Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NYT: FBI opened "counter-INTEL" case against TRUMP for being a possible FOREIGN AGENT

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default NYT: FBI opened "counter-INTEL" case against TRUMP for being a possible FOREIGN AGENT

All the FBI experts, ex prosecutors, and even a few political strategists are weighing in tonight. No one in history, at this juncture, knows of any COUNTER-INTELLIGENCE case ever opened against a PRESIDENT. Was this president a foreign agent of a foreign country? We'll give the presidential historians overnight to let this sink in and do their research. I'm sure they'll be weighing in all weekend. I don't want to get too technical but remember how many times TRUMP wanted COMEY to deny he was a 'subject' of an FBI investigation'? I kept wondering why TRUMP, the most unspecific, imprecise speaker kept zeroing in on SUBJECT. I'm thinking this makes him a subject (or was he a 'target')?

Funny, or NOT, "they held off opening an investigation into him," they sure as hell didn't hold off investigating HILLARY--AGAIN,10 days before the election.

I don't know how many subscribe, here's the whole article.

F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

By Adam Goldman, Michael S. Schmidt and Nicholas Fandos
    • Jan. 11, 2019 - 830PM EST

WASHINGTON — In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.
    The investigation the F.B.I. opened into Mr. Trump also had a criminal aspect, which has long been publicly known: whether his firing of Mr. Comey constituted obstruction of justice.

Agents and senior F.B.I. officials had grown suspicious of Mr. Trump’s ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign but held off on opening an investigation into him, the people said, in part because they were uncertain how to proceed with an inquiry of such sensitivity and magnitude. But the president’s activities before and after Mr. Comey’s firing in May 2017, particularly two instances in which Mr. Trump tied the Comey dismissal to the Russia investigation, helped prompt the counterintelligence aspect of the inquiry, the people said.

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, took over the inquiry into Mr. Trump when he was appointed, days after F.B.I. officials opened it. That inquiry is part of Mr. Mueller’s broader examination of how Russian operatives interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Trump associates conspired with them. It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it.

The criminal and counterintelligence elements were coupled together into one investigation, former law enforcement officials said in interviews in recent weeks, because if Mr. Trump had ousted the head of the F.B.I. to impede or even end the Russia investigation, that was both a possible crime and a national security concern. The F.B.I.’s counterintelligence division handles national security matters.

If the president had fired Mr. Comey to stop the Russia investigation, the action would have been a national security issue because it naturally would have hurt the bureau’s effort to learn how Moscow interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Americans were involved, according to James A. Baker, who served as F.B.I. general counsel until late 2017. He privately testified in October before House investigators who were examining the F.B.I.’s handling of the full Russia inquiry.

“Not only would it be an issue of obstructing an investigation, but the obstruction itself would hurt our ability to figure out what the Russians had done, and that is what would be the threat to national security,” Mr. Baker said in his testimony, portions of which were read to The New York Times. Mr. Baker did not explicitly acknowledge the existence of the investigation of Mr. Trump to congressional investigators.
    No evidence has emerged publicly that Mr. Trump was secretly in contact with or took direction from Russian government officials. An F.B.I. spokeswoman and a spokesman for the special counsel’s office both declined to comment.

Rudolph W. Giuliani, a lawyer for the president, sought to play down the significance of the investigation. “The fact that it goes back a year and a half and nothing came of it that showed a breach of national security means they found nothing,” Mr. Giuliani said on Friday, though he acknowledged that he had no insight into the inquiry.

The cloud of the Russia investigation has hung over Mr. Trump since even before he took office, though he has long vigorously denied any illicit connection to Moscow. The obstruction inquiry, revealed by The Washington Post a few weeks after Mr. Mueller was appointed, represented a direct threat that he was unable to simply brush off as an overzealous examination of a handful of advisers. But few details have been made public about the counterintelligence aspect of the investigation.

The decision to investigate Mr. Trump himself was an aggressive move by F.B.I. officials who were confronting the chaotic aftermath of the firing of Mr. Comey and enduring the president’s verbal assaults on the Russia investigation as a “witch hunt.”

