Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: College Football season is almost here!

1. #226 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

2. #227 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,035 Times in 13,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Which means the CFP would completely lose its relevance with 3/4 of the Country and the TV ratings would tank.

That might actually have been good but that changes with realignment. One thing that will stay the same is the American public will still not have a true national championship game in College Football as it will still remain a national championship by proxy. The vast majority of the public want an NFL style playoff. Where conference championships are the deciding. It’s the only fair, equitable and rational way to do it and the crazy part is everyone knows it.
    How would TV rankings tank when a USC entry would bring in not only the LA market but the entire west coast who never had a reason to watch previously?

A playoff in college football as basketball enjoys is a near impossibility, it would involve an extra three or four games at a minimum, and only a few teams currently playing have that kind of depth

3. #228 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Your head is still up yo' BAMA REDNECK ass!

Easy RIDE MY ASS!

I am sick of you BAMA SE SHITHEADS always playin' down other divisions!

Texas, a team still in transition, almost beat your ass at home, came down to the last second of play, and TENNESSEE whooped your asses like a CRIMSON RED-HEADED stepchild! Even little LSU left your dicks in the dirt!

If anyone had an easy ride this year, AND EVERY YEAR- it was ALABAMA! Nick Sabin has more excuses than Hershall Walker!

Utah State! LOL! LA Monroe- LOL! Vanderbilt? HAHAHAHA! MS State- You gotta be kidding! Austin Peay? Hilarious!

You should probably just shut the fuck up LOSER!

Your best days are behind you now!
    Ah, I have never even recognized Alabama as a legitimate college football team, always considered, and expressed the opinion here, that is was always semipro program, so I think your post is intended for the originator of this thread, who has not so mysteriously disappeared some time ago

4. #229 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    TCU? how about USC?

Wait till they go with eight teams, it will be asking for college teams to extend their season three more games, good luck with the non money schools who just wouldn’t have the depth to add on three tough games at the end of the year
    Today is the one year anniversary of the hiring of Lincoln Riley. What a glorious day that was. This year has been like playing with house money. I thought we would lose 3 - 4 games (and it's still possible we could) and have far exceeded all expectations. I'll be in Vegas Friday for the game against Utah. They are well coached, have a heck of a team and already beat us. They also are a different team when not at home.

And since college football has basically instituted free agency, and everything happens behind the scenes, word is we will be doing quite well in the portal this off season. You laughed at me for years when I said we were a sleeping giant. Now it's happening.

(Since this is a political board I'm going to get meet Rick Caruso at the game through my best friend. He just lost the LA Mayor's race but he was integral in helping to bring Riley to LA as Chairman of the Board of Trustees. Looking forward to it.)

5. #230 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,167 Times in 7,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Ah, I have never even recognized Alabama as a legitimate college football team, always considered, and expressed the opinion here, that is was always semipro program, so I think your post is intended for the originator of this thread, who has not so mysteriously disappeared some time ago
    Dear Sir, you are absolutely right! I did confuse you with the OP!

Please accept my most sincere apology.

6. #231 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Today is the one year anniversary of the hiring of Lincoln Riley. What a glorious day that was. This year has been like playing with house money. I thought we would lose 3 - 4 games (and it's still possible we could) and have far exceeded all expectations. I'll be in Vegas Friday for the game against Utah. They are well coached, have a heck of a team and already beat us. They also are a different team when not at home.

And since college football has basically instituted free agency, and everything happens behind the scenes, word is we will be doing quite well in the portal this off season. You laughed at me for years when I said we were a sleeping giant. Now it's happening.

(Since this is a political board I'm going to get meet Rick Caruso at the game through my best friend. He just lost the LA Mayor's race but he was integral in helping to bring Riley to LA as Chairman of the Board of Trustees. Looking forward to it.)
    Just goes to confirm my initial point, you want a better team, just go buy one, money dictates how well you will do, my mistake was thinking USC had more integrity, weren’t in the same class as the Alabamas, my bad

7. #232 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Yale 19, Harvard 14. Tough day in Beantown.

