Thread: Stop teaching morons that Christianity has a monopoly on virtue

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Stop teaching morons that Christianity has a monopoly on virtue

This Marjorie Taylor Greene meltdown reveals an uncomfortable truth about Christianity (msn.com)

“You should practice the basic thing you're taught in church: respect your neighbor,” Dingell shouted. Greene blasted back, “Taught in church, are you kidding me? Try being a Christian and supporting life!" Dingell responded, “You try being a Christian... and try treating your colleagues decently!”
    Dingell thinks being a Christian means being neighborly and civil. Greene thinks being a Christian means attacking anyone who supports abortion rights. But they both agree that being a Christian is morally good, and that Christianity is virtuous.

2. The Following User Groans At Micawber For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-30-2021)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

evince (09-27-2021), Guno צְבִי (09-27-2021), PoliTalker (09-27-2021)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,528 Times in 52,745 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    This Marjorie Taylor Greene meltdown reveals an uncomfortable truth about Christianity (msn.com)

[FONT="]“You should practice the basic thing you're taught in church: respect your neighbor,” Dingell shouted. Greene blasted back, “Taught in church, are you kidding me? Try being a Christian and supporting life!" Dingell responded, “You try being a Christian... and try treating your colleagues decently!”[/FONT]
    Dingell thinks being a Christian means being neighborly and civil. Greene thinks being a Christian means attacking anyone who supports abortion rights. But they both agree that being a Christian is morally good, and that Christianity is virtuous.
    It doesn't sound like either one knows WTF they are bloviating about.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Frank Apisa (09-28-2021), Guno צְבִי (09-27-2021)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It doesn't sound like either one knows WTF they are bloviating about.
    No doubt in Greene's case. But can she really be blamed? The bible condones stonings, human sacrifice and says nothing about the rights of the unborn.

They both seem to be claiming the mantle of Christianity, oblivious that in so doing 1/3 of the population is excluded from their morality pissing match.

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,528 Times in 52,745 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

No doubt in Greene's case. But can she really be blamed? The bible condones stonings, human sacrifice and says nothing about the rights of the unborn.

They both seem to be claiming the mantle of Christianity, oblivious that in so doing 1/3 of the population is excluded from their morality pissing match.
    And for that we are grateful. They do represent the voters who elected them. We can assume that most of them agree with the crazy shit Greene espouses, at least. As for respect, Dingell is right but that ship sank long ago, torpedoed by the ex-Sleaze-in-Chief.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

Sunday Morning Coming Down

On a Sunday morning sidewalk I'm wishing Lord that I was stoned
    Cause there's something in a Sunday makes a body feel alone
    And there's nothing sure to dying half as lonesome as the sound
    On a sleepy city sidewalk Sunday morning coming down

Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt
    And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for desert
    Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes and found my cleanest dirty shirt
    And I shaved my face and combed my hair
    And stumbled down the stair to meet the day
    I'd smoke my brain the night before with cigarettes and songs I'd been a picking
    But I lit my first and watched the small kid cussin' at a can that he was kicking
    Then I crossed the empty street and caught
    The Sunday smell of someone fryin' chicken
    And it took me back to something that I'd lost somewhere somehow along the way
    On a Sunday morning sidewalk

In the park I saw a daddy with the laughing little girl that he was swinging
    And I stopped beside a Sunday school and listened to the songs they were singing
    Then I headed back for home and somewhere far away a lonely bell was ringing
    And it echoed through the canyons like the disappearing dreams of yesterday
    On a Sunday morning sidewalk
    Coming down coming down coming down coming down

Kris Kristofferson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to goat For This Post:

WinterBorn (09-28-2021)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

[FONT="]“You should practice the basic thing you're taught in church: respect your neighbor,” Dingell shouted. Greene blasted back, “Taught in church, are you kidding me? Try being a Christian and supporting life!" Dingell responded, “You try being a Christian... and try treating your colleagues decently!”[/FONT]
    At some point being called a Christian will be seen as an insult.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Christianity is a dead religion. Nothing good in it.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

Christianity is out of date.

There's nothing new in the concept. It was created thousands of years ago when abortion didn't exist.

Trying to fit Christianity into today's world is the problem. It is so old news.

Science continues to provide new answers. Christianity is stuck in the past, a time of lack of answers. Christianity used imagination to try to provide answers which are now being provided by science.

The Earth was not created by a being. Humans evolved from other species. There is no more spirituality to humans than any other life form. There is no afterlife.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

obviously Christianity has no monopoly on virtue.....equally obvious, Dingell doesn't even have the pocket change of virtue.......

like the opening poster, Dingell is only concerned with deciding whether other people qualify to be considered "Christians"......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Callinectes (09-29-2021)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,770 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

“You should practice the basic thing you're taught in church: respect your neighbor,” Dingell shouted. Greene blasted back, “Taught in church, are you kidding me? Try being a Christian and supporting life!" Dingell responded, “You try being a Christian... and try treating your colleagues decently!”
    MTG also believes being a good Christian means having multiple affairs.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    MTG also believes being a good Christian means having multiple affairs.
    do you even have evidence that she considers herself to be a "good" Christian?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

She's one of those fake politicized Christians that think they can get away with appeasing their God by telling others what to do. When it comes time for their own behaviors they are barren of Christian spirit and seethe hypocrisy.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you have some source of morality, I'm fine with it.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Dem's war on religion thread

20. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Stone (09-27-2021)

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you have some source of morality, I'm fine with it.