A vigorous debate has taken shape among some former law enforcement officials outside the case over whether F.B.I. investigators overreacted in opening the counterintelligence inquiry during a tumultuous period at the Justice Department. Other former officials noted that those critics were not privy to all of the evidence and argued that sitting on it would have been an abdication of duty.

The F.B.I. conducts two types of inquiries, criminal and counterintelligence investigations. Unlike criminal investigations, which are typically aimed at solving a crime and can result in arrests and convictions, counterintelligence inquiries are generally fact-finding missions to understand what a foreign power is doing and to stop any anti-American activity, like thefts of United States government secrets or covert efforts to influence policy. In most cases, the investigations are carried out quietly, sometimes for years. Often, they result in no arrests.

Mr. Trump had caught the attention of F.B.I. counterintelligence agents when he called on Russia during a campaign news conference in July 2016 to hack into the emails of his opponent, Hillary Clinton. Mr. Trump had refused to criticize Russia on the campaign trail, praising President Vladimir V. Putin. And investigators had watched with alarm as the Republican Party softened its convention platform on the Ukraine crisis in a way that seemed to benefit Russia.

A spotlight on the people reshaping our politics. A conversation with voters across the country. And a guiding hand through the endless news cycle, telling you what you really need to know.

Other factors fueled the F.B.I.’s concerns, according to the people familiar with the inquiry. Christopher Steele, a former British spy who worked as an F.B.I. informant, had compiled memos in mid-2016 containing unsubstantiated claims that Russian officials tried to obtain influence over Mr. Trump by preparing to blackmail and bribe him.
    il they had learned more, according to people familiar with their thinking. As for a counterintelligence inquiry, they concluded that they would need strong evidence to take the sensitive step of investigating the president, and they were also concerned that the existence of such an inquiry could be leaked to the news media, undermining the entire investigation into Russia’s meddling in the election.
    After Mr. Comey was fired on May 9, 2017, two more of Mr. Trump’s actions prompted them to quickly abandon those reservations. The first was a letter Mr. Trump wanted to send to Mr. Comey about his firing, but never did, in which he mentioned the Russia investigation. In the letter, Mr. Trump thanked Mr. Comey for previously telling him he was not a subject of the F.B.I.’s Russia investigation.

Even after the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, wrote a more restrained draft of the letter and told Mr. Trump that he did not have to mention the Russia investigation — Mr. Comey’s poor handling of the Clinton email investigation would suffice as a fireable offense, he explained — Mr. Trump directed Mr. Rosenstein to mention the Russia investigation anyway.

He disregarded the president’s order, irritating Mr. Trump. The president ultimately added a reference to the Russia investigation to the note he had delivered, thanking Mr. Comey for telling him three times that he was not under investigation.

The second event that troubled investigators was an NBC News interviewtwo days after Mr. Comey’s firing in which Mr. Trump appeared to say he had dismissed Mr. Comey because of the Russia inquiry.

“I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it,” he said. “And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself — I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should’ve won.”

Mr. Trump’s aides have said that a fuller examination of his comments demonstrates that he did not fire Mr. Comey to end the Russia inquiry. “I might even lengthen out the investigation, but I have to do the right thing for the American people,” Mr. Trump added. “He’s the wrong man for that position.”

As F.B.I. officials debated whether to open the investigation, some of them pushed to move quickly before Mr. Trump appointed a director who might slow down or even end their investigation into Russia’s interference. Many involved in the case viewed Russia as the chief threat to American democratic values.

“With respect to Western ideals and who it is and what it is we stand for as Americans, Russia poses the most dangerous threat to that way of life,” Ms. Page told investigators for a joint House Judiciary and Oversight Committee investigation into Moscow’s election interference.

F.B.I. officials viewed their decision to move quickly as validated when a comment the president made to visiting Russian officials in the Oval Office shortly after he fired Mr. Comey was revealed days later.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to a document summarizing the meeting. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Follow Adam Goldman, Michael S. Schmidt and Nicholas Fandos on Twitter: @adamgoldmanNYT, @nytmike and @npfandos.

