Thread: Corona Virus Peak Watch Thread

1. #1096 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth,

Humans are a factor. When humans act in a coordinated way, they can affect the outcome.

I notice you never comment on Taiwan. A perfect example of humans acting in a coordinated way to affect the outcome.
    What is the population of Taiwan? How many ports of entry do they have? How many cities with populations over one million?

You can’t expect the same outcome everywhere. You see where DeSantis is getting ready to relax FL nursing home visitation standards because their numbers are improving?

There appears to be a trend where one state or region ‘gets hot’; numbers peak, level off then start to drop. Keep in mind this is going on *without* the degree of mitigation we had in late March/April.

A few hospitals get their ICU beds full but the numbers start to fall off before it reaches a critical mass. Our hospitals have done a great job of adapting to the situation. Practically every hospital has a contingency to convert beds from standard medical care to critical care beds.

This is what winning looks like—given what was handed to us—from the communist government of China
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. #1097 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Another big day for dying in America yesterday.

Tuesday

8-4

USA

Total Cases 4,918,420

New Cases +54,504

Total Deaths 160,290

New Deaths +1,362

Total Recovered 2,481,680

Active Cases 2,276,450

Serious, Critical 18,407

Tot Cases/1M pop 14,851

Deaths/1M pop 484

Total Tests 61,619,037

Tests/1M pop 186,055
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (08-05-2020)

4. #1098 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

The thread I want to see on this topic is a list of lefties on this forum that succumb to it.

5. #1099 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oops. No peak yet. We had a slight dip on the way up, but we are still on the rise.

Another false alarm.

The pandemic is still getting worse, spreading further.

It is still out of control.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (08-05-2020)

7. #1100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    What is the population of Taiwan? How many ports of entry do they have? How many cities with populations over one million?

You can’t expect the same outcome everywhere. You see where DeSantis is getting ready to relax FL nursing home visitation standards because their numbers are improving?

There appears to be a trend where one state or region ‘gets hot’; numbers peak, level off then start to drop. Keep in mind this is going on *without* the degree of mitigation we had in late March/April.

A few hospitals get their ICU beds full but the numbers start to fall off before it reaches a critical mass. Our hospitals have done a great job of adapting to the situation. Practically every hospital has a contingency to convert beds from standard medical care to critical care beds.

This is what winning looks like—given what was handed to us—from the communist government of China
    160,000 dead Americans is not what winning looks like.

Calling that 'winning' is what self-fooling and blind allegiance looks like.

Taiwan and Florida have roughly the same population. Each with cities and metro areas in the millions. Taiwan was right in the cross-hairs with thousands of daily commuters back and forth to Wuhan. They immediately shut that down, didn't wait. Huge economic impact, but it was worth it. Then they required every traveler coming in to quarantine for 2 weeks, gave them 14 masks, required them to record their temperature several times per day and report it. Each quarantined person was monitored to ensure compliance with the rules. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Taiwan has 7 deaths total compared to 6500 in Florida. Taiwan does have the advantage of being an island, but most travel is by air, similar to Florida. Florida is a peninsula, which could easily create checkpoints at the mainland border. DeSantis is a Trump lackey sycophant apologist. He failed to take the needed decisive action and paid the price. His approval is way down, just like DT. Both could very likely end up being one-term wonders because they screwed this up so badly.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 08-05-2020 at 05:46 AM.

8. #1101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Darth,

160,000 dead Americans is not what winning looks like.

Calling that 'winning' is what self-fooling and blind allegiance looks like.

Taiwan and Florida have roughly the same population. Each with cities and metro areas in the millions. Taiwan was right in the cross-hairs with thousands of daily commuters back and forth to Wuhan. They immediately shut that down, didn't wait. Huge impact, but it was worth it. Then they required every traveler coming in to quarantine for 2 weeks, gave them 14 masks, required them to record their temperature several times per day and report it. Each quarantined person was monitored to ensure compliance with the rules. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Taiwan has 7 deaths total compared to 6500 in Florida. Taiwan does have the advantage of being an island, but most travel is by air, similar to Florida. Florida is a peninsula, which could easily create checkpoints at the mainland border. DeSantis is a Trump lackey sycophant apologist. He failed to take the needed decisive action and paid the price. His approval is way down, just like DT. Both could very likely end up being one-term wonders because they screwed this up so badly.
    Yet you insist this isn’t political lol.

