Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DT Again Attacks Mail In Voting, Claims Power To Issue EO

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,810 Times in 17,250 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Good point. I wonder if a state can require an earlier postmark since that is making them vote before election day.

Registering with the DMV verifies their identify but not their citizenship.

I don't like my state allowing the mail-in ballot to go to a different address than of their registration.
    When you register to vote, you have to show ID. Then the election commission checks it and assigns you a precinct. They put your name in the roll book. When your vote is received, you are checked off as voted. Your signature is matched.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    When you register to vote, you have to show ID. Then the election commission checks it and assigns you a precinct. They put your name in the roll book. When your vote is received, you are checked off as voted. Your signature is matched.
    I understand. But if you check "U. S. Citizen" on the registration form you become a registered voter unless the state has information you are not a citizen; but, it is not something that can be checked. AZ tried that and the Supreme Court struck it down.

I doubt signatures get much real scrutiny in practice. Places I have voted didn't even bother to check ID.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump may be hurting his own cause. In many states Republicans use mail-in ballots as much or more than Democrats. Now, they seem to distrust it and have been using it less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...%2Fin-the-news
    Exactly........... Certainly screwing the down tix........ He does not care about them, only himself-quite obviously
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Controlled Opposition,

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    WA State has been doing that for years. No problems. People register through the DMV, which means that their identity is validated via photo and signature. There also drop boxes.

What I don't like is that mail-in ballots only need to be postmarked by election day.
    Sure, it's nice to know right away, but that has not always been the case. It's not like any newly elected person takes office the next day.
    I don't see why that's a problem. What's the rush to get results?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

Sure, it's nice to know right away, but that has not always been the case. It's not like any newly elected person takes office the next day.
    I don't see why that's a problem. What's the rush to get results?
    That is true. Most of the ballots are already counted by election day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-05-2020)

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    That is true. Most of the ballots are already counted by election day.
    That's without a pandemic. Now that a greater percentage will be mailed in, counting may take longer. We may not even know on the night of the election. Hopefully that is not the case and it is so overwhelming that all remaining uncounted ballots won't matter.

That would be best for the nation. Unite around something for a change.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,810 Times in 17,250 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

I understand. But if you check "U. S. Citizen" on the registration form you become a registered voter unless the state has information you are not a citizen; but, it is not something that can be checked. AZ tried that and the Supreme Court struck it down.

I doubt signatures get much real scrutiny in practice. Places I have voted didn't even bother to check ID.
    I have done poll work. I checked every single signature. I never found one bad although some signed their initial on the registration and their whole middle name on the voter sheet. They had to resign and initial it. Or toss the ballot and do a provisional.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-05-2020)