has long since left the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

22. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    Notice the idiot that created the OP has long since left the building.
    Because he was trolling. But the topic is a legitimate one. It's not often we see a Republican Governor and the teacher's union come together in agreement on something. If we found a bi-partisan solution to improving how we deliver education that would be great. But this is just in the proposal stages. I don't know if any other state has implemented something similar.