Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Democrats Will Need 4 Republican Senators To Block Nomination. It's Possible.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Did you go blind? All the threads started by rightys have rendered that argument moot. This is being discussed in many spots. Of course, you are making up an excuse to attack leftys.
    Pipe down Nordberg. The fact is liberal cast aside RGB as fast as they cast aside Ted Kennedy. You folks use and eat your own. Once again, pathetic.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,189 Times in 52,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Did you consider it honorable when they refused to consider the nomination or did you think it would be more honorable to confirm Garland?
    Given the fact that Scalia passed in February of that year, and McConnell and the (R)s refused to even consider Garland, I would call that dishonorable.

Several (R)s stated that they didn't think it was right to allow Obama to "have" one more justice and that they shouldn't even vote on one in an election year because the (mumble mumble) people might choose a differently-flavored POTUS. So fair is fair -- is it now honorable to forget all about that and try to ram one through -- six weeks before the election?

If there's one thing that Republicans are good at, it's hypocrisy.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-20-2020)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-21-2020), PoliTalker (09-20-2020)

5. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Did you consider it honorable when they refused to consider the nomination or did you think it would be more honorable to confirm Garland?
    Republicans should have confirmed Garland, but that ship has sailed. They didn't, so a precedent has been set. They made their own bed, now they need to sleep in it.

Trying to have it both ways just shows the American public how unprincipled they truly are. They can be bought. They are addicted to power, can't quit, have no values. They need to be replaced.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-20-2020)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-20-2020)

8. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Given the fact that Scalia passed in February of that year, and McConnell and the (R)s refused to even consider Garland, I would call that dishonorable.

Several (R)s stated that they didn't think it was right to allow Obama to "have" one more justice and that they shouldn't even vote on one in an election year because the (mumble mumble) people might choose a differently-flavored POTUS. So fair is fair -- is it now honorable to forget all about that and try to ram one through -- six weeks before the election?

Republicans have got hypocrisy DOWN.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-20-2020)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

11. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,747 Times in 32,119 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Republicans have got hypocrisy DOWN.
    the precedent is simply that the party with the majority of votes passes what they choose to pass.........no hypocrisy involved.........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Earl (09-20-2020), Truth Detector (09-24-2020)

13. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,396 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,377 Times in 6,125 Posts
    Blog Entries

Democrats Will Need 4 Republican Senators To Block Nomination. It's Possible.
    Sure- they're the reprobates that blocked evidence to the Trump impeachment.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

14. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Senate Republicans hold 53 Senate seats to Democrats 47. They would need 4 Republicans to cross the isle.

Seems unlikely, but there may be hope. This could get interesting.

Lots of Republican Senators are facing difficult elections where they need to appease the middle to get reelected.

4 is a possibility. Actually 7 is a possibility: Colorado, Maine, Alaska, Utah, North Carolina, and Arizona are all possible to cross the line. Some of these people face difficult decisions which could affect their own chances of reelection

Some Republican Senators are in States where Biden is leading in the polls, setting up a coat-tails effect which threatens their chances at retaining their seats.

Republican Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado:

"Four years ago, Gardner said that a Supreme Court vacancy in February 2016 should not be filled by President Barack Obama because the Democrat was in his final year as president: “I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision,” Gardner said then."

In first appearance after Ginsburg’s death, Gardner declines to say when justice should be replaced

Gardner faces ex Governor John Hickenlooper, who is popular there. Biden is strongly favored in Colorado polling. Biden +10 over Trump.

Republican Senator Martha McSally of Arizona

McSally faces Democrat Mark Kelly, astronaut and husband of Rep Gabby Giffords who was the victim of a well publicized mass shooting attack.

Kelly leads McSally by +6.7

Biden also leads in Arizona: Biden +5.0 (rcp average)

Republican Senator Susan Collins of Maine
    is trailing Democrat Sara Gideon by a strong margin: Gideon +6.2

Biden leads Trump heavily in Maine: Biden +13.8

Republican Senator Thom Tillis of North Carolina is also trailing in the polls.

rcp average currently shows Democrat Cal Cunningham favored: Cunningham +3.6

Biden is favored in NC by a slim margin of +0.9, a race where Tillis does not want to alienate the middle.

Republican Senators Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Mitt Romney of Utah have rarely bought into Trump's cult. Either or both of them could vote against even bringing a nomination to the floor.
    Sadly, you are very right in your assessment.

These lying thieves promise their butts off to get elected and then go to Washington and dump on their supporters.

They've been doing it for years. McCain scuttled the debate to talk about the ACA. Refused to allow a discussion about a solution on the flawed ACA. He did this NOT for the American people. He did it because he hated Trump.

Our petty tyrants are pompous and harmful idiots with personal agendas and unethical tactics. Why do these jerks have pensions at regular pay until the day they die?

I'm sick of them and sick of the base line budgeting that have moved our country to the brink of ruin.

They hate Trump because Trump is working to undermine their campaign to install themselves as a class of royalty. I support the President in his opposition to the members of this self appointed ruling class.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Code1211 For This Post:

Earl (09-20-2020)

16. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Old'N'Retired,

Quote Originally Posted by Old'N'Retired View Post
    Sadly, you are very right in your assessment.
    Thank you. I hope so.

These lying thieves promise their butts off to get elected and then go to Washington and dump on their supporters.

They've been doing it for years. McCain scuttled the debate to talk about the ACA. Refused to allow a discussion about a solution on the flawed ACA. He did this NOT for the American people. He did it because he hated Trump.
    That's debatable. That image of McCain giving the thumb's down was a great moment in American politics. McCain crossed the isle frequently. He understood the detente, the beauty of our system which requires mutual respect and negotiation between the two parties. Newt Gingrich's scorched Earth policy destroyed Americanism.

Our petty tyrants are pompous and harmful idiots with personal agendas and unethical tactics. Why do these jerks have pensions at regular pay until the day they die?
    I think it is fair that they be rewarded for their dedication to America. It's not an easy job. They have to put themselves out there for public scrutiny, give up their private life. That's more than most people are willing to do.

I'm sick of them and sick of the base line budgeting that have moved our country to the brink of ruin.
    Becoming a politician in ancient Athens was pretty much the kiss of death. Few sought it then.

They hate Trump because Trump is working to undermine their campaign to install themselves as a class of royalty. I support the President in his opposition to the members of this self appointed ruling class.
    One ruling class or another. It's just two flavors of the same toxin.

That's why we need to institute the American Anti-Corruption Act.

Don't like Congress? Here's how we the people can fix it.

Have a look at this bipartisan proposal. It's no quick fix, but it shows the best promise of fixing Congress:

1 Stop political bribery

Make it illegal for politicians to take money from lobbyists.
    Politicians get extraordinary sums of money in the form of campaign donations from the special interests who lobby them. In return, politicians create laws favorable to these special interests – even when those laws hurt voters.

Under the American Anti-Corruption Act, people who get paid to lobby cannot donate to politicians.

Ban lobbyist bundling.
    Lobbyists regularly bundle together big contributions from their friends and colleagues and deliver them in one lump sum to politicians. This turns lobbyists into major fundraisers, giving politicians an incentive to keep them happy by working political favors.

The Act prohibits lobbyists from bundling contributions.

Close the revolving door.
    Lobbyists and special interests routinely offer public officials high-paying lobbying jobs. Politicians and their staff routinely move straight from government to these lucrative lobbying jobs, where they get paid to influence their former colleagues.

The Act stops elected representatives and senior staff from selling off their government power for high-paying lobbying jobs, prohibits them from negotiating jobs while in office, and bars them from paid lobbying activity for several years once they leave.

Prevent politicians from fundraising during working hours.
    Most federal politicians spend between 3 and 7 hours a day fundraising from big donors instead of working on issues that matter to voters.

Under the Act, politicians are prevented from raising money during the workday, when they should be serving their constituents.

2 End Secret Money

Immediately disclose political money online.
    Current disclosure laws are outdated and broken. Many donations are not disclosed for months, and some are never made available electronically, making it difficult for citizens and journalists to follow the money in our political system.

The Anti-Corruption Act ensures that all significant political fundraising and spending is immediately disclosed online and made easily accessible to the public.

Stop donors from hiding behind secret-money groups.
    Elections are being flooded with big money funneled through groups with secret donors. These secretive groups spend money directly to influence elections and make unlimited contributions to super PACs, which run ads to elect and defeat candidates.

Under the Act, any organization that spends meaningful funds on political advertisements is required to file a timely online report disclosing its major donors.

3 Fix Our Broken Elections

End gerrymandering.
    Politicians are intentionally drawing the lines around voters in order to guarantee their own re-election and give their political party an unfair advantage.

The Anti-Corruption Act ends gerrymandering by creating independent, fully transparent redistricting commissions that follow strict guidelines to ensure accurate representation for all voters, regardless of political party.

Let all voters participate in open primaries.
    By controlling the primaries, the political establishment controls which candidates we can vote on.

The Act makes all candidates for the same office compete in a single, open primary controlled by voters, not the political establishment. This gives voters more control over our elections and more choices at the ballot.

Let voters rank their top candidates, avoid “spoilers.”
    Outdated voting systems force voters to choose between the “lesser of two evils” at the ballot box or vote for a “spoiler” candidate.

Under the Act, voters can rank their top candidates, allowing them to support their top choice without fear of inadvertently helping elect the other party’s candidate. If their top choice isn’t going to win, their vote transfers to their second choice, and so on. This makes it easier to elect independent-minded candidates who aren’t beholden to establishment special interests.

Automatic voter registration.
    Our voter rolls and registration systems are outdated, error-prone, and costly. New and proven systems can save taxpayer money and ensure that all eligible voters are able to participate on Election Day.

The Act automatically registers all interested eligible voters when they interact with government agencies – whether it’s when they go to the DMV, get a hunting license, apply for food assistance, or sign up for the national guard. Voters can always opt-out from being registered. Information is transmitted electronically and securely to a central source maintained by the state.

Vote at home or at the polls.
    Election Day is a mess. Forcing voters to take time off from work and their families to stand in long lines on a Tuesday is ineffective, insecure, and outdated.

The Act improves voter service by sending ballots to voters at home and allowing them to mail it back on their own timeframe, or drop it off at a professionally-staffed voting center. Voters can still vote in person or receive assistance at a voting center.

Reasonable term limits.
    When elected officials are allowed to become career politicians, our elections become uncompetitive and new ideas have a harder time being heard.

The Act sets reasonable term limits of 18 years total at each level of government, so that candidates focus on public service instead of staying in office.

Change how elections are funded.
    Running a political campaign is expensive, but few Americans can afford to donate to political campaigns. That makes politicians dependent upon – and therefore responsive to – a tiny fraction of special-interest donors.

The Act offers every voter a small credit they can use to make a political donation with no out-of-pocket expense. Candidates and political groups are only eligible to receive these credits if they agree to fundraise solely from small donors. The Act also empowers political action committees that only take donations from small donors, giving everyday people a stronger voice in our elections.

4 Enforce the Rules

Crack down on super PACs.
    As a result of the Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling, the Supreme Court ruled that super PACs can spend unlimited money influencing elections, so long as they do not coordinate directly with candidate campaigns. Since then, there has been tremendous coordination between campaigns and their super PACs, making a mockery of the “independence” the Supreme Court said must exist.

The American Anti-Corruption Act enforces the Supreme Court’s mandate by fixing the rules aimed at preventing and punishing super PAC coordination.

Eliminate lobbyist loopholes.
    The definition of “lobbyist” is weak and outdated. As a result, lobbyists regularly avoid disclosure, and former politicians and their staff can receive big money to influence politicians without formally registering as lobbyists.

The Act prevents lobbyists from skirting the rules by strengthening the definition of lobbying and penalizing lobbyists who fail to register.

Strengthen anti-corruption enforcement.
    Agencies routinely fail to enforce the anti-corruption rules that already exist due to partisan deadlock – and when they are able to act, they often lack the enforcement tools necessary to uphold the law. The result is an elections system where even lax rules can be skirted or broken with impunity.

The Act strengthens enforcement of anti-corruption laws by overhauling the broken Federal Election Commission and giving prosecutors the tools they need to combat corruption."

17. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,258 Times in 51,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Senate Republicans hold 53 Senate seats to Democrats 47. They would need 4 Republicans to cross the isle.

Seems unlikely, but there may be hope. This could get interesting.

Lots of Republican Senators are facing difficult elections where they need to appease the middle to get reelected.

4 is a possibility. Actually 7 is a possibility: Colorado, Maine, Alaska, Utah, North Carolina, and Arizona are all possible to cross the line. Some of these people face difficult decisions which could affect their own chances of reelection

Some Republican Senators are in States where Biden is leading in the polls, setting up a coat-tails effect which threatens their chances at retaining their seats.

Republican Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado:

"Four years ago, Gardner said that a Supreme Court vacancy in February 2016 should not be filled by President Barack Obama because the Democrat was in his final year as president: “I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision,” Gardner said then."

In first appearance after Ginsburg’s death, Gardner declines to say when justice should be replaced

Gardner faces ex Governor John Hickenlooper, who is popular there. Biden is strongly favored in Colorado polling. Biden +10 over Trump.

Republican Senator Martha McSally of Arizona

McSally faces Democrat Mark Kelly, astronaut and husband of Rep Gabby Giffords who was the victim of a well publicized mass shooting attack.

Kelly leads McSally by +6.7

Biden also leads in Arizona: Biden +5.0 (rcp average)

Republican Senator Susan Collins of Maine
    is trailing Democrat Sara Gideon by a strong margin: Gideon +6.2

Biden leads Trump heavily in Maine: Biden +13.8

Republican Senator Thom Tillis of North Carolina is also trailing in the polls.

rcp average currently shows Democrat Cal Cunningham favored: Cunningham +3.6

Biden is favored in NC by a slim margin of +0.9, a race where Tillis does not want to alienate the middle.

Republican Senators Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Mitt Romney of Utah have rarely bought into Trump's cult. Either or both of them could vote against even bringing a nomination to the floor.
    A lot depends upon who Trump picks. RBG was confirmed with a vote of 96 to 3. If Trump actually nominated someone palatable to both sides, it could happen before the Inauguration.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

18. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed on hypocrisy. It's just another reason why most Americans don't trust their own elected leaders.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

20. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Old'N'Retired,

I don't understand how someone can be concerned about the federal budget and support Trump.

He has been completely irresponsible with debt his entire life, and his treatment of the federal budget reflects that.

His tax cut for the rich failed to generate sufficient revenue to support the cut, and it ran the debt up by 2 trillion.

Sure. An economy is going to benefit from having money pumped into it by bleeding the federal government, but that kind of policy is not sustainable. It can't last like that. Sooner or later you have to collect enough taxes to pay for government.

It is irresponsible to cut taxes when the economy is doing well.

You certainly cannot pay down the debt during a recession, so it has to be done when the economy is doing well. Simple math, with a lot of zeroes added on.

You know, a billion here, a billion there, pretty soon we're talking about pretty big money.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

22. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,628 Times in 4,421 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 179 Posts

That hypocrisy comes equally from both sides. The issue of being an election year, how close to the election, or how many appointments a president can have is all just political rhetoric made up by the two parties.

The issue is simple. Can a party get a nominee appointed and confirmed or can it block the other party? They will both use the method and argument to achieve that goal which is the entire purpose of winning a majority.

23. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

Republicans should have confirmed Garland, but that ship has sailed. They didn't, so a precedent has been set. They made their own bed, now they need to sleep in it.

Trying to have it both ways just shows the American public how unprincipled they truly are. They can be bought. They are addicted to power, can't quit, have no values. They need to be replaced.
    They didn't set any precedent that can't be changed. Parties exist to gain power, not principles. They have both reversed their positions on this issue just like they did on filibusters, nuclear option.....

24. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They didn't set any precedent that can't be changed. Parties exist to gain power, not principles. They have both reversed their positions on this issue just like they did on filibusters, nuclear option.....
    If that is true, then parties are pure evil since they are completely lacking in principles.

Agreed both parties are full of hypocrites.

25. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    If that is true, then parties are pure evil since they are completely lacking in principles.

Agreed both parties are full of hypocrites.
    Not pure evil--they are a way to organize government and elections and gain power. They are willing to change their principles in order to win and because times change. Republicans would be silly to still be running on anti-slavery. They are willing to put party above principle.

It is not evil, but Americans find power distasteful. And, we change our views based on what is good for our side.

1. You don't see many Republicans wanting to wait to choose the SC replacement until after the election or Democrats wanting it completed before the election. Those views are not based on principle.

2. You don't see many Republicans believing Anita Hill or Ford on sexual harassment and you don't see many Democrats believe the sexual accusations against Biden or Clinton (except Monica). Whether we believe the women involved has nothing to do with their veracity but our party affiliation.

The hypocrisy is as much with the public as the parties.