Thread: Watching the Jan. 6 hearings is a must to preserve democracy

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,168 Times in 5,906 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Default Watching the Jan. 6 hearings is a must to preserve democracy

Watching the Jan. 6 hearings is a must to preserve democracy
    Millions of Americans who have watched the four hearings held so far have learned, from stunning and frightening testimony, about the deep roots of the Big Lie and the corrupt plot to keep the president in power, any cost to the country be damned.

https://apple.news/A4uShVjEIRmyiTUEoXxsoLA

Every American, especially those who have not yet done so, should make the time to watch the televised hearings of the bipartisan House Select Committee to Investigate the Jan. 6th attack.
    On Thursday, U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., is scheduled to lead the fifth hearing, which will focus on then-President Donald Trump’s pressure campaign on the Justice Department to help advance his Big Lie and overturn the 2020 presidential election he lost by a wide margin.
    Millions of Americans who have watched the four hearings held so far have learned, from stunning and frightening testimony, about the deep roots of the Big Lie and the corrupt plot to keep the president in power, any cost to the country be damned.
    The violent attack on our Capitol was just the tip of a much bigger, potentially more threatening, iceberg.
    It’s a civics education that all of us have a duty to pay attention to. That’s especially the case now that new evidence has reportedly emerged, additional hearings may be in the works beyond those already planned, more subpoenas are being issued by the Justice Department and threats against lawmakers on the committee are on the rise.
    The first hearing on June 9, held in prime time, drew a huge audience of 20 million viewers. The numbers reportedly have declined since, which is why we’re making note of the fact that replays of the testimony can be found online. There’s no excuse for not watching.
    A shrug and a “It’s over, it’s old news, they didn’t succeed, what about gas prices and inflation?” simply won’t cut it. Not if we want to preserve and strengthen our democracy.
    No one should doubt the ongoing threat. Not when staunch conservatives such as retired federal judge J. Michael Luttig tell the select committee that Trump and his allies pose a “clear and present danger” to American democracy.
    Then there’s Kinzinger, who had enough integrity to repudiate Trump for his clear — perhaps criminal — role in fomenting the Jan. 6 attack. Yet what did Kinzinger get for showing basic decency and living up to his oath of office? A letter with vile, sickening death threats against him and his family.
    A recent poll showed that nearly 6 in 10 — 58% — of Americans believe Trump should face criminal charges for his role in Jan. 6. That percentage is up slightly from polls taken before the hearings.
    No one, except perhaps Attorney General Merrick Garland himself, can say yet whether Trump and those who aided and abetted his plot to stay in power will be held accountable in a court of law.
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-23-2022), evince (06-23-2022), LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,530 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, most folks aren't watching. What do you plan to do about that?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Into the Night (06-23-2022), Sawyerloggingon (06-25-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Say what you want, but I just posted an article from GOP pollster Frank Luntz that shows the hearings are having an effect.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

evince (06-23-2022), LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Say what you want, but I just posted an article from GOP pollster Frank Luntz that shows the hearings are having an effect.
    And I still point out that most folks are not watching these hearings, which is a fact. I then asked you a simple question which you did not answer... What do you plan to do about that?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Into the Night (06-23-2022)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,956 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lionfish For This Post:

Callinectes (06-23-2022), Into the Night (06-23-2022)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And I still point out that most folks are not watching these hearings, which is a fact. I then asked you a simple question which you did not answer... What do you plan to do about that?
    Yes, most are not directly watching the hearings, but you cant avoid watching video clips on local and national news casts, as well as constant newspaper articles. Even Fox has gotten on the bandwagon:

https://www.rawstory.com/fox-news-impeachment-hearings/

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

AProudLefty (06-23-2022), evince (06-23-2022), LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, most are not directly watching the hearings, but you cant avoid watching video clips on local and national news casts, as well as constant newspaper articles. Even Fox has gotten on the bandwagon:

https://www.rawstory.com/fox-news-impeachment-hearings/
    Fox was doing that from the beginning. It was literally what you were all upset over, that they were going to cover it after the show rather than live. Most folks are not going to watch these hearings that this person says is your "civic duty" to watch and that it will "save democracy" and that you personally must watch to "save democracy"... My question is: What do you plan to do about the fact that most folks will not watch?
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Callinectes (06-23-2022), Into the Night (06-23-2022), Lionfish (06-23-2022)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Fox was doing that from the beginning. It was literally what you were all upset over, that they were going to cover it after the show rather than live. Most folks are not going to watch these hearings that this person says is your "civic duty" to watch and that it will "save democracy" and that you personally must watch to "save democracy"... My question is: What do you plan to do about the fact that most folks will not watch?
    I am going to watch the country finally turn against this monster, who is out to destroy our Democracy. The sad part is that Trump is supported through lies and misinformation by this entire board.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

evince (06-23-2022), LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am going to watch the country finally turn against this monster, who is out to destroy our Democracy. The sad part is that Trump is supported through lies and misinformation by this entire board.
    LOL. Which still doesn't answer my question. I get that you don't like Trump (I don't either for that matter), the OP told us WATCHING would SAVE DEMOCRACY. If most folks will not watch (which most will not) what happens to democracy and what do you plan to do to then "save democracy" if folks will not do what you want them to do?
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

18. The Following User Groans At Damocles For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Callinectes (06-23-2022), Into the Night (06-23-2022)

20. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOL. Which still doesn't answer my question. I get that you don't like Trump (I don't either for that matter), the OP told us WATCHING would SAVE DEMOCRACY. If most folks will not watch (which most will not) what happens to democracy and what do you plan to do to then "save democracy" if folks will not do what you want them to do?
    The best I can do is to make my voice heard.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

christiefan915 (06-23-2022), evince (06-23-2022), LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This current shitshow is nothing more than every other shitshows and all about trying to prevent Trump from running again which I find rather interesting because I believe most Republicans, myself included, hope Trump backs away and lets far better and more popular republicans take the helm. I suspect the lefties better be careful about what they wish for as this could backfire biggley in their collective faces.
    If I were a sane leftie, (sorry for the oxymoron), I would be promoting Trump and encouraging his running again.

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They're watching the news, the late night talk show hosts, social media, all of which are replaying the highlights.
    We've all seen the highlights even if you don't watch it live. I bet even you have. It's all over the news, the internet, social media.
    You can't escape it.

What do you plan to do about that?
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

AProudLefty (06-23-2022), evince (06-23-2022), LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    LyinBitch wets panties over J6C hearings. Fat Donald is going down!!!

Haw, haw............haw

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

27. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    LyinBitch wets panties over J6C hearings. Fat Donald is going down!!!

Haw, haw............haw
    Ask me if I care. I find you paranoid idiots amusing. I have heard from alt lefties like you "Trump is going down" at least two dozen times over the past five years. Sorry for your condition and hope you find peace, or better yet, a piece, as you need something, anything, to calm you down.

28. The Following User Groans At Lionfish For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (06-23-2022)

29. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,750 Times in 33,621 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

They condemn the hearings but the cult leader is now angry that McCarthy didn’t put Republicans on the committee. Trump is worried, these hearings are effective.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

AProudLefty (06-23-2022), christiefan915 (06-23-2022), LurchAddams (06-23-2022)