Thread: DT Again Attacks Mail In Voting, Claims Power To Issue EO

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default DT Again Attacks Mail In Voting, Claims Power To Issue EO

"WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump claimed Monday that he has the authority to issue an executive order on mail-in ballots, whose increasing use, he argues, could increase election fraud and uncertainty, though it is is unclear what he could do to curtail the practice.

“I have the right to do it,” Trump told reporters at a White House press conference. “We haven’t gotten there yet, we’ll see what happens.”

Nearly all election procedures are governed on a state-by-state basis, with the remainder set by Congress or enshrined in the Constitution. There is no precedent or apparent authority for Trump to try to curtail the use of mail-in ballots by executive order, though he could use a document to formalize his opposition to the practice.

Trump’s claimed authority comes days after he publicly floated a delay to the Nov. 3 presidential election, a notion was met with swift bipartisan blowback.

There is no evidence of widespread voter fraud through mail-in voting and the states that use it exclusively say they have necessary safeguards in place to ensure that a hostile foreign actor doesn’t disrupt the vote. Election security experts say voter fraud is rare in all forms of balloting, including by mail.

In addition to his claims of fraud, Trump argued that voting by mail would delay the determination of the election’s victor, noting that the winner of a New York Democratic congressional primary vote conducted by mail weeks ago remains undeclared. Trump said he believes that race would need to be “rerun.”

Trump claimed the challenge would be greater in a presidential election, where the Electoral College could come down to just one state, and some states allow mail-in ballots to be received up to a week after Election Day.

“You’ll never know who won that state,” Trump said Monday of Nevada’s expansion of mail voting."

Associated Press

What's he afraid of? Too many people voting?

As usual, his claims are baseless; without support.

He's talking out his twitter.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (08-04-2020), Guno צְבִי (08-04-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump is desperate, and restricting voting is the only chance that he's got to win the election, and Trump being as unscrupulous and unethical as he is, is willing to do what ever it takes, regardless.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-04-2020), PoliTalker (08-04-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Trump is desperate, and restricting voting is the only chance that he's got to win the election, and Trump being as unscrupulous and unethical as he is, is willing to do what ever it takes, regardless.
    He is also senile, poor baffled old bugger!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-04-2020), PoliTalker (08-04-2020), Trumpet (08-04-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Trumpet,

Maybe he should just claim the power to end elections forever. Then he remains president, issues an EO to change the Constitution, change us into a monarchy in which he is king, gets rid of pesky Congress, and power then passes down to Ivanka after he dies.

You know that's what he really wants.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Trumpet (08-04-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Penderyn,

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    He is also senile, poor baffled old bugger!
    He looks pathetic, desperate.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Trumpet,

Maybe he should just claim the power to end elections forever. Then he remains president, issues an EO to change the Constitution, change us into a monarchy in which he is king, gets rid of pesky Congress, and power then passes down to Ivanka after he dies.

You know that's what he really wants.
    That is as clear as bell. .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-04-2020)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,229 Times in 6,866 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

Trump is basically determined to make sure that no one ever takes American elections seriously again.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Trumpet,

That is as clear as bell. .
    Someone needs to inform the president that there is absolutely no evidence of increased voter fraud with Mail-In Voting.

Voters are typically identified with a photo ID at the time they register or request a mail-in ballot. Their signature is recorded. When they vote their ballot, they must sign the envelope or sleeve.

The signatures are checked against the files. If it doesn't match, the ballot is not counted until the voter is notified and given a chance to verify the ballot.

4 States do all their voting by mail-in ballot.

The validity of those elections has never been a problem before.

Only when Trump is facing bad polling and the prospect of increased mail voting due to the pandemic has this become an issue.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Trumpet (08-04-2020)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Trump may be hurting his own cause. In many states Republicans use mail-in ballots as much or more than Democrats. Now, they seem to distrust it and have been using it less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...%2Fin-the-news

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,234 Times in 7,126 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

It sure is going to be nice having a "Normal" president again in just 12 more weeks.

NO more insanity coming out of the White House- NO more stupid and hateful tweets coming out of the White House- No more lying coming out of the White House- NO more corruption going on the White House- NO more nepotism going on in the White House- No more Billionaire's special interests running our country- No more tax evaders and defrauders running our country- No more racists running our country- No more Impeached presidents running our country- No more destruction of our Institutions and protection agencies- No more destruction to our Democratic processes- No more Constitutional Crisis- No more criminal presidents pardoning other criminals- No more corrupted Attorney Generals corrupting our justice department and agencies-

I realize that the last 4 years have been hard to endure for most of us Americans- but let's just look forward to the next 4 years of Normalcy once again.

It is a shame that the only way Donald Trump made America great again was him losing the 2020 election and turning things over to Joe Biden!

Oh WHAT A RELIEF IT IS!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-04-2020), Iolo/Penderyn (08-05-2020), PoliTalker (08-04-2020)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,787 Times in 17,241 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Trump does not have that power, but he does not care. He will simply do it and defy you to stop him. I do not know if they can. Many laws do not have penalties. They rely on the president respecting the regs in principle. Trump is just looking at it all for loopholes. He respects nothing including the rules that govern presidents.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Trump may be hurting his own cause. In many states Republicans use mail-in ballots as much or more than Democrats. Now, they seem to distrust it and have been using it less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...%2Fin-the-news
    Yeah, try to tell him that.

Ya know, everybody knows, he hurt his own cause by not doing a good job of leadership in handling the crisis.

Instead, he thought he could simply do a good job of media manipulation to smooth it all over.

A crisis, though, is what separates the real leaders from the fake ones.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Trumpet,

Someone needs to inform the president that there is absolutely no evidence of increased voter fraud with Mail-In Voting.

Voters are typically identified with a photo ID at the time they register or request a mail-in ballot. Their signature is recorded. When they vote their ballot, they must sign the envelope or sleeve.

The signatures are checked against the files. If it doesn't match, the ballot is not counted until the voter is notified and given a chance to verify the ballot.

4 States do all their voting by mail-in ballot.

The validity of those elections has never been a problem before.

Only when Trump is facing bad polling and the prospect of increased mail voting due to the pandemic has this become an issue.
    WA State has been doing that for years. No problems. People register through the DMV, which means that their identity is validated via photo and signature. There also drop boxes.

What I don't like is that mail-in ballots only need to be postmarked by election day.

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    WA State has been doing that for years. No problems. People register through the DMV, which means that their identity is validated via photo and signature. There also drop boxes.

What I don't like is that mail-in ballots only need to be postmarked by election day.
    Good point. I wonder if a state can require an earlier postmark since that is making them vote before election day.

Registering with the DMV verifies their identify but not their citizenship.

I don't like my state allowing the mail-in ballot to go to a different address than of their registration.