Members banned from this thread: tinfoil, Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Wolverine, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Evmetro, Superfreak, CharacterAssassin, RB 60, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, Joe Capitalist, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, Enlightened One, Anarchon, artichoke, Bobb, Earl, lisasanders1964 and Vasquezrocks

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $1B Climate Change Denial Industry: Getting Rich Telling Lies, Destroying Humanity...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default $1B Climate Change Denial Industry: Getting Rich Telling Lies, Destroying Humanity...

"The overwhelming majority of climate scientists, international governmental bodies, relevant research institutes and scientific societies are in unison in saying that climate change is real, that it’s a problem, and that we should probably do something about it now, not later. And yet, for some reason, the idea persists in some peoples’ minds that climate change is up for debate, or that climate change is no big deal.

Actually, it’s not “for some reason” that people are confused. There’s a very obvious reason. There is a very well-funded, well-orchestrated climate change-denial movement, one funded by powerful people with very deep pockets. In a new and incredibly thorough study, Drexel University sociologist Robert Brulle took a deep dive into the financial structure of the climate deniers, to see who is holding the purse strings.

According to Brulle’s research, the 91 think tanks and advocacy organizations and trade associations that make up the American climate denial industry pull down just shy of a billion dollars each year, money used to lobby or sway public opinion on climate change and other issues."

The Billion Dollar Climate Change Denial Industry

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cinnabar (06-21-2019), Cypress (06-20-2019), signalmankenneth (06-20-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,614 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

$100 BILLION+ AGW CLIMATE LIES INDUSTRY.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

Stretch (06-20-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Grokmaster,

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    $100 BILLION+ AGW CLIMATE LIES INDUSTRY.
    Climate Change is real.

It is human caused.

We have to change our ways.

Give it up already.

For the sake of our children and grandchildren...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    "The overwhelming majority of climate scientists, international governmental bodies, relevant research institutes and scientific societies are in unison in saying that climate change is real, that it’s a problem, and that we should probably do something about it now, not later. And yet, for some reason, the idea persists in some peoples’ minds that climate change is up for debate, or that climate change is no big deal.

Actually, it’s not “for some reason” that people are confused. There’s a very obvious reason. There is a very well-funded, well-orchestrated climate change-denial movement, one funded by powerful people with very deep pockets. In a new and incredibly thorough study, Drexel University sociologist Robert Brulle took a deep dive into the financial structure of the climate deniers, to see who is holding the purse strings.

According to Brulle’s research, the 91 think tanks and advocacy organizations and trade associations that make up the American climate denial industry pull down just shy of a billion dollars each year, money used to lobby or sway public opinion on climate change and other issues."

The Billion Dollar Climate Change Denial Industry

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.
    Even Trump's own EPA administrator - aka, the guy that Trump thought was the best in the nation to manage our environmental problems - testified to congress that human-induced climate change is a real problem that needs to be addressed in the long term, although he did not think it was one of our most pressing and top priorities right now.

That is pretty much a stunning admission that decades of global warming denial was a complete hoax.

I think your post in insightful, because I have never thought climate denial really had anything to do with science or with sound environmental management.

For one thing, a lot of people have become famous or rich from the Climate Change Denial Industry. People who otherwise do not have the talent or wherewithal to become rich and famous.

Secondly, there are trillions of barrels of untapped oil still in the ground which has not yet been burned. The oligarchy is not going to walk away from that kind of money without a fight to the death.

Lastly, there is some element of emotional investment in climate denial. Teabaggers have been pre-conditioned emotionally to reject everything that is perceived to be liberal. One single example - Trump violating, and pulling of of the Iran nuclear agreement, an international agreement that was actually working, but Trump wanted out of it simply because Obama negotiated it.

There are Climate Deniers who have emotionally invested themselves in denial for decades. And I put the probability at exactly zero percent that, at this point, they are every going to confess that they were wrong. I believe some of them would rather see harm come to their children and grandchildren than admit they were wrong to anonymous liberals they will never meet on an obscure message board.

7. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-21-2019)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-20-2019)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Even Trump's own EPA administrator - aka, the guy that Trump thought was the best in the nation to manage our environmental problems - testified to congress that human-induced climate change is a real problem that needs to be addressed in the long term, although he did not think it was one of our most pressing and top priorities right now.

That is pretty much a stunning admission that decades of global warming denial was a complete hoax.

I think your post in insightful, because I have never thought climate denial really had anything to do with science or with sound environmental management.

For one thing, a lot of people have become famous or rich from the Climate Change Denial Industry. People who otherwise do not have the talent or wherewithal to become rich and famous.

Secondly, there are trillions of barrels of untapped oil still in the ground which has not yet been burned. The oligarchy is not going to walk away from that kind of money without a fight to the death.

Lastly, there is some element of emotional investment in climate denial. Teabaggers have been pre-conditioned emotionally to reject everything that is perceived to be liberal. One single example - Trump violating, and pulling of of the Iran nuclear agreement, an international agreement that was actually working, but Trump wanted out of it simply because Obama negotiated it.

There are Climate Deniers who have emotionally invested themselves in denial for decades. And I put the probability at exactly zero percent that, at this point, they are every going to confess that they were wrong. I believe some of them would rather see harm come to their children and grandchildren than admit they were wrong to anonymous liberals they will never meet on an obscure message board.
    I think you are totally correct on all counts.

Seething hatred as a way of life.

They give one another a group to identify with.

The old we/they theory.

We're not fighting the Germans, the Japanese, or the Rooskies anymore.

Now they absurdly believe they can remake America in their own vision.

Somehow, they believe they can either a) change the minds of all the liberals, or b) drive them away?

Neither is possible.

So they are stuck in a country with diversity of views.

But they don't want to admit it.

So, against all hope, they press on.

Talk about mixed up!

Why can't people just accept that we Americans are free to believe as we wish?

Why can't they accept reality?

Why can't they have some respect for Americans just doing the American thing and standing up for what they believe in?

Why do they have to be so obtuse, always resorting to whataboutism, deny, deflect, attack?

Why can't they argue their positions on the basis of merit?

Well, we know the answer to that one.

They would lose the argument!
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 06-20-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo

10. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

I love the way Chevron and Exxon etc put up these "we care about the environment" ads on TV.........some nice looking woman in a hard hat feeding a squirrel or some shit like that

12. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-20-2019)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

14. The Following User Groans At Micawber For This Awful Post:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-20-2019)

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    I love the way Chevron and Exxon etc put up these "we care about the environment" ads on TV.........some nice looking woman in a hard hat feeding a squirrel or some shit like that
    Talking out of both sides of the mouth has been redefined by these outfits.

17. The Following User Groans At Micawber For This Awful Post:

18. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Talking out of both sides of the mouth has been redefined by these outfits.
    I should have mentioned BP, they hire the best advertising firms in the galaxy by far

19. The Following User Groans At reagansghost For This Awful Post:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-20-2019)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,418 Times in 7,537 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Grokmaster,

Climate Change is real.

It is human caused.

We have to change our ways.

Give it up already.

For the sake of our children and grandchildren...
    For our own sake too. We only have until 2031. 12 yrs.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

gfm7175 (06-21-2019)

23. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'd rather see them showing Formula 1 cars in action.
    I've been to one of those races. Very impressive!

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I should have mentioned BP, they hire the best advertising firms in the galaxy by far
    What brand of petrol do you recommend as an alternative to BP, Chevron or Exxon? I want to be environmentally conscious.
    I've already queried McSlawber about this, he refused to answer

25. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

26. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello reagansghost,

Check out the sources for the funding.

There is a link in the OP.

Here it is:

Funding The Denial Industry

Exxon Mobil is totally funding the Denial Industry.

27. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

28. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    For our own sake too. We only have until 2031. 12 yrs.
    There is no deadline.

The sooner the better, the longer we wait the more extreme the devastation.

29. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

30. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    I'd rather see them showing Formula 1 cars in action.
    I've been to one of those races. Very impressive!
    We can keep doing that. Just run em on biofuel. I already use synthetic oil.

31. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post: