Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin Fired Prop Gun That Killed Halyna Hutchins, Injured Director

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,031 Times in 8,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Im not familar with movie prop procedure but why would any idiot put a real bullet in a prop gun.they should not be capable of firing .
    It was done for a closeup of the bullet. The director wanted to do a closeup of a real bullet in the revolver. It was supposed to be a real bullet, without any powder or primer to propel it forward, and so safe to point at the camera.

Prop guns are often completely capable of firing. This prop gun in particular was a completely real gun, along with being a prop. With a real bullet and powder in it, it would kill like any other gun. The intention while filming was not to have both in the gun at the same time.

I have never worked in film making, but I have many friends who have. This is all common stuff, done often. In Lee's case, the props people just got really careless. It is too early to tell what happened in the Baldwin case, but given common responsibility, it would be the props people's fault.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    There are many things I do not know, but I am very good at knowing what I do not know. You and RB think you are experts on everything, but really know very little.
    Physician heal thyself.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    And yes, blanks can be dangerous.
    Which is why props people have to work so hard to make sure they are not dangerous. In Lee's case, they did not do their work, and Lee died.

There are a large number of jobs in filmmaking like that. Stunts people do stunts that should be dangerous, but if done right are not dangerous. The point is to make it look like an incredibly dangerous situation, but it not be one.

I reload for everything I shoot, so understanding pressures is very important so I don't blow up my firearms.
    Actors take care of acting. Props people, special effects people, and stunt people take care of understanding pressures and other things. If they fail, then people die. If they do not try hard enough to succeed, they are guilty of a crime.

4. #34 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,522 Times in 16,980 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

It was done for a closeup of the bullet. The director wanted to do a closeup of a real bullet in the revolver. It was supposed to be a real bullet, without any powder or primer to propel it forward, and so safe to point at the camera.

Prop guns are often completely capable of firing. This prop gun in particular was a completely real gun, along with being a prop. With a real bullet and powder in it, it would kill like any other gun. The intention while filming was not to have both in the gun at the same time.

I have never worked in film making, but I have many friends who have. This is all common stuff, done often. In Lee's case, the props people just got really careless. It is too early to tell what happened in the Baldwin case, but given common responsibility, it would be the props people's fault.
    Which comes to question why anyone would put a bullet in a cartridge without powder and just a primer. Anyone with even a hint of firearms knowledge would know to never seat a bullet on just a primer. There is also the fact that under load of a bullet, there is a very distinct and different sound if a bullet is fired and propelled with just a primer, especially if it lodges in the barrel. That would surely raise red flags.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Which is why props people have to work so hard to make sure they are not dangerous. In Lee's case, they did not do their work, and Lee died.

There are a large number of jobs in filmmaking like that. Stunts people do stunts that should be dangerous, but if done right are not dangerous. The point is to make it look like an incredibly dangerous situation, but it not be one.

Actors take care of acting. Props people, special effects people, and stunt people take care of understanding pressures and other things. If they fail, then people die. If they do not try hard enough to succeed, they are guilty of a crime.
    There was no excuse for a bullet to even be on that set and you know it. Stop being a fucktard.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

Matt Dillon (10-24-2021)

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Which comes to question why anyone would put a bullet in a cartridge without powder and just a primer.
    The prop people were supposed to remove both the powder and the primer. It was supposed to be a bullet with nothing to propel itself. That would be called a dummy bullet.

In this case, it was to show a closeup of Massee pointing a revolver with a bullet in it, and pulling the trigger. The next shot was to show Massee from further away shooting Lee. The next shot was not to be close up, and was to have no bullet, but having the powder exploding.

Anyone with even a hint of firearms knowledge would know to never seat a bullet on just a primer.
    The primer was supposed to be removed. It was the primer that forced the bullet into the barrel in what is called a squib load.

But again, Massee, the actor, did not know any of this. He was doing actions that under any other situation would have been considered unsafe, but were necessary for shooting a movie. The props people were supposed to make sure that it was all safely done.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    There was no excuse for a bullet to even be on that set and you know it. Stop being a fucktard.
    Yep. Most people would never notice a spent primer over a live one while watching a movie. Seat the bullet on a cartridge with a spent primer if "realism" is the object and all is good.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Matt Dillon (10-24-2021)

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,031 Times in 12,561 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is a piece of work.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    I do not even know where to begin. You are clearly just trying to waste my time with stupidity. Dummy rounds are on sets all the time. Real guns are on sets all the time. Even fully fireable bullets are on sets all the time.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The prop people were supposed to remove both the powder and the primer. It was supposed to be a bullet with nothing to propel itself. That would be called a dummy bullet.

In this case, it was to show a closeup of Massee pointing a revolver with a bullet in it, and pulling the trigger. The next shot was to show Massee from further away shooting Lee. The next shot was not to be close up, and was to have no bullet, but having the powder exploding.

The primer was supposed to be removed. It was the primer that forced the bullet into the barrel in what is called a squib load.

But again, Massee, the actor, did not know any of this. He was doing actions that under any other situation would have been considered unsafe, but were necessary for shooting a movie. The props people were supposed to make sure that it was all safely done.
    What you are suggesting is that the prop people had access to reloading equipment. I find that doubtful. You need a press, primer removal die with pin to remove a primer.

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I do not even know where to begin. You are clearly just trying to waste my time with stupidity. Dummy rounds are on sets all the time. Real guns are on sets all the time. Even fully fireable bullets are on sets all the time.
    No, not really. Just trying to give you a little understanding of firearms and ammo. Believe what you want, but it's the person handling the firearm to ultimately make sure it is safely used. Period.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I felt that way about you 2 years ago. You're a dumb motherfucker.

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What you are suggesting is that the prop people had access to reloading equipment. I find that doubtful. You need a press, primer removal die with pin to remove a primer.
    This is what firearms props people do. They get all the right equipment, and the right training, and they do their job. Do I know how to do their job? No, but I do know they do their job so well that it is rare anyone dies.

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This is what firearms props people do. They get all the right equipment, and the right training, and they do their job. Do I know how to do their job? No, but I do know they do their job so well that it is rare anyone dies.
    No, you don't know shit about their job.

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, not really. Just trying to give you a little understanding of firearms and ammo. Believe what you want, but it's the person handling the firearm to ultimately make sure it is safely used. Period.
    Literally four minutes ago, you were claiming that firearm props people do not have enough training to make dummy bullets, and now you are demanding actors with absolutely no training make them? This is just silly.