A version of this article appears in print on Jan. 12, 2019 of the New York edition with the headline: F.B.I. INVESTIGATED IF TRUMP WORKED FOR THE RUSSIANS. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (01-12-2019), evince (01-11-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure our conservative friends here will label this 'Fake News'. (I'm just not sure which one will toss that out first?)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,570 Times in 2,245 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm pretty sure our conservative friends here will label this 'Fake News'. (I'm just not sure which one will toss that out first?)
    I think TD is the only one that repeats it unironically anymore.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Badguy For This Post:

Jack (01-12-2019)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,734 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,386 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    All the FBI experts, ex prosecutors, and even a few political strategists are weighing in tonight. No one in history, at this juncture, knows of any COUNTER-INTELLIGENCE case ever opened against a PRESIDENT.
    It is/was pretty obvious that trump is a Russian operative.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post

10. The Following User Groans At dukkha For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-12-2019)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-12-2019), Irish (01-11-2019), USFREEDOM911 (01-11-2019)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Fuck 'em! Treason is treason. Let 'em piss and moan and scream FAKE NEWS. None of their ignorance or obstruction matters. Water is wet, the sun will rise. Trump is a traitor. His supporters might try next (since he has NO CORE VALUES) HE JUST DID IT FOR THE MONEY, FAME and EGO. He's still a TRAITOR.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Jack (01-12-2019), kudzu (01-12-2019), Rune (01-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it.
    Deep State/ "Insurance Policy" (meeting in Mccabe Office with the principles called it such)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Mr. Trump had caught the attention of F.B.I. counterintelligence agents when he called on Russia during a campaign news conference in July 2016 to hack into the emails of his opponent, Hillary Clinton.

ROFL..because all "foreign agents" talk to Moscow at campaign rallies!

Mr. Trump had refused to criticize Russia on the campaign trail, praising President Vladimir V. Putin. And investigators had watched with alarm as the Republican Party softened its convention platform on the Ukraine crisis in a way that seemed to benefit Russia.
    more bullshit.
    the platform was not "softened"

The whole thing is bullshit. Mueller is on a witch hunt dreamt up by his friend Comey for revenge of being fired
    I don't know how you were diverted / You were perverted too
    I don't know how you were inverted / No one alerted you

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Deep State/ "Insurance Policy" (meeting in Mccabe Office with the principles called it such)
    Tonight it is just better if you QUIT TYPING.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Althea (01-12-2019), Rune (01-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What really happened with the GOP platform and Russia
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/b...orm-and-russia
    Denman's amendment also included an introductory paragraph filled with a lot of generic rhetoric. When she proposed the amendment, a Trump national security aide named J.D. Gordon, who was in the room with the platform committee, wanted to edit it. According to Denman, Gordon got on the phone, saying he was calling "New York" to discuss possible changes.

At the behest of the Trump campaign, the platform committee took out the throat-clearing introduction and changed Denman's reference from "lethal defensive weapons" for Ukraine to a pledge to provide "appropriate assistance to the armed forces of Ukraine." They left intact Denman's language on NATO, and on continued and possibly tougher sanctions on Russia.

The final, Trump-approved passage read: "We support maintaining and, if warranted, increasing sanctions, together with our allies, against Russia unless and until Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity are fully restored. We also support providing appropriate assistance to the armed forces of Ukraine and greater coordination with NATO defense planning." That was the amendment the committee approved.

In the end, nothing was taken out of the party's original draft platform on Russia. At Denman's behest, and with Trump's approval, the platform was made tougher with language pledging ongoing and possibly increased sanctions. It was also made tougher with Denman's reference to "NATO defense planning," which had not been in the original draft.

19. The Following User Groans At dukkha For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-12-2019)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    Tonight it is just better if you QUIT TYPING.
    can't handle the truth ?

21. The Following User Groans At dukkha For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-12-2019)

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Wow Comey was really an idiot!
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Your IQ might be lower than domers!

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    ROFL..because all "foreign agents" talk to Moscow at campaign rallies!

more bullshit.
    the platform was not "softened"

The whole thing is bullshit. Mueller is on a witch hunt dreamt up by his friend Comey for revenge of being fired
    His article cites the steele dossier. They really are that DUMB!

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health