How many large states does Taiwan border? Can people drive from a global epicenter [NYC] to Taiwan in a day or day and half? Does Taiwan have illegal immigrants entering the country with COVID and then getting lost in their population?

If all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. #1102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

How many large states does Taiwan border? Can people drive from a global epicenter [NYC] to Taiwan in a day or day and half? Does Taiwan have illegal immigrants entering the country with COVID and then getting lost in their population?

If talking about epicenters, one cannot ignore the obvious. Thousands would normally commute by sea and air from Wuhan to Taiwan. The government there shut that down. Said no, can't do it. Florida took no such action. DeSantis said each has the individual freedom to self-quarantine, with no enforcement. That was BS, not enough. Florida paid the price in deaths and a huge explosion of the virus. Taiwan kept it at bay, under control. It is out of control in Florida.

10. #1103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Darth,

If talking about epicenters, one cannot ignore the obvious. Thousands would normally commute by sea and air from Wuhan to Taiwan. The government there shut that down. Said no, can't do it. Florida took no such action. DeSantis said each has the individual freedom to self-quarantine, with no enforcement. That was BS, not enough. Florida paid the price in deaths and a huge explosion of the virus. Taiwan kept it at bay, under control. It is out of control in Florida.
    Was.

11. #1104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

An apt analogy you prove every day.

There is the matter of apples-to-apples and also scale. Taiwan has a population 300M less than the US and is smaller than West Virginia. In addition, without the rights and privileges of the US Constitution, it's easier to force people to stay in their homes albeit they are paid and protected by the government for it. The standard result of an authoritarian utopia: all your needs are cared for but you have to give up your freedom. More freedom also means more people die. Evolution in action.

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

12. #1105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    An apt analogy you prove every day.

There is the matter of apples-to-apples and also scale. Taiwan has a population 300M less than the US and is smaller than West Virginia. In addition, without the rights and privileges of the US Constitution, it's easier to force people to stay in their homes albeit they are paid and protected by the government for it. The standard result of an authoritarian utopia: all your needs are cared for but you have to give up your freedom. More freedom also means more people die. Evolution in action.

Authoritarian governments might also report their numbers ‘differently’.

I’m skeptical that Taiwan only had 7 deaths.

13. #1106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Authoritarian governments might also report their numbers ‘differently’.

I’m skeptical that Taiwan only had 7 deaths.
    Agreed there. Notice how Trump is trying to do the same in the US.

Me too.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

14. #1107 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Was.
    Florida had over 5000 new cases yesterday and 245 deaths. That is not 'under control.'

Yes, it is less than the surge experienced in the weeks following the July 4th guidelines ignorance, but spreading at a rate of over 5000 new cases per day is definitely NOT 'under control' by any stretch of the imagination.

If Hillary was president, and Gillum was the Florida governor, there is no way on this planet you would call these numbers being 'under control.'

15. #1108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,396 Times in 6,143 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trust in president Virus;

" First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-05-2020)

17. #1109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,408 Times in 10,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Yesterday, Texas added over 11,000 new cases and 200+ deaths.

It was the 5th day in the last 7 days where deaths have exceeded 200.

The fact that they're back to 11K cases a day would seem to indicate that the lagging daily death toll indicator will continue to exceed 200 for most of the next couple weeks.

Texas is going backwards, not forwards.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

18. #1110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,408 Times in 10,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Hello Darth,

Florida had over 5000 new cases yesterday and 245 deaths. That is not 'under control.'

Yes, it is less than the surge experienced in the weeks following the July 4th guidelines ignorance, but spreading at a rate of over 5000 new cases per day is definitely NOT 'under control' by any stretch of the imagination.

If Hillary was president, and Gillum was the Florida governor, there is no way on this planet you would call these numbers being 'under control.'
    Yup, and Texas had over 11,000 new cases and 205 deaths.

It was the fifth day in the last week that the death toll has exceeded 200 in Texas.

The 11K cases a day in Texas all but guarantees more days of 200+ dead for at least the next two weeks.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist