1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,725 Times in 4,158 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,364 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Originally Posted by Taichiliberal
    That mentality resulted in the Crusades, the Inquisition, the travesties wrought upon Native Americans. That's an honest observation. One must examine the good and the bad that derives from "belief".
    Cruelty, murder, depravity are part of human nature irrespective of religion.

Scientists and the tools of science were used in the Holocaust, the horror of chemical warfare in the trenches of the Great War, in the development and use of weapons of mass destruction, fire bombing of cities, and the development and implemention of torture and"enhanced interrogation".

For all the horrible things done in the name of religion and science, I try to remember that human nature and history is three dimensional and humans are not caricatures.
    It doesn't hurt to remember that devout and pious Christians, aka Quakers, New England Congregationalists, etc were among the most proactive and effective abolitionists in the anti-slavery movement.
    Yes, what you say in your last sentence is true...but then there's stuff like this: https://www.friendsjournal.org/exper...erican-quaker/
    https://www.ncronline.org/news/opini...ts-racist-past

Good with the bad, and all that.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

2. The Following User Groans At Taichiliberal For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (12-30-2019)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

Jerome (12-30-2019)

4. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You seem to imply that one does not need religion.
    They certainly do not. The most religious societies in the world happen to be the most corrupt and murderous (Middle East, Indonesia, Nigeria, Central African Republic, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, etc.).

Meanwhile, the most atheistic have the highest standard of living (UK, France, Germnany, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands, etc.)

5. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    They certainly do not. The most religious societies in the world happen to be the most corrupt and murderous (Middle East, Indonesia, Nigeria, Central African Republic, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, etc.).

Meanwhile, the most atheistic have the highest standard of living (UK, France, Germnany, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands, etc.)
    Yeah dumbass, UK, France, Germany, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands are atheistic.

You're the reason I don't like to argue with uneducated morons.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

6. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,622 Times in 11,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    In a world were one person's religion is another person's fantasy, and one person's fantasy is another person's reality, the only sane person is the honest observer.
    Sounds like someone is still drunk from ringing in the new year.

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    Sounds like someone is still drunk from ringing in the new year.
    Dude, I took you off of IA after a LONG time because I figured you might have matured from a intellectually impotent right wing wonk just grinding his axe from a previous butt whupp'in on these threads. I see you haven't. Adios.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

8. The Following User Groans At Taichiliberal For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (01-09-2020)

9. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,622 Times in 11,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dude, I took you off of IA after a LONG time because I figured you might have matured from a intellectually impotent right wing wonk just grinding his axe from a previous butt whupp'in on these threads. I see you haven't. Adios.
    And another chicken shit wimp runs away.

10. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,627 Times in 9,295 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    And another chicken shit wimp runs away.
    Just like General Bonespurs
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

11. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Yes, what you say in your last sentence is true...but then there's stuff like this: https://www.friendsjournal.org/exper...erican-quaker/
    https://www.ncronline.org/news/opini...ts-racist-past

Good with the bad, and all that.
    Yes, you could spend the next three years posting examples of people claiming to be Christian and doing inexcusable, cruel, even criminal things ….

And I could spend the next three years posting examples of scientists and engineers who worked on the tools of the Holocaust, worked on the infrastructure of the GULAG, worked on human eugenics experiments, worked on chemical warfare, worked on weapons of mass destruction, worked on medical experiments with non-consenting humans, worked on nuclear bombs, worked in the military industrial complex to devise ever more lethal weapons to kill humans.

That is not a fruitful or worthwhile exercise.

To me, what this really comes down to is that science addresses practical technological questions or questions about how natural phenomena seem to work.

Religious faith, theology, and philosophical conjecture address metaphysical, epistemological, and ethical questions which are beyond the reach of scientific experiment and quantitative measurement.

We have no way of knowing if either intellectual tradition actually allows us to get a firm grip on objective reality. The only thing they might provide us is presumptive knowledge about natural phenomena, or insight into existential questions. That said, to pit science and faith in a contest against each other is to compare apples to oranges.