That was November 19.

There's still college football after that? Why?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

8. #233 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Just goes to confirm my initial point, you want a better team, just go buy one, money dictates how well you will do, my mistake was thinking USC had more integrity, weren’t in the same class as the Alabamas, my bad
    Hahahaha. It's ok man, I actually grew up hating USC as well. So I understand your bitterness here and hiding behind the buying of players.

Let's check the boxes: a blue blood in college football, a Top 25 academic University, located in the heart of the second largest City in the U.S., located in the entertainment capital of the country, located near some of the most natural beauty in the country as well as some of the best looking women in the country. But the only reason people want to go to school/play here is because they are being paid?

Again, hahahahaha.

But from a bigger picture. I'll preface my comments by saying we are individuals so being on the right or left politically doesn't mean we have to all think the same way. But for you being a liberal guy I'm kind of shocked your stance here. N.I.L. is all about player empowerment and allowing these kids to participate in the revenue they create. The transfer portal is about player empowerment; why should a coach be able to leave at any time but not a player?

Here's the argument: the old system was set up by the good ole boys where a majority of the players are of color but are not allowed to receive any amount of the millions upon millions of dollars they generate their largely white University. In theory they are being compensated by a free education but the largely white University and largely white coaches practically punish kids who want to focus on academics. So now they are attempting to make it a little more equitable by allowing the players to participate in the revenue generated and giving them more autonomy over where they go.

I prefer the old way, but I'm also more conservative (and according to a number of people, a racist). What's your excuse as a liberal for not supporting this new system?

9. #234 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hahahaha. It's ok man, I actually grew up hating USC as well. So I understand your bitterness here and hiding behind the buying of players.

Let's check the boxes: a blue blood in college football, a Top 25 academic University, located in the heart of the second largest City in the U.S., located in the entertainment capital of the country, located near some of the most natural beauty in the country as well as some of the best looking women in the country. But the only reason people want to go to school/play here is because they are being paid?

Again, hahahahaha.

But from a bigger picture. I'll preface my comments by saying we are individuals so being on the right or left politically doesn't mean we have to all think the same way. But for you being a liberal guy I'm kind of shocked your stance here. N.I.L. is all about player empowerment and allowing these kids to participate in the revenue they create. The transfer portal is about player empowerment; why should a coach be able to leave at any time but not a player?

Here's the argument: the old system was set up by the good ole boys where a majority of the players are of color but are not allowed to receive any amount of the millions upon millions of dollars they generate their largely white University. In theory they are being compensated by a free education but the largely white University and largely white coaches practically punish kids who want to focus on academics. So now they are attempting to make it a little more equitable by allowing the players to participate in the revenue generated and giving them more autonomy over where they go.

I prefer the old way, but I'm also more conservative (and according to a number of people, a racist). What's your excuse as a liberal for not supporting this new system?
    I don’t hate USC, in fact, I don’t have an opinion on them with either way, just thought being a private school competing against State schools they had always exhibited a bit more integrity

Kids from the west coast want to go to USC, no surprise, especially those that couldn’t get into Santford, gives them an opportunity, for now

And I don’t care for the NIL or easy transfer rules cause they will destroy amateur athletics, only a matter time before the teams only association with the school will be name only, you can’t be that naive to think the school won’t take a back seat to appeases the big time sponsors, and sponsors aren’t donors. Soon evolve into the G League on steroids

And the racial rationale is bizarre, the only players who would make out are the superstars, the remainder used, handed down scraps and now without even the education. As I mentioned, allowing players to Unionize would be the solution to the circumstances you described

10. #235 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Apparently you don’t understand the meaning of posting in green.
    I had no idea there was a meaning involved in posting in green.

Actually, I had no idea I was posting in green.

And you are correct, Bama is not going to the playoffs. Nor is Clemson. And Ohio State is probably not making it either.

