Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are Christians?

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,288 Times in 27,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBDaMann View Post
    I'm going to ask you to identify two gods referenced in the Dhammapada. I don't remember any gods being mentioned.

For your convenience I have included the Dhammapada (with English translation) here:

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.n...pada/index.htm
    I'm not going to discuss the Dhammapada with someone who hasn't read it and just frantically googled for three minutes trying to compose a "gotcha!" post. This was my experience reading it:

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Done. I finished The Dhammapada in about two hours, it's really not that long to read.

Mara is the Buddhist diety which reminds me of Satan. Mara is a tempter who tries to lead the wise off the path of Liberation.

Buddhism isn't as concerned about good versus evil in the way the Abrahamic religions are. It's not that they don't recognize evil, it's just that it is part of the impermanence of the world, a reality to accept, something to transcend.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's not a requirement to be a Christian. He already professed to acknowledging Jesus as his personal savior.
    That's how the so called Protestants on this board like to excuse their hate and their foul language. But in Paul's epistles, it's made clear that Christians are supposed to emulate the moral example of Jesus

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Religion should be illegal. Encourages people to have contempt for US law.

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,031 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

I'm not going to discuss the Dhammapada ...
    You haven't read it, have you? On the other hand, you know that I've read it because I was able to call bullshit on your error. You are now EVADING because you realize that I have a good understanding of the Dhammapada and that you do not. You are EVADING because you were once again caught trying to roleplay a thmart perthon and we're revealed to be ignorant on the topic. There is a valid reason that you lack credibility.

All you had to do was to identify two gods in the Dhammapada, which you assert is "chock full" of God's and other supernatural entities. You instead rushed to somehow disqualify me from being able to ask any questions.

You're a moron.
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's how the so called Protestants on this board like to excuse their hate and their foul language. But in Paul's epistles, it's made clear that Christians are supposed to emulate the moral example of Jesus
    Would you care to take a guess at what key piece of support you neglected to include in your post?

6. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You haven't read it, have you? On the other hand, you know that I've read it because I was able to call bullshit on your error. You are now EVADING because you realize that I have a good understanding of the Dhammapada and that you do not. You are EVADING because you were once again caught trying to roleplay a thmart perthon and we're revealed to be ignorant on the topic. There is a valid reason that you lack credibility.

All you had to do was to identify two gods in the Dhammapada, which you assert is "chock full" of God's and other supernatural entities. You instead rushed to somehow disqualify me from being able to ask any questions.

You're a moron.
    Obviously you've been duped, because you believed what internet message boarders told you, rather than reading any classical Buddhist scripture for yourself.

There is a clique of Americans on internet forums who wish to present Buddhism as a rational, reasonable, quasi-atheist alternative free of superstition and myth compared to those primitive Abrahamic religions.

Read the Dhammapada for yourself. It is chock full of references to the diety Mara, Hell, Devas, and samsara. All of which sound as fantastical and superstious as anything in the New Testament

7. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obviously you've been duped, because you believed what internet message boarders told you, rather than reading any classical Buddhist scripture for yourself.

There is a clique of Americans on internet forums who wish to present Buddhism as a rational, reasonable, quasi-atheist alternative free of superstition and myth compared to those primitive Abrahamic religions.

Read the Dhammapada for yourself. It is chock full of repeated references to the diety Mara, Hell, Devas, and samsara. All of which sound as fantastical and superstious as anything in the New Testament
    There are many kinds of Buddhism.

8. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    There are many kinds of Buddhism.
    You've never allowed christians to make that claim, you lump them in one basket.

The Dhammapada is widely considered a classical and revered Buddhist scripture. It is a fair representation of world Buddhism

9. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You've never allowed christians to make that claim, you lump them in one basket.

The Dhammapada is widely considered a classical and revered Buddhist scripture. It is a fair representation of world Buddhism
    I have no idea what that book is and do not care.

10. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm going to ask you to identify two gods referenced in the Dhammapada. I don't remember any gods being mentioned.

For your convenience I have included the Dhammapada (with English translation) here:

You are a troll who just wasted ten minutes of my time.

The translation of the Dhammapada I looked at by Ānandajoti Bhikkhu has 22 references to god and over 40 references to the trickster diety Mara.

I accept your confession in advance that I was 200 percent correct. From now on, my default posture will be that you are a troll poster.

There are ten references to hell in my translation of the Dhammapada from the library, one reference to Maghavan (Indra), two references to Gandharva, one reference to Brahman, and over 40 references to Mara.

"Some people are born again; evil-doers go to hell; righteous people go to heaven; those who are free from all worldly desire attain Nirvana "

--> The Dhammapada, The Essential Teachings of the Buddha

Published by General Press, New Delhi India, 2019
    Last edited by Cypress; 04-22-2023 at 01:14 PM.

11. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are a troll who just wasted ten minutes of my time.

The translation of the Dhammapada I looked at by Ānandajoti Bhikkhu has 22 references to god and over 40 references to the trickster diety Mara.

I accept your confession in advance that I was 200 percent correct. From now on, my default posture will be that you are a troll poster.
    There are ten references to hell in my translation of the Dhammapada.

"Some people are born again; evil-doers go to hell; righteous people go to heaven; those who are free from all worldly desire attain Nirvana "

--> The Dhammapada, The Essential Teachings of the Buddha

Published by General Press, New Delhi India, 2019

12. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not going to discuss the Dhammapada with someone who hasn't read it and just frantically googled for three minutes trying to compose a "gotcha!" post. This was my experience reading it:

You're a moron.
    You are a troll who just wasted ten minutes of my time. The translation of the Dhammapada I looked at by Ānandajoti Bhikkhu has 22 references to god and over 40 references to the trickster diety Mara.
    There are ten references to hell in my translation of the Dhammapada.
    This is where you identify two gods referenced in the Dhammapada and throw it all in my face. For your convenience I have included the Dhammapada (with English translation) here:
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

13. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This is where you identify two gods referenced in the Dhammapada and throw it all in my face. For your convenience I have included the Dhammapada (with English translation) here:
    More than two gods, and multiple references to Hell.
    https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...16#post5596516

Next time you want to compose a "gotcha!" post, you can't do it out of ignorance, and you can't base it on three minutes of frantically googling for tidbits of info.

14. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Religion should be illegal. Encourages people to have contempt for US law.
    At least you were honest long enough to reveal your true thoughts on the 1st Amendment.

15. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

At least you were honest long enough to reveal your true thoughts on the 1st Amendment.
    Little of what you write makes sense. Are you an alcoholic or on meth?