1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Why Paying Taxes Is a Good Thing

I don't mind paying taxes.

We can't have a country without paying taxes.

It's no fun to pay taxes, of course, because you don't get any instant gratification.

And we sure do love our instant gratification.

No, paying taxes is definitely an example of delayed gratification.

And that can be sweeter.

I like being an American. America is a great country. Paying taxes makes America possible.

So I don't mind paying taxes.

We need to think about that once in a while.

Too few people do.

The Secret Origins Of The TEA Party Movement.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (06-23-2022), signalmankenneth (06-23-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

if paying taxes is a great thing, why do you deprive half the taxpayers in the country their chance at doing this great thing?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Celticguy (06-23-2022), Matt Dillon (06-23-2022), Sawyerloggingon (06-24-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

America, we have been had by the super-rich.

Koch brothers and big tobacco created a well-funded campaign to spread propaganda and whip up hatred for taxes in America, with an aim to take over one of the political parties to spread mistruths, gain power and enhance their own profits.

Just think.

All of the politicized hatred in America was foisted upon us on purpose out of greed.

How sick.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you have to ask yourself:

"Do I like being an American?"

If the answer is yes, then paying taxes is what makes it happen.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I kind of like being an American and feeling like I can count on America to keep on being America.

I know it is a mistake to take it for granted. We see a lot of that. Too much of that. America could go away, if we are not careful.

I see those Ukrainian refugees and I see people that look a lot like us. They have nice cars, nice clothes. Cell phones. And just what they can carry. Their homes are gone. The lives they knew are over. Now they have misery. Too many people take our cushy American life for granted. They think patriotism is waving flags and being selfish, expressing hatred.

We have a lot of admiration for our nation's founders and the amazing Constitution they left us with.

But the work they did is ongoing.

It now falls on us to protect America.

We don't do that by hating other Americans or hating taking care of our country by paying taxes.

That would be an example of being stupidly selfish.

The founders were not so, and we can't be like that either.

We have too much of that going on.

We need more people to truly appreciate what we have.

Paying taxes keeps America America!

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It makes paying taxes far more tolerable if you think about what you're really paying for.

You're paying to keep America going.

And America is a good thing to keep going.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,447 Times in 52,463 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    America, we have been had by the super-rich.

Koch brothers and big tobacco created a well-funded campaign to spread propaganda and whip up hatred for taxes in America, with an aim to take over one of the political parties to spread mistruths, gain power and enhance their own profits.

Just think.

All of the politicized hatred in America was foisted upon us on purpose out of greed.

How sick.
    Americans have always hated paying taxes, but as your OP touches upon, taxes are a necessity to an extent. It's not just paying taxes that is the problem, but how those taxes are spent.

There are Democrats and Liberals on this forum who keep pointing out some states take more Federal tax dollars than they pay. There are several reasons for this, but the point they are making is to cut off those states they don't like by weaponizing paying out tax dollars.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Flash (06-23-2022), Sawyerloggingon (06-24-2022)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

taxes cannot be avoided and no one suggests that they be zero.

the issue is what taxes are spent on.

The Framers made it very clear what the business of the federal government was, that is to say what things it needed to do and "doing" almost always involves spending some money. Much the same thing applies to state and local.

How taxes are spent is where things get dicey between citizens.

Additionally there is the matter of spending money government does not have.

Citizens have very different views about this.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Sawyerloggingon (06-24-2022)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Americans have always hated paying taxes, but as your OP touches upon, taxes are a necessity to an extent. It's not just paying taxes that is the problem, but how those taxes are spent.

There are Democrats and Liberals on this forum who keep pointing out some states take more Federal tax dollars than they pay. There are several reasons for this, but the point they are making is to cut off those states they don't like by weaponizing paying out tax dollars.
    I think it's a pretty good country and it has to have money to run.

There is no way government is going to please everybody with how the money gets spent.

Anybody who thinks they are every going to get everything they want is just fooling themselves.

Everyone should expect to see something they object to.

Some people just don't get that.

They think they should be the one to get everything their way.

Dumb!

And if they don't get it they are going to throw a giant hissy fit.

Can't compromise.

Dumb.

And really what they are doing is the dirty work of the super-rich who fund all these think tanks, legislative groups, fund all this propaganda to get voters to do what the rich want (and actually vote against the voters' best interest - dumdumb!)

Then they get a bunch of Republicans elected and the first thing they do is another tax cut for the rich.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-23-2022)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,447 Times in 52,463 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

I think it's a pretty good country and it has to have money to run.

There is no way government is going to please everybody with how the money gets spent.

Anybody who thinks they are every going to get everything they want is just fooling themselves.

Everyone should expect to see something they object to.

Some people just don't get that.

They think they should be the one to get everything their way.

Dumb!

And if they don't get it they are going to throw a giant hissy fit.

Can't compromise.

Dumb.

And really what they are doing is the dirty work of the super-rich who fund all these think tanks, legislative groups, fund all this propaganda to get voters to do what the rich want (and actually vote against the voters' best interest - dumdumb!)

Then they get a bunch of Republicans elected and the first thing they do is another tax cut for the rich.
    Tax cuts for the rich then jacking up the national debt is where the Republican party derailed where taxes are considered.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If the super-rich really wanted to reduce the government deficit we wouldn't even have one.

We'd have a surplus.

The debt would be lower every year.

The Super-Rich get what they want.

And there are not enough of them to vote for it all by themselves.

They get Republicans to do it.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,764 Times in 27,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,589 Times in 18,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    if paying taxes is a great thing, why do you deprive half the taxpayers in the country their chance at doing this great thing?.....
    Sells taxes?

You are a fucking idiot

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Dutch, did ya read the article?

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,764 Times in 27,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,589 Times in 18,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

If the super-rich really wanted to reduce the government deficit we wouldn't even have one.

We'd have a surplus.

The debt would be lower every year.

The Super-Rich get what they want.

And there are not enough of them to vote for it all by themselves.

They get Republicans to do it.

Every corporation owes debt

Debt is a tool

They want the federal and state government to not take on debt because that keeps them small and overrun able for the corps

Idiot buy this stupid debate side because ……. Well … because they are idiots

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

All this 'small government' baloney began with the super-rich wanting a tax cut.

Guaranteed!

'Oh! They are taking away your freedoms! Oh, how horrible! Better vote for Republicans so the super-rich can have another tax cut.'

'If the debt goes up it won't be because the super-rich aren't paying as much taxes. It will be because of Democrats...'

'Look at what happened last time. We did a big tax cut for the rich, Democrats took over, and now the debt is going up. It's all their fault.'

'We want the two parties bitterly hating each other because if they ever ganged up on us, we'd have to pay taxes like we are super-rich and can easily afford it and need to actually pay for this great country that secures our ability to get so rich.'

Yeah, like, if Republicans ever figured out how they are being had so bad and actually taxed the rich more? America would be greater.

Democrats are ready to do that any time.

Except maybe Joe Mansion and a few others...

Yeah, I spelled it like that on purpose.