Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Debate

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    True that. But a mortgage didn't cost what a mortgage does now either. My parents bought for $27,000 and sold for $800,000.

My house cost me about $800k. Don't I have a claim for a free house by the same token?

They signed the note. The note might have been too large, but it was a negotiable instrument with a simple payment due.

I had a client with a side issue. Seems granny wanted to pay for poor little rich girl's Pepperdine education. They asked me to negotiate
    a debt of about 300K. I had a warchest. IOW I could pay it all off lump sum. That's what we had to do because there is no SOL
    on a government loan, and this person was not even in default. She certainly wasn't much of a hardship case. They cut a check for
    balance in full. No wiggle room. Should she have gotten a free Pepperdine education?
    You put in too many zeroes. No mobile home costs $800,000.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,737 Times in 14,332 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Plus it would be an economic stimulus, with an entire generation no longer having to be saddled with debt that delays things like starting a family or buying a home.
    Doesn't that water down the funding? Why not just use a good portion of that money to create public sector jobs?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

3. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I think debt forgiveness is merited. My generation basically went to college for almost next-to-nothing. University of California at the time was about 800 bucks tuition and fees for the whole quarter. Peanuts to pay for a top tier public university.

The millenials are being saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in debt - and thus a serf-like indentured servitude to debt for years on end. That is something us old farts did not have to deal with.

Subsidized or free college, university, or trade school makes eminent sense to me, for a civilized 21st century nation.
    No one is being saddled with debt. Those that have it made the choice to take on the debt.

There's nothing civilized about not holding those that chose something responsible for their choices. Why do want to teach irresponsible behavior?

4. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Bullshit. Even cell phones are free.
    Thanks to trumphones
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    No they won't.

Free of those burdens? For me, it would be nothing but added burden. I shouldn't have to pay for someone else's healthcare, someone else's schooling, someone else's childcare, someone else's student loan debt... etc... Those people brought those things upon themselves; they should have to face the consequences.

Why not? The taxpayer already pays for your health insurance

6. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

True...however, the primary reason older workers don't retire early is because of health care. That would get solved with M4A.

The other main reason older workers don't retire early is because of retirement savings. That gets solved by expanding SS and lowering the eligibility age.

Boomers leaving the workforce creates room for younger generations to advance. It also solves the current labor issue; people have multiple jobs because their primary job doesn't pay enough. Why? Because of legacy workers preventing advancement for younger ones.

Plus, it probably sucks having to work into your 60's and 70's if you're not an executive.
    Hey I'm on board with all of the above,

but withhold judgement based on two things
    the total cost, is it sustainable
    and how will providers react to receiving less monies for services, considerably less I would presume

In theory it is a no-brainer, take it out of my paycheck and there is no cost to me outside of that, it would soon just get washed in with wages expectations

and who doesn't want a better chance at retiring early
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

7. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They voted for Trump because of the racism. I wish everyone would just be honest about it.
    About 30% of his voters did. Many others just wanted tax cuts, abortion bans, and a skewed Supreme Court.

8. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

A motivated hard working go getter can still get a college ed at a public school without mortgaging her future.

But if you pay 100K to go to culinary school I don't have much sympathy. Maybe Stanford isn't in your future,
    but you can have a damn nice future at some lesser in state option, whatever your state.

Stay in state, pick a major with prospects, don't party too hard and hustle your ass. It will work out in the long run.

Oh, and don't fucking have children until you are at least 34 and gainfully employed, and no more than 2.

Lecture over.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Althea (10-16-2019), USFREEDOM911 (10-16-2019)

10. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Thanks to trumphones
    If there are trumphones, they probably don't work right.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Althea (10-16-2019)

12. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,781 Times in 3,068 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Why not? The taxpayer already pays for your health insurance
    No they don't.

I, and my employer, pay for my health insurance.

You aren't paying a single penny for it.

13. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Doesn't that water down the funding? Why not just use a good portion of that money to create public sector jobs?
    You mean jobs where someone draws a check but does little to no work?

14. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    No one is being saddled with debt. Those that have it made the choice to take on the debt.

There's nothing civilized about not holding those that chose something responsible for their choices. Why do want to teach irresponsible behavior?
    It's what they do. No other real explanation.
    Why would anyone reward irresponsible behavior and penalize responsible behavior? I've asked this many times over the yrs. with no logical explanation. It's just what they do.

A scorpion, being a very poor swimmer, asked a turtle to carry him on his back across a river. “Are you

mad?” exclaimed the turtle. “You’ll sting me while I’m swimming and I’ll drown.”

“My dear turtle,” laughed the scorpion, “if I were to sting you, you would drown and I would go down with you. Now where is the logic in that?”

“You’re right!” cried the turtle. “Hop on!” The scorpion climbed aboard and halfway across the river gave the turtle a mighty sting. As they both sank to the bottom, the turtle resignedly said:

“Do you mind if I ask you something? You said there’d be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?”

“It has nothing to do with logic,” the drowning scorpion sadly replied. “It’s just my character.”
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stinging-criticism/
    Last edited by anonymoose; 10-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Bigdog (10-16-2019)

16. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

About 30% of his voters did. Many others just wanted tax cuts, abortion bans, and a skewed Supreme Court.
    Did you take a survey of all voters to come up with that number or did you pull it out of your ass?

17. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    You seem pretty reasonable at times.

Don't fall for this ignorant right wing talking point.

Do you know the origin of where this talking point comes from? It's because it has the word LIBERAL in it. The racist right demonized this degree not only because of the word liberal but they think the arts is nothing more than hippy and homos...………..

It's when good people such as yourself fall for this type of demonization we can't move forward.

Oh and why are you against free tuitition and debt forgiveness?
    Right Wing talking point? I've never heard any of the morons here reference liberal arts degrees. Psych degrees are right ahead of it w/respect to worthlessness. You don't click links, so I don't know how to have this discussion with you. This is one of hundreds of links that show which degrees will pay the worst return.
    I'm against the mindset that you must have a college degree in order to exist in this economy. That's last century's thinking.

I don't believe in throwing good money away, just to give kids a 4 year vacation from life. If they want to create a program of approved fields of study that one can get for 'free', then I might be swayed.

Again...we already have debt forgiveness programs in place. We can do means testing for 'free' tuition, but an across the board program of free tuition doesn't make one bit of sense.

Trade schools? That's a different story.

Most useless degrees

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/10-w...-earn-in-2015/
    Last edited by Althea; 10-16-2019 at 03:49 PM.

18. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    It's what they do. No other real explanation.
    Why would anyone reward irresponsible behavior and penalize responsible behavior? I've asked this many times over the yrs. with no logical explanation. It's just what they do.
    No one forces someone taking on student loans to take those loans. It's a choice. Leftists say they believe in choice yet don't expect those making them to be responsible for the results of doing so.