Wrapping up, yes I am aware that anyone who thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old or that Jonah lived in the belly of a whale is deluded and misguided. Those rubes do not represent all of humanity’s faith traditions.

12. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, you could spend the next three years posting examples of people claiming to be Christian and doing inexcusable, cruel, even criminal things ….

And I could spend the next three years posting examples of scientists and engineers who worked on the tools of the Holocaust, worked on the infrastructure of the GULAG, worked on human eugenics experiments, worked on chemical warfare, worked on weapons of mass destruction, worked on medical experiments with non-consenting humans, worked on nuclear bombs, worked in the military industrial complex to devise ever more lethal weapons to kill humans.

That is not a fruitful or worthwhile exercise.

To me, what this really comes down to is that science addresses practical technological questions or questions about how natural phenomena seem to work.

Religious faith, theology, and philosophical conjecture address metaphysical, epistemological, and ethical questions which are beyond the reach of scientific experiment and quantitative measurement.

We have no way of knowing if either intellectual tradition actually allows us to get a firm grip on objective reality. The only thing they might provide us is presumptive knowledge about natural phenomena, or insight into existential questions. That said, to pit science and faith in a contest against each other is to compare apples to oranges.

Wrapping up, yes I am aware that anyone who thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old or that Jonah lived in the belly of a whale is deluded and misguided. Those rubes do not represent all of humanity’s faith traditions.
    Here's the thing Cy....the incredible contradictions in many religious scriptures makes any honest/objective reader to sit up and take notice. This is why my OP is pretty valid.

Yes, there is the faith of religion and the faith in the scientific method. Nary the twain shall meet...but occasionally they call each other on the phone (or should).

George Orwell

13. The Following User Groans At Taichiliberal For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (01-09-2020)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

Cypress (01-03-2020)

15. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Here's the thing Cy....the incredible contradictions in many religious scriptures makes any honest/objective reader to sit up and take notice. This is why my OP is pretty valid.

Yes, there is the faith of religion and the faith in the scientific method. Nary the twain shall meet...but occasionally they call each other on the phone (or should).
    I cannot argue with that. Books that were written 2000 years ago undoubtedly should not be considered accurate historical accounts or infallible guides to human conduct. I am nevertheless willing to accept there is existential and metaphysical value to be found in the New Testament, the Jewish Bible, the Annalects of Confucius, the Quran, the Bhagadavida.

Speaking of contradictions, any layperson remotely familiar with Einstein's relativity, dilation of time and space, and quantum theory could easily convince themselves that modern physics is chock full of contradiction!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Taichiliberal (01-04-2020)

17. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Yeah dumbass, UK, France, Germany, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands are atheistic.

You're the reason I don't like to argue with uneducated morons.
    You're not even arguing. You've literally added nothing to the discussion. Those countries are majority atheist population.

18. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You're not even arguing. You've literally added nothing to the discussion. Those countries are majority atheist population.
    Never try and debate with a willfully ignorant person who's proud of it. One of the reasons I have TD on in the Ignore bin.

George Orwell

19. The Following User Groans At Taichiliberal For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (01-09-2020)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

domer76 (01-06-2020)

21. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why argue with a fact challenged loon?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

22. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Never try and debate with a willfully ignorant person who's proud of it. One of the reasons I have TD on in the Ignore bin.
    I R O N Y!!!

23. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,627 Times in 9,295 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I cannot argue with that. Books that were written 2000 years ago undoubtedly should not be considered accurate historical accounts or infallible guides to human conduct. I am nevertheless willing to accept there is existential and metaphysical value to be found in the New Testament, the Jewish Bible, the Annalects of Confucius, the Quran, the Bhagadavida.

Speaking of contradictions, any layperson remotely familiar with Einstein's relativity, dilation of time and space, and quantum theory could easily convince themselves that modern physics is chock full of contradiction!
    "Jesus was either liar,lunatic,or LORD"
    Thomas Aquinas
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

Cypress (01-07-2020)