Thread: The False Narrative of Vote-By-Mail Fraud

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default The False Narrative of Vote-By-Mail Fraud

If we are to have safe, healthy, and fair elections this year in the face one of the worst pandemics in a century, Americans must make widespread use of mail ballots. Election administrators and other leaders from across the political spectrum have urged support to make the necessary adjustments to their election infrastructure. They recognize we have no choice. Most Americans, including a majority of Republicans, agree.

President Trump and his allies, however, are pushing back against this option, raising spurious claims that fraudulent mail ballots will contaminate the election. “I think a lot of people cheat with mail-in voting,” Trump said earlier this week. “Mail in voting is a terrible thing. . . . I think if you vote, you should go,” he later added, not long after he requested a vote-by-mail ballot for the Florida primary. Shortly afterward, Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel echoed the president in a Fox News op-ed. (This is in sharp contrast to former chairman Michael Steele, who coauthored an op-ed arguing that “the current emergency demands expanded use of vote-by-mail,” and that “democracy depends on it.”)

Trump’s claims are wrong, and if used to prevent states from taking the steps needed to ensure public safety during November’s election, they will be deadly wrong. Mail ballot fraud is incredibly rare, and legitimate security concerns can be easily addressed.

Mail balloting is not a newfangled idea; it was already deeply embedded in the American electoral system before the coronavirus hit. In the last two federal elections, roughly one out of every four Americans cast a mail ballot. In five states — Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah, and Washington — mail balloting has been the primary method of voting. In 28 additional states, all voters have had the right to vote by mail ballot if they choose, without having to provide any reason or excuse. Over time, a growing number of voters have chosen that option. Since 2000 more than 250 million votes have been cast via mailed-out ballots, in all 50 states, according to the Vote at Home Institute. In 2018, more than 31 million Americans cast their ballots by mail, about 25.8 percent of election participants.

Despite this dramatic increase in mail voting over time, fraud rates remain infinitesimally small. None of the five states that hold their elections primarily by mail has had any voter fraud scandals since making that change. As the New York Times editorial board notes, “states that use vote-by-mail have encountered essentially zero fraud: Oregon, the pioneer in this area, has sent out more than 100 million mail-in ballots since 2000, and has documented only about a dozen cases of proven fraud.” Rounded to the seventh decimal point, that’s 0.0000001 percent of all votes cast. An exhaustive investigative journalism analysis of all known voter fraud cases identified only 491 cases of absentee ballot fraud from 2000 to 2012. As election law professor Richard L. Hasen notes, during that period “literally billions of votes were cast.” While mail ballots are more susceptible to fraud than in-person voting, it is still more likely for an American to be struck by lightning than to commit mail voting fraud.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...ote-mail-fraud

2. The Following User Says Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-21-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,821 Times in 17,257 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

So Trump lies about elections He has done that since 2016. The truth means nothing to him. If saying elections are crooked helps him, he will proclaim it loudly and repeatedly. There have been lots of election checks and our elections have been found to be incredibly honest. Won't mail -in eliminate the terrible problem of illegals coming over the border to vote for Dems?
    I am getting so tired of arguing Trump lies. This is more Trump noise making.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-21-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,970 Times in 32,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

silly demmycrat lost this argument on his last thread; thinks he will have better luck if he tries again.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    silly demmycrat lost this argument on his last thread; thinks he will have better luck if he tries again.....
    Facts are difficult to refute, aren't they sweetie?

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,821 Times in 17,257 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    He is not familiar with such things as facts. I am amazed that people are able to convince themselves that voter fraud is rampant. But then the same people convinced themselves that Trump is qualified to be president. The vote has been checked repeatedly. It is extremely honest. That is what the righty does not want They have spent decades twisting elections into their favor. Now they may not be able to cheat. That is why Trump said with Mail-in, Repubs cannot win. That is because they cannot win a fair election.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

AProudLefty (05-21-2020), PoliTalker (05-21-2020)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Trump never said what is fraudulent in mail in balloting. Gosh, he's lying again.
    Last edited by jacksonsprat22; 05-21-2020 at 03:40 PM.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Nordberg,

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    He is not familiar with such things as facts. I am amazed that people are able to convince themselves that voter fraud is rampant. But then the same people convinced themselves that Trump is qualified to be president. The vote has been checked repeatedly. It is extremely honest. That is what the righty does not want They have spent decades twisting elections into their favor. Now they may not be able to cheat. That is why Trump said with Mail-in, Repubs cannot win. That is because they cannot win a fair election.
    They can't all be that dumb. They just have no morals. They know mail-in voting is perfectly safe. They simply fear a large voter participation rate, which will end their party rule.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Tacomaman (05-21-2020)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    absolutely.......that's why you ran away and started a new thread......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I think you people are familiar with the facts.......you just won't admit what they are.....

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Nordberg,

They can't all be that dumb. They just have no morals. They know mail-in voting is perfectly safe. They simply fear a large voter participation rate, which will end their party rule.
    here's a proposal for you........let's pick a demmycrat run area at random.....some place like Detroit or Washington DC......we do a study of an election, verifying every absentee ballot......if no unverified ballots are found I will agree mail in voting is okay......if one faulty ballot is found, you idiots will stop pretending fraud doesn't happen......

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

ntee ballots remain the largest source of potential voter fraud.’
    By John R. Lott Jr.
    April 10, 2020 6:27 pm ET
    PRINT
    TEXT
    ‘Absentee ballots remain the largest source of potential voter fraud.”
    I wonder who said that........
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/heed-ji...ng-11586557667

oh yeah, Jimmy Carter......the last honest demmycrat.....

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

absolutely.......that's why you ran away and started a new thread......
    I posted FACTS, for your kind all we get are hate filled opinions.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,217 Times in 13,952 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

here's a proposal for you........let's pick a demmycrat run area at random.....some place like Detroit or Washington DC......we do a study of an election, verifying every absentee ballot......if no unverified ballots are found I will agree mail in voting is okay......if one faulty ballot is found, you idiots will stop pretending fraud doesn't happen......
    And that there is the right's denominator for any discussion on mail in voter, "if one faulty ballot is found," you can present them with study after study showing that mail in voting is not a problem, and they will return with some isolated case in some election over the last fifty years proving that mail in voting is ripe for fraud

Explain to us there "pp" how five States have been doing it for some time now, including ruby red Utah, and they haven't recorded any significant problems

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    And that there is the right's denominator for any discussion on mail in voter, "if one faulty ballot is found," you can present them with study after study showing that mail in voting is not a problem, and they will return with some isolated case in some election over the last fifty years proving that mail in voting is ripe for fraud

Explain to us there "pp" how five States have been doing it for some time now, including ruby red Utah, and they haven't recorded any significant problems
    why are you afraid to look at Detroit?......I'm sure Utah has no problems......they're Republicans.......

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

why are you afraid to look at Detroit?......I'm sure Utah has no problems......they're Republicans.......
    25% of all votes cast in recent elections have been by mail. never once did you ever complain, until now. Its just one feeble excuse after another.