Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: DeSantis broaches repeal of Disney World's special self-governing status in Florida

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,729 Times in 27,216 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,585 Times in 18,174 Posts
    Blog Entries

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/usercp.php

Long long lines to vote in Florida

They ALWAYS seem to be in black and brown neighborhoods

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,729 Times in 27,216 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,585 Times in 18,174 Posts
    Blog Entries

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis addressed on Thursday the suggestion of repealing a 55-year-old state law that allows Disney to effectively govern itself on the grounds of Walt Disney World, following the company’s public opposition to a controversial parental rights law in Florida.

"What I would say as a matter of first principle is I don’t support special privileges in law just because a company is powerful and they’ve been able to wield a lot of power," DeSantis said during a press conference in West Palm Beach, Florida on Thursday.

Disney has been engaged in a war of words with Republicans in Florida leading up to Monday’s signing of the controversial bill, which prohibits classroom instruction on "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" with children in third grade or younger "or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

DeSantis referenced a bill reining in big tech that Republicans were working through the legislature last year when Disney added a "carve out" at the "11th hour" for theme parks.

"I’m thinking to myself, ‘This is ridiculous,’" DeSantis said. "Honestly, it was embarrassing."

DeSantis continued, "I think what has happened is there’s a lot of these special privileges that are not justifiable, but because Disney had held so much sway, they were able to sustain a lot of special treatment over the years."

DeSantis said that Disney has "lost a lot of the pull that they used to have" over the company's reaction to the parental rights law and said he thinks that’s a "good thing for our state because the state should be governed by the best interest of the people."....

....DeSantis’s comments comes after Florida State Rep. Spencer Roach tweeted that he has met with legislators to discuss repealing the self-governing law in response to Disney’s recent actions.

"Yesterday was the 2nd meeting in a week w/fellow legislators to discuss a repeal of the 1967 Reedy Creek Improvement Act, which allows Disney to act as its own government," Roach tweeted. "If Disney wants to embrace woke ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County."

========================================

Hmmm Mickey has done got himself in trouble. This going to get interesting.
    DeSantis has the potential to destroy his own state and government. Love it!!!

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,002 Times in 8,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis addressed on Thursday the suggestion of repealing a 55-year-old state law that allows Disney to effectively govern itself on the grounds of Walt Disney World, following the company’s public opposition to a controversial parental rights law in Florida.

"What I would say as a matter of first principle is I don’t support special privileges in law just because a company is powerful and they’ve been able to wield a lot of power," DeSantis said during a press conference in West Palm Beach, Florida on Thursday.

Disney has been engaged in a war of words with Republicans in Florida leading up to Monday’s signing of the controversial bill, which prohibits classroom instruction on "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" with children in third grade or younger "or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

DeSantis referenced a bill reining in big tech that Republicans were working through the legislature last year when Disney added a "carve out" at the "11th hour" for theme parks.

"I’m thinking to myself, ‘This is ridiculous,’" DeSantis said. "Honestly, it was embarrassing."

DeSantis continued, "I think what has happened is there’s a lot of these special privileges that are not justifiable, but because Disney had held so much sway, they were able to sustain a lot of special treatment over the years."

DeSantis said that Disney has "lost a lot of the pull that they used to have" over the company's reaction to the parental rights law and said he thinks that’s a "good thing for our state because the state should be governed by the best interest of the people."....

....DeSantis’s comments comes after Florida State Rep. Spencer Roach tweeted that he has met with legislators to discuss repealing the self-governing law in response to Disney’s recent actions.

"Yesterday was the 2nd meeting in a week w/fellow legislators to discuss a repeal of the 1967 Reedy Creek Improvement Act, which allows Disney to act as its own government," Roach tweeted. "If Disney wants to embrace woke ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County."

More of the usual political posturing by the fat little toad DeShameless.

That is never going to happen because if it did, Orange and Osceola counties would have to take over providing all the services that Reedy Creek now provides for itself.

Taxes in those two counties would go sky high.

This is just Toad Boy throwing a tantrum because Disney opposes his gay bill and he got his little feelings hurt.

And of course it plays so well with the rwnj rednecks who keep this state under the Republicans' thumb.

While they sell off our environment a square mile at a time.

Fuck DeShameless.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

AProudLefty (03-31-2022)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    DeSantis may not want to poke Disney. They supply a lot of revenue to Florida, not only themselves but businesses supported by Disney being there.
    Fuck Disney; They can go away and not ary a damn thing changes in my world.

I would find comfort in knowing I'd never have to listen to "It's a Small World" ever again.

Disney was done when Walt died. Now people have wrongly been making money off of him for decades. Fuck them.

Disney has perverted every single thing that made them once desirable.

I bet they don't even have "Frontierland" anymore.

I refuse to go there ever again. No more "It's a Small World" for me.

I refused the last 2x to Disney. No mas.

Disney fucked up Uncle Remus, that especially pisses me off.

Zippity doo-da! The Disney Uncle Remus was good, but they canceled him.

Uncle Remus was American culture for well over a century.

Omg, this morning I encountered an old black woman I've known for about 4 decades, and she started the day off absolutely right, baby!

Me n her are always on the same page.

Yeah! She's a real American, and an awesome person.

I can't say she's as big as Uncle Remus, but she is damn better in my book.

Probly because she's just closer to me. I got her good this AM somehow.

Made my day, it really did.
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 04-01-2022 at 12:18 AM.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Fuck Disney; They can go away and not ary a damn thing changes in my world.

I would find comfort in knowing I'd never have to listen to "It's a Small World" ever again.
    When you fuck with Disney, Florida is fucked. Tread well.

8. #22 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,602 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Disney, of all things, goes over to the dark side. Sad.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Disney, of all things, goes over to the dark side. Sad.
    The "Dark Side" has been keeping Florida rich. Fuck with the "Dark Side" and Florida will be doomed.

10. #24 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,602 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    The "Dark Side" has been keeping Florida rich. Fuck with the "Dark Side" and Florida will be doomed.
    Loosing Disney wouldn't burn Florida. They are only one company.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Matt Dillon (04-01-2022)

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Loosing Disney wouldn't burn Florida. They are only one company.
    Plenty of business people are going to be pretty upset if the act is repealed.

Don't fuck with those business people.

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 661 Times in 608 Posts

How's about squawking your squawker on the following details when it comes to the honorable judge Walker thumping seditious Desantis's effort to undermine voting rights in Florida. This in order as a tyrant to construct a shithole of his own desire there and a attack on Democracy, U.S. Constitutional law and the common decency of society in America. Also, to desecrate the voting rights of a segment of society, attacks the Constitutional integrity of voting rights of all of society:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A federal judge struck down portions of a Florida election law passed last year, saying in a ruling Thursday that the Republican-led government was using subtle tactics to suppress Black voters.

The law tightened rules on mailed ballots, drop boxes and other popular election methods — changes that made it more difficult for Black voters who, overall, have more socioeconomic disadvantages than white voters, U.S. District Judge Mark Walker wrote in his ruling.

"For the past 20 years, the majority in the Florida Legislature has attacked the voting rights of its Black constituents," Walker wrote. Given that history, he said, some future election law changes should be subject to court approval.

Florida's Republican-led legislature joined several others around the country in passing election reforms after Republican former President Donald Trump made unfounded claims that the 2020 election was stolen from him. Democrats have called such reforms a partisan attempt to keep some voters from the ballot box.

Private funding saved the 2020 election. Now, some GOP-led states are banning it
    Arizona Republicans enact a controversial new proof-of-citizenship voting lawned to fuel the narrative around the big lie and that the election was stolen from Trump," Democratic state Rep. Fentrice Driskell, who is Black, said in a phone interview after the ruling was issued. "What we absolutely can't have is a system that, I almost feel like, is separate and unequal. Making it harder for Black people to vote is unconstitutional." Again to make it perfectly clear, to attack the voting rights of a segment of society which is a violation of U.S. Constitutional law, erodes the voting integrity of all of society in violation of U.S. Constitutional law and other voting rights laws.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/31/10900...a-election-law

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My area of FL ain't fucked at all. Disney can go kick rocks for all I give a fuck.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Embrace "The Dark Side" and you will lose yourself.

Like another FL boy said: "I ain't the one".

I'd rather be poor and myself than rich and subservient to something evil.

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There's still the 1/2 of Canada coming here every winter. All the spring breakers at the beaches, too.

Disney could fuck off and I wouldn't give 2 shits. I hate all their bullshit anyway.

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    They might do better to get them back.
    Not while Democrats control everything.