People kept clamoring for new faces at the top. Now you have them.

11. #236 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

Well let’s see. If LSU wins out you’d have a one loss GA and TN. Don’t forget a two loss AL. The CFP is basically the Alabama Invitational.
    I’m kinda thinking LSU, Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama all in.
    I did. A post in green means sarcasm.

12. #237 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don’t hate USC, in fact, I don’t have an opinion on them with either way, just thought being a private school competing against State schools they had always exhibited a bit more integrity

Kids from the west coast want to go to USC, no surprise, especially those that couldn’t get into Santford, gives them an opportunity, for now

And I don’t care for the NIL or easy transfer rules cause they will destroy amateur athletics, only a matter time before the teams only association with the school will be name only, you can’t be that naive to think the school won’t take a back seat to appeases the big time sponsors, and sponsors aren’t donors. Soon evolve into the G League on steroids

And the racial rationale is bizarre, the only players who would make out are the superstars, the remainder used, handed down scraps and now without even the education. As I mentioned, allowing players to Unionize would be the solution to the circumstances you described
    There have been books written on this stuff; the cliff notes version being white people will let (largely) black players play and entertain them (while the black bodies and brains take the physical abuse) but will not compensate them nor will they give them positions of power such as being head coaches and A.D.'s. And not only are these (largely) black athletes not getting a piece of the revenue they generate the school is using that revenue to fund other sports programs where black people are far less prevalent and the (largely) white students come from much higher socio-economic backgrounds play them.

Big money boosters have always had power at Universities (not all that different than politics). N.I.L. changes nothing in that regard.

Leaving aside the fact unionizing isn't happening it still wouldn't stop money from coming to the players. You would just be negotiating that the white walk on gets the same amount as what ever Caleb Williams does. That isn't happening.

And how is USC showing a lack of integrity in any way?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

WinterBorn (11-29-2022)

14. #238 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

And you are correct, Bama is not going to the playoffs. Nor is Clemson. And Ohio State is probably not making it either.

People kept clamoring for new faces at the top. Now you have them.
    Now you should understand why Sabin, and several other big name coaches in the SEC, were so against NIL and the transfer portal, now others can do above board what Sabin has been doing out of sight for years.

As I tried to tell you last year, the NIL was the beginning of the end of Alabama dominance, those car dealers in Tuscaloosa can’t compete with the money nor position of the “sponsors” elsewhere, USC proves my point

15. #239 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I did. A post in green means sarcasm.
    Never knew that, one of the few things I actually learned on this forum, thanks

16. #240 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There have been books written on this stuff; the cliff notes version being white people will let (largely) black players play and entertain them (while the black bodies and brains take the physical abuse) but will not compensate them nor will they give them positions of power such as being head coaches and A.D.'s. And not only are these (largely) black athletes not getting a piece of the revenue they generate the school is using that revenue to fund other sports programs where black people are far less prevalent and the (largely) white students come from much higher socio-economic backgrounds play them.

Big money boosters have always had power at Universities (not all that different than politics). N.I.L. changes nothing in that regard.

Leaving aside the fact unionizing isn't happening it still wouldn't stop money from coming to the players. You would just be negotiating that the white walk on gets the same amount as what ever Caleb Williams does. That isn't happening.

And how is USC showing a lack of integrity in any way?
    Heard that argument for decades, the premise is correct, minority athletes are used, but the idea NIL as the remedy is mistaken, it is just an argument to justify turning amateur athletics into the G League using “education” as the rationale

You are correct, boosters have always been present, but boosters aren’t sponsors, they never bought players, only a matter of time before companies become sponsors, players uniforms will some day look like NASCAR cars. Unions can happen, and I believe some day will, not just for the money, but also to insure the promised education

Well, I wouldn’t put them up there with the NorthWesterns, Vanderbilts, Boston College, Stanford, Duke, or other handful of schools that compete but don’t center success on the playing field nor appeasing alumni as a top priority