Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Science Denial Runs Red and Blue

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default Science Denial Runs Red and Blue

I think this is a good way of discussing the dangers of politicizing science. Certainly when the discussion of science denial is brought up it is used pejoratively to accuse conservatives of denying scientific consensus. Teaching evolutionary theory and climate change are probably the big two hot button topic that most are familiar with.

However my readings on many posters in political message boards and listening and reading political polemicist I've found that science denial often has more to do with a person being, not well informed on science or how to evaluate scientific data is or understanding what a scientific consensus is (it's not a popularity contest, that's for sure). I've also found that it has a lot to do with a persons personal politics being ideologically driven. In that respect I find liberals just as guilty of science denial as conservatives are about evolution, astronomy, climate change, gun violence, etc,.

Don't believe me? Talk to a liberal ideologues about vaccinations, gender, GMO Food safety, the evolutionary basis of social behavior, etc,.

Take Gender identity issues. The social theories on gender identity are simply not supported by science. Both sex and gender are binary. That's an established scientific fact which has scientific consensus. GMO Food Safety - The vast majority of peer reviewed literature and most relevant scientific associations have concluded that GMO Foods are safe. The same is true with vaccinations. The scientific consensus is that the benefits of vaccinations far out weigh the risk. Yet many liberals are hostile to these scientific consensus.

This is why as a person educated and trained in science why I'm careful about politicizing science. Often when that happens the facts and the consequences of those facts are relegated to secondary status to what is either politically popular or politically expedient.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. The Following User Groans At Mott the Hoople For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (03-05-2019)

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Aimée (03-06-2019), BRUTALITOPS (03-05-2019), Guno צְבִי (03-06-2019), PoliTalker (03-06-2019), Sailor (03-05-2019), Stretch (03-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-05-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the alt-right Mott.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

5. The Following User Groans At /MSG/ For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (03-05-2019)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (03-05-2019), Minister of Truth (03-05-2019), Mott the Hoople (03-05-2019)

7. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-06-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-05-2019)

9. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I think this is a good way of discussing the dangers of politicizing science. Certainly when the discussion of science denial is brought up it is used pejoratively to accuse conservatives of denying scientific consensus. Teaching evolutionary theory and climate change are probably the big two hot button topic that most are familiar with.

However my readings on many posters in political message boards and listening and reading political polemicist I've found that science denial often has more to do with a person being, not well informed on science or how to evaluate scientific data is or understanding what a scientific consensus is (it's not a popularity contest, that's for sure). I've also found that it has a lot to do with a persons personal politics being ideologically driven. In that respect I find liberals just as guilty of science denial as conservatives are about evolution, astronomy, climate change, gun violence, etc,.

Don't believe me? Talk to a liberal ideologues about vaccinations, gender, GMO Food safety, the evolutionary basis of social behavior, etc,.

Take Gender identity issues. The social theories on gender identity are simply not supported by science. Both sex and gender are binary. That's an established scientific fact which has scientific consensus. GMO Food Safety - The vast majority of peer reviewed literature and most relevant scientific associations have concluded that GMO Foods are safe. The same is true with vaccinations. The scientific consensus is that the benefits of vaccinations far out weigh the risk. Yet many liberals are hostile to these scientific consensus.

This is why as a person educated and trained in science why I'm careful about politicizing science. Often when that happens the facts and the consequences of those facts are relegated to secondary status to what is either politically popular or politically expedient.
    All good insights.

The thing is, I personally do not even know any liberals who are anti-vaxers, and very few who are anti-GMO. I certainly am not, and I think to the extent that kind of science denial exists on the left, it is not ubiquitous, is relatively rare, and is pretty fringe. I also am not aware of any reputable studies that pins anti-vaxers as being a left wing issue. Are there not anti-vaxers on the reich wing?

When it comes to climate denial, evolution denial, creation science, young Earth - those types of denial are widespread and ubiquitous on the right. So it is really not a fair comparison, or fair analogy to compare anti-vaxers to climate deniers. They are orders of magnitude different in proportion and scope. And proportion and scope matter when one talks about public policy and legislative priorities.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-06-2019)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Welcome to the alt-right Mott.
    Well Billy you know how it goes. If the left thinks you're a Nazi and the right thinks you're a communist you're probably in the right of things.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

anonymoose (03-05-2019), Sailor (03-05-2019)

13. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree with you 100%. I don't concern myself much with the whole climate change debate though. What I believe is that if it exists(and I lean toward yes, it does)what can WE do about it? My view is not a damn thing. Especially if it's androgenic. By 2050, science says we'll have 9 billion humans running around this planet, and 10 billion is what they say is "carrying capacity". We're living longer, consuming more stuff(and making a mess of the place while we make more stuff to consume), and constantly looking for ways to live longer so we can continue to make a bigger mess and consume more stuff.
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    two different subjects

is vaccine denial a Democratic party platform issue?
    Excellent question Desh. No it is not. Then again neither is Climate Change for the GOP. They dropped it from their 2016 platform and stated that it's not a pressing national security issue. Which says about as much as it actually being on their platform.

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    All good insights.

The thing is, I personally do not even know any liberals who are anti-vaxers, and very few who are anti-GMO. I certainly am not, and I think to the extent that kind of science denial exists on the left, it is not ubiquitous, is relatively rare, and is pretty fringe. I also am not aware of any reputable studies that pins anti-vaxers as being a left wing issue. Are there not anti-vaxers on the reich wing?

When it comes to climate denial, evolution denial, creation science, young Earth - those types of denial are widespread and ubiquitous on the right. So it is really not a fair comparison, or fair analogy to compare anti-vaxers to climate deniers. They are orders of magnitude different in proportion and scope. And proportion and scope matter when one talks about public policy and legislative priorities.
    I would have to do some research into that but given the low levels of scientific literacy in this nation I'm not optimistic that you are correct. For example, I believe that the lefts stance on denying the binary facts of sex and gender is just as entrenched, pervasive and wrong as those on the right on Climate Change denial.

Having said that the climate change issue is certainly a far more consequential issue.

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Excellent question Desh. No it is not. Then again neither is Climate Change for the GOP. They dropped it from their 2016 platform and stated that it's not a pressing national security issue. Which says about as much as it actually being on their platform.
    Because they want those Chinese green dollars.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-05-2019)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,517 Times in 52,735 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good post, Mott. I agree that both sides sometimes use or abuse science for political purposes. I recall during the 60s and 70s how science was distrusted and feared by many on the left. My dad was a scientist and occasionally ranted about this. At that time, the (R)s were the friends of science and didn't skimp on funding for R&D in dozens of scientific areas, including of course space exploration.

I'm going to take issue with your statement here. "Both sex and gender are binary. That's an established scientific fact which has scientific consensus." This is not true. As we know, in some species gender can be transformed depending on the scarcity or abundance of the opposite sex.

"Clownfish, wrasses, moray eels, gobies[2] and other fish species are known to change sex, including reproductive functions. A school of clownfish is always built into a hierarchy with a female fish at the top. When she dies, the most dominant male changes sex and takes her place.[3] In the wrasses (the family Labridae), sex change is from female to male, with the largest female of the harem changing into a male and taking over the harem upon the disappearance of the previous dominant male. " (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_change)

In many reptiles, sex at birth is determined by the temperature of the egg while incubating. It is not an innate XX/XY given.

As for humans:

"Humans are born with 46 chromosomes in 23 pairs. The X and Y chromosomes determine a person’s sex. Most women are 46XX and most men are 46XY. Research suggests, however, that in a few births per thousand some individuals will be born with a single sex chromosome (45X or 45Y) (sex monosomies) and some with three or more sex chromosomes (47XXX, 47XYY or 47XXY, etc.) (sex polysomies). In addition, some males are born 46XX due to the translocation of a tiny section of the sex determining region of the Y chromosome. Similarly some females are also born 46XY due to mutations in the Y chromosome. Clearly, there are not only females who are XX and males who are XY, but rather, there is a range of chromosome complements, hormone balances, and phenotypic variations that determine sex." (Source: https://www.who.int/genomics/gender/en/index1.html)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (03-05-2019)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 21 Times in 19 Posts

I don't see as many Dems driving SUVs.

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I would have to do some research into that but given the low levels of scientific literacy in this nation I'm not optimistic that you are correct. For example, I believe that the lefts stance on denying the binary facts of sex and gender is just as entrenched, pervasive and wrong as those on the right on Climate Change denial.

Having said that the climate change issue is certainly a far more consequential issue.
    This is anecdotal but Marin County is the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge and is a well educated, economically successful, largely white and very liberal area. It is also home to many anti-vaxers. I can’t explain why that is but it just is.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tff View Post
    I don't see as many Dems driving SUVs.

Where do you live?

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well Billy you know how it goes. If the left thinks you're a Nazi and the right thinks you're a communist you're probably in the right of things.
    that's a ridiculous false equivalency

which end of the political spectrum is flush with domestic terrorists, climate change deniers, anti vaxers, anti bank regulation dolts, and has an absolute hatred for 'the other' - as in of ALL non-white races?

hint, it ain't those on the left

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This is anecdotal but Marin County is the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge and is a well educated, economically successful, largely white and very liberal area. It is also home to many anti-vaxers. I can’t explain why that is but it just is.
    Most of the people in this country that have refused their children the MMR vaccine are middle